Menu

Trilobite cookies

KristenR

I've seen lots of posts on people making trilobite cookies with their kids and knew it was something I wanted to do with my kids when we hit that point. Unfortunetely my baking skills are--- sub par. Maybe even lower than that. So I knew I didn't want to do the whole cookie press thing.

I found the perfect cookies for trilobites at the super market the other day and wanted to share.

They worked great for us!!

My kids and I would like to make Microbe Cupcakes to finish off our study of microbes..any ideas?

Hmmm.. We haven't hit that yet- but I really like the thought. Have you seen these Giant Microbes plush toys? I "liked" them on facebook and every so often they have giveaways and contests that I have been trying to win. They seem pricey to me but I would love to get some.

I was just looking around for you and saw this lady's "mad cow cake".

Maybe just scrolling through the giant microbes will give you some similar ideas. OH! I got an idea... I was just looking at the age of your kids and was thinking you could have them scroll through the site and pick their microbe of choice and THEY have to concoct some sort of edible food item that resembles it. Maybe you can coordinate it into your mealplan that week.

Be warned they do have STD's listed on the page and that might open up a can of worms for some of your younger kids.... :tongue_smilie:

Hmmm.. We haven't hit that yet- but I really like the thought. Have you seen these Giant Microbes plush toys? I "liked" them on facebook and every so often they have giveaways and contests that I have been trying to win. They seem pricey to me but I would love to get some.

I was just looking around for you and saw this lady's "mad cow cake".

Maybe just scrolling through the giant microbes will give you some similar ideas. OH! I got an idea... I was just looking at the age of your kids and was thinking you could have them scroll through the site and pick their microbe of choice and THEY have to concoct some sort of edible food item that resembles it. Maybe you can coordinate it into your mealplan that week.

Be warned they do have STD's listed on the page and that might open up a can of worms for some of your younger kids.... :tongue_smilie:

Oh and one more thing- depending on your budget constraints maybe you can pick them up the corresponding microbes as stocking stuffers this year!!

Wow, I'm going off on an a tangent now- but I so want to get this waterbear!! We read a book recently that was illustrated by Neal Layton called Extreme Animals and learned about these little guys.

Yet another side note- I LOVE Neal Layton books. That one and Just the Right Size, and What's Eating you are AWESOME. The book is fun for all ages. It's advanced enough to older kids interested but engaging enough that you can water it down for younger kids and the visuals are fun.

Okay... I think I'm done. :D

Drats Happycc. Now you got me wanting to slip in an impromptu microbe unit. :glare:

Love the trilobite cookies. Would it be too weird to do that for the Christmas cookie exchange? Lol. My 9yo has such a love for trilobites, I really think we need to make those cookies. The microbe stuffed animals are adorable! Now if only they came up with Microbe-kinz and an online world to explore, we'd be buying them (you know, like Webkinz?)

Love the trilobite cookies. Would it be too weird to do that for the Christmas cookie exchange? Lol. My 9yo has such a love for trilobites, I really think we need to make those cookies. The microbe stuffed animals are adorable! Now if only they came up with Microbe-kinz and an online world to explore, we'd be buying them (you know, like Webkinz?)

Trilobites for a cookie exchange?? Heck yeah!!! That wouldn't be weird at all!!! I think its the PERFECT cookie from a homeschooling mom! Educational and tasty at the same time!! :D If I make them again I think I want to incorporate peanut butter in them. Not sure if I would melt it with the chocolate or smear some on the head first and then cover it in melted chocolate. Just another thought for you. :tongue_smilie:

After Christmas last year, we were able to get a Christmas microbes set at 50% off at our local science museum. My DD loves them :). We also found Ebola at our local Goodwill. Nothing like having your 6 yr old running through the store excitedly yelling "Mommy! I got EBOLA!!!"

:lol::lol::lol:

Trilobites for a cookie exchange?? Heck yeah!!! That wouldn't be weird at all!!! I think its the PERFECT cookie from a homeschooling mom! Educational and tasty at the same time!! :D If I make them again I think I want to incorporate peanut butter in them. Not sure if I would melt it with the chocolate or smear some on the head first and then cover it in melted chocolate. Just another thought for you. :tongue_smilie:

Mmmm...peanut butter! My biggest question about the cookie exchange is if it would somehow offend the young earth creationists. I have no idea, but not sure what they believe about trilobites and such. I'm pretty sure everyone I will exchange with will be YE:) Not starting a debate here, just wanting to avoid one in real life, lol! But if YE like trilobites, too, then I think I'll make these.

I can't speak for the YEers but I don't think they would question that trilobites ever existed just how far back they did. I wouldn't see a problem as long as you don't mention any timeframe. But then again- I'm can't speak for them. Maybe someone else can give us a better insight.

FWIW, I think it would be awesome and hope you do it.

I can't speak for the YEers but I don't think they would question that trilobites ever existed just how far back they did. I wouldn't see a problem as long as you don't mention any timeframe. But then again- I'm can't speak for them. Maybe someone else can give us a better insight.

FWIW, I think it would be awesome and hope you do it.

I tend to be in the YE side of it. I say send me some of those cookies! They have chocolate. m and m's. wahoo! I'd appreciate it and not care about oe/ye at all. I like cookies.

-crystal

OK, so I got all my trilobites ready for the cookie exchange:) They turned out adorable, and were fun to make. I had to experiment a little with the cookie press, and I just used a spritz cookie recipe. Do you mind if I link to your blog for more info (for those that want more trilobite cookie options?)