Menu

Can we eat these pumpkin pies?

Yes. definitely. No problem at all. I never put pumpkin pie in the fridge.

But - if you are worried, just send them up here. We will "take care of them" for you! :D

Totally. When you refrigerate pumpkin pie, more often than not it oozes water. Not tasty. :ack2:

If it makes you feel better, I pulled my pumpkin bars - pumpkin pie with a shortbread crust, in a larger pan - out of the oven before noon yesterday and they've been sitting on the counter ever since. Althooooough... I think there's something wrong with the pan. It seems to have a Mysterious Spot of Disappearance, which has been swallowing up the bars as it grows. :D

Totally. When you refrigerate pumpkin pie, more often than not it oozes water. Not tasty. :ack2:

If it makes you feel better, I pulled my pumpkin bars - pumpkin pie with a shortbread crust, in a larger pan - out of the oven before noon yesterday and they've been sitting on the counter ever since. Althooooough... I think there's something wrong with the pan. It seems to have a Mysterious Spot of Disappearance, which has been swallowing up the bars as it grows. :D

:drool5: Recipe???

Very funny to read!

Thanks.

Just to be sure we let my husband have a piece about 30 minutes ago and so far he isn't sick! I wonder how long it would take to get sick?

Yeah. I am so relieved!

Thanks again my friends!!!!

Blessings to you!

You know, I used to work with a woman who was so traumatized by the tainted tuna scare of the, what 70s?, that she would open a can of tuna, give some to her husband and some to her dog and, if they were still alive the next morning, she'd make a sandwich from the rest for her lunch.

I think spoiled egg product makes you horrifically ill in pretty short order. No worries.

This is a tweaked (gluten-free) combination of the pumpkin bars from Joy of Baking and the (firm, already gf) pumpkin pie from Flour Arrangements:

Shortbread Crust:

Heaping 1/2 cup (50 grams) pecans

1 cup (130 grams) Gluten Free Mama's Almond Blend flour

1/2 cup (113 grams) butter, room temperature

1/2 cup (110 grams) brown sugar ( I like dark, use what you like)

1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Toast the nuts in the oven, then combine them, the sugar, and the flour in a food processor and pulse until it's fine. Add the vanilla and butter and pulse until it comes together in a sticky ball (like cookie dough). Press into a 9x13" ban lined with parchment.

Filling:

15 ounce can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling :)

½ cup brown sugar

¼ cup powdered sugar

1½ tablespoons corn starch

1 egg

¾ cup condensed sweetened milk

⅛ cup whole milk (I used the leftover evaporated milk from my white potato pie)

2 tablespoons butter

¾ teaspoon cinnamon

½ tsp salt

1 tsp ginger

½ tsp all spice

¼ tsp nutmeg

I whirred everything in the blender because the butter refused to incorporate with the mixer and it was irritating me.

Pour the filling over the crust and bake in a preheated 350F/175C oven 30-40 minutes, when it should be set and the filling edges are browning.

Cool, watching closely for signs of the Mysterious Spot of Disappearance.

Serve as you will. My vote is for covering the entire thing in whipped cream and slamming your face into it, but others might think that's bad manners.

I've attached the photo so you can see the Mysterious Spot of Disappearance. It was just a corner yesterday afternoon!

post-5597-13535085790094_thumb.jpg

post-5597-13535085790094_thumb.jpg

Edited by MyCrazyHouse