Menu

Kindle Fire vs. IPAD touch

We are debating getting one of these for my daughter. We really like the IPAD for the apps that she can really use. However it is very expensive and we do not like the fact that it can easily break. She does have IPhone touch and she loves it. She said she is fine with it. She did tell us if there is a tablet cheaper than IPAD she is fine with that as well. She is 12 years old. She took care of her IPOD and Iphone very well. Still lasting this long...

We are thinking of Kindle Fire due to the pricing and equal standing with IPAD with excpeption of apps.

Anybody have input on this??

Help me brainstorm a bit, pretty please??

Holly

I have an iPad for myself and absolutely love it! However it is not an option to buy one for all of my kids. I just ordered the Kindle Fire for 2 of mine and I feel good about the decision. We have not received them so I can't comment on how it works yet. I love the Kindle app on my iPad and it is the one I use the most. I love reading on a device and so do my kids. So we will see.

Lora in NC

I love my iPad, and so do my kids, and that is why they are getting touches for Christmas. I want my iPad backM

Originally we were thinking about the kindle fire, and I even ordered them (and returned the ones for the kids). They are very cool, but they have very little in the way of parental controls. I don't know how you have her touch set up, but with the fire there is no way to limit the Internet, app purchases, or what she can watch from streaming video (no rating settings like the iPad). Once Amazon fixes those things, then I think it will be a more comparable product. If those things don't matter to you, then go for it, because they really are cool. I got dh one for Christmas! There are also cheaper tablets out there without those controls too, so you might even be able to find a better deal on a different brand.

The fires are smaller than iPad, but bigger than the touch, so keep that in mind too.

We ordered Fires for the boys for Christmas. I've only been able to spend about an hour on one, but I think they're great. There are a lot of apps available, they can read books, and they can watch Netflix or Prime videos. They are linked to my account, and I was able to turn off 1-click purchasing on them.

My boys have internet access on a few laptops they share. They tell me what they want to google or what website they want to go to and they don't sneak around. They are very good about asking to watch things on Netflix. At this point I'm not very concerned about them changing their interactions with us regarding these things. If they do, then we'll deal with it then (most likely by removing the wireless password that allows them to get online).

My boys just spent the week playing on my Dad's ipad, and I don't think the Fires will disappoint.

I don't think the Kindle Fire is any sort of iPad competitor, BUT for that price it is a great product. Since your daughter already owns an iTouch, she will have access to the things the Fire cannot do (camera/video/microphone things like Skype, gps functions for maps, additional apps, and anything Google). If she primarily wants it for web surfing, watching videos, and reading books, it'll certainly be less strain on her eyes than the tiny touch screen she's used to. It won't replace her Touch, but it should fill in the gaps for her.

I have heard the Nook do not even accept the kindle readers so that is why I am not even considering the Nook. Is this true?

Well, I have a Nook with the Kindle reader app on it and buy my books from Amazon more frequently than B&N...But my Nook has a SD card to convert it to a tablet.

On a whole different angle I just ordered my Xmas gift for myself (from my husband. I told him I wanted an ereader and he insisted I might as well buy a tablet) and it's a Le Pan tablet. It's not a known name but I've done my research and it's made by a good manufacturer and the reviews for it are terrific. The biggest downside seems to be that it doesn't have much memory (2gb internal and comes with a 2 gb SD card) but you can easily solve that with a bigger memory card. It's an Android tablet and I bought mine for $169 Canadian on Amazon.ca. Bizarrely, it's on sale on Amazon.com as well but at $198 US. Still, it looks like a fantastic tablet that provides a lot of what an iPad does for MUCH less money.