Menu

Being the guidance counselor

Okay, that is it.

I am going to hire private councelors for them to work with them, whatever that "work" consists of, in spite of the fact that, in my stingy eyes, it is still going to be a wasted money. Seeing that you all are dead serious about the need for guidance from early on, I am going to accept this as one of my many personal idiosyncrasies where I part with reality and go against my instincts.

Now of course I feel like a monster, thinking about the general level of independence I require from my kids. :glare: But they also get a lot of freedom in return! :lol:

If a student at the local public school signs up for an AP class, he is automatically going to be signed up for the AP exam at the end of the course. In many cases, he won't even have to pay for the exam, because that is part of the school budget.

There is a similar effect with PSAT tests. What was an optional (taken by most college track kids) Saturday test is now a weekday test given during school hours that is often semi-mandatory for all juniors and recommended for sophomores.

In other words, there isn't much thought required by the students. There are also well worn paths for what AP courses to take which years and the rest of the schedule is designed to accomodate this pattern. (In other words, a student is less likely to have to choose between two important courses becase there is a cadre that needs/wants both so there is complimentary scheduling.)

These are the sorts of things that homeschool parents have to manage in order to make sure their kids are on track. In a B&M school, there is a decision to take an AP course and then many things follow rather automatically from that choice. At home, a student that wants to take an AP course has to seek out the books, the syllabus, research the test requirements, study independently or with a small group (often where AP isn't common among homeschoolers), find a school that is offering the test and will let him test at their site (because it's not just an online registration like SAT), etc.

Add to this the fact that homeschoolers are often more solitary or are in activities with groups having a wider age spectrum. They may lack the automatic feedback loop of having classes and teams filled with peers discussing their college options and career goals.

Not that PS guidance counselors are the be all and end all. There are plenty who could do much more. But the fact is that there is much that we (homeschool parents) have to juggle that would be done for a public school student.

Just as another example, the school district here has an annual college fair with hundreds of colleges and universities. 8,000-10,000 students attend the fair. Another large number attend the smaller college night the next day. It is open to homeschoolers, but not advertised to them except through the homeschooler grapevine. It is widely advertised at the schools in classroom announcements and newsletters. It would be hard to miss the event if your kid were in the school.

I'm all for kids taking an active role. In fact, this is something that I'm actively looking for from the students I interview for my alma mater. But I also expect that the kid in front of me has had plenty of school and parental guidance about what are challenging courses that will give him the grounds for the competitive admissions process. This happens over several years before he's sitting across from me.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if this was mere speculation.

My son wasn't premed, but he was competing for admission & scholarships, and he

- took calculus at the high school

- calculus at the CC

- and calculus at his college

That was never frowned upon. All his grades were A. I suppose if the student got poor grades?

Julie

This is what I (the bolded) was wondering at first as well, but the fact that I was unable to get a straight answer from the two medical schools I contacted coupled with the questions asked on the medical school application leads me to believe that it is not mere speculation.

I don't think math classes are as much of a problem. It is more of the sciences that are a concern. Also, as Creekland mentioned, it is not a concern for the undergrad admissions - it is a concern down the road for medical school admissions.

Okay, that is it.

I am going to hire private councelors for them to work with them, whatever that "work" consists of, in spite of the fact that, in my stingy eyes, it is still going to be a wasted money...

Now of course I feel like a monster, thinking about the general level of independence I require from my kids. :glare: But they also get a lot of freedom in return! :lol:

I never hired anyone and would consider it a waste of money with all the freely available assistance online from forums like this, college confidential, and e-mail to people in the jobs my guys want to have. Mine also get a ton of freedom. ;)

I wonder if this was mere speculation.

My son wasn't premed, but he was competing for admission & scholarships, and he

- took calculus at the high school

- calculus at the CC

- and calculus at his college

That was never frowned upon. All his grades were A. I suppose if the student got poor grades?

Julie

So far, I've only seen this as a pre-med thing. It's certainly not at all an issue for admissions to undergrad nor scholarships. It's for med school applications down the road.

This is what I (the bolded) was wondering at first as well, but the fact that I was unable to get a straight answer from the two medical schools I contacted coupled with the questions asked on the medical school application leads me to believe that it is not mere speculation.

I don't think math classes are as much of a problem. It is more of the sciences that are a concern. Also, as Creekland mentioned, it is not a concern for the undergrad admissions - it is a concern down the road for medical school admissions.

:iagree: What I've come up with is that since med school applications are so competitive that they are looking for pretty much any little nick to knock someone out before even granting an interview. This is just one of those. They have tons of students with high grades and MCAT scores applying and generally accept 10% or less of applicants. Over 50% never get accepted. I want no nicks.

Okay, that is it.

I am going to hire private councelors for them to work with them, whatever that "work" consists of, in spite of the fact that, in my stingy eyes, it is still going to be a wasted money. Seeing that you all are dead serious about the need for guidance from early on, I am going to accept this as one of my many personal idiosyncrasies where I part with reality and go against my instincts.

Only a few in this thread said they would hire a private counselor. If they think it will help their child, and they have the means to hire someone, then I don't see why that's a problem.

This thread reminds me of one of my favorite quotes: There are two ways to do something: the right way and my way, and they are both the same.

:D

• 3 months later...