Menu

Being Fair

I've planned on replacing dd12 and ds10's DSlites with DSi's. One of the Ds Lites will be passed down to ds5. Ds15 is getting a refurb xbox360 4G. A friend has offered to let us buy his Dsi for less than i would spend at the store.

Now the dilemma, Dd wants a red Dsi, if possible. SHe does have other choices. THe only red DSi is the Mrio bundle and would have to be bought new. Is it fair to buy her a new one considering all the boys are getting used or refurbished systems?

Thank you

It depends. Do you want to hear the other children loudly proclaiming how unfair it is that dd gets something new? To spare myself the hassle, I would give everyone the used electronics and make it clear they should be grateful. But that's just me...

If I thought that was what I would hear, that is what I would do. But I doubt the boys would even notice and I could get them something extra. If it was dd getting the used and the boys new, I would hear about it all year, but the boys wouldn't complain even if they noticed. That is what throws me, if it was the other way around, there would be a fuss. But should I make these decisions based on who makes the biggest fuss?

Wendy K has a great suggestion about finding a used red one on Amazon.

I try not to put things in terms of fairness since my kids have a keen sense for inconsistencies in parental fairness and I make it very clear life's not fair. However, if all the other children were receiving used electronics, I would be uneasy giving one child a brand new DS just because she had a specific color preference. The five year old in me would say: That's not fair...

Wendy K has a great suggestion about finding a used red one on Amazon.

I try not to put things in terms of fairness since my kids have a keen sense for inconsistencies in parental fairness and I make it very clear life's not fair. However, if all the other children were receiving used electronics, I would be uneasy giving one child a brand new DS just because she had a specific color preference. The five year old in me would say: That's not fair...

And on further inspection, the red one is an XL and ds10 is getting a regular DSi, so I'm going to have to go with her second color choice and get the refurb, so it's all even.

Thank you for helping me think through this!