Menu

For those of you who use SOTW 4yr cycle??!

Murrayshire

I'm actually "skipping" the Modern Era (i.e., SOTW 4) and covering American History in Year 4. We'll cover the major world events (in light of American History) without getting into details of country-specific events or covering the Eastern Hemisphere this time around. This is our first time through the cycle.

I plan on covering the full four-year cycle with my oldest two the next time around and pointing out American History stuff as it occurs, plus they will hear the American History that the next two (or three) will study when they get to Year 4 of the four year cycle.

Still too far away to figure out high school. :tongue_smilie:

I kept SOTW and blended in the American history core we were doing with Sonlight. I just kept both spines (Landmark for SL and SOTW) at the same time period.

I'm doing the same thing now with SOTW 4, 2nd half of US history (though without SL core this time) and a state study for our state. We just take a little longer going through SOTW and branch out to cover US and state topics. I wish I had started a little earlier as I backtracked a little bit for state history since I wasn't doing that when we did SOTW 1 and 2.

That seemed the most logical to me honestly as I truly believe in the sequential history model of learning. I also try to do our read-alouds focused on US history, which is very very easy right now in modern.

We school year round anyway so still find enough time to cover it all in 4 years, even with putting in extra US focused stuff.

Well, we've derailed a bit on SOTW, but my original plan was that we did SOTW 1 in K, 2 in first and then followed the end of 2, which leaves off with Columbus near the end across to the New World and are doing US history now in 2nd. Meaning that we would still finish by 4th. We're probably not returning to SOTW for various reasons, but we'll definitely finish out the cycle. Hopefully by the end of 4th.

We are just starting with SOTW 1 with DD5. I plan to also continue what we've done the past year, which is read-alouds and worksheet activities about US History according to the calendar (e.g. Pilgrims & Colonial around Thanksgiving, Presidents in Feb, etc.), then really follow US History chronologically during the Modern.

In SOTW 3, I chose to skip 6 chapters in favor of expanding the 8 pages in SOTW devoted to the founding and the Revolution. I used the American Revolution for Kids as my spine. This year we are on SOTW4 and I'm omitting several chapters in favor of an in depth view of the Civil War and World War II, again using books from the For Kids series.

I kept SOTW and blended in the American history core we were doing with Sonlight. I just kept both spines (Landmark for SL and SOTW) at the same time period.

I'm doing the same thing now with SOTW 4, 2nd half of US history (though without SL core this time) and a state study for our state. We just take a little longer going through SOTW and branch out to cover US and state topics. I wish I had started a little earlier as I backtracked a little bit for state history since I wasn't doing that when we did SOTW 1 and 2.

That seemed the most logical to me honestly as I truly believe in the sequential history model of learning. I also try to do our read-alouds focused on US history, which is very very easy right now in modern.

We school year round anyway so still find enough time to cover it all in 4 years, even with putting in extra US focused stuff.

I like this!

We are using SL 1+2 right now, I was thinking picking up with SOTW 3 for 4th grade(along with our state study) and SOTW 4 for 5th grade....should I save our state study for SOTW 4 or does it matter?

Thank you for your help!

In SOTW 3, I chose to skip 6 chapters in favor of expanding the 8 pages in SOTW devoted to the founding and the Revolution. I used the American Revolution for Kids as my spine. This year we are on SOTW4 and I'm omitting several chapters in favor of an in depth view of the Civil War and World War II, again using books from the For Kids series.

Is the American Revolution for Kids a book or a website source....I know this may seem like a silly question. I googled American Revolution for Kids and it took me to a very cool website...socialstudiesforkids.com

Have you seen this?

I'm now getting excited about starting AH....We have studied cultures in 2nd grade with OM and now SL core 1+2...I would love to start SOTW so that my soon to be 4th grader can try something more hands on and my 1st grader can listen in as well. I was really wanting to start SOTW as suggested, with Ancients, but I feel like my dd8 should move on through what she has been learning instead of backtracking.

Do you think starting on SOTW 3 will be okay in the 1st grade years....planning on just doing alot of copywork/drawing/narrations/and hands on projects with alot of reading for dd5(soon to be 6)?

Thank you for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

A friend on the boards took SOTW 3, dived deeper into American History, spread it out to be ~1.5 school years and condensed SOTW 4 into a little over a semester. I am in the process of planning the same thing (literally... that's why I'm online and poking around this topic). I will omit a chapter here and there in SOTW 4 and cram and jam the last book so to speak.

I like this!

We are using SL 1+2 right now, I was thinking picking up with SOTW 3 for 4th grade(along with our state study) and SOTW 4 for 5th grade....should I save our state study for SOTW 4 or does it matter?

Thank you for your help!

I started state study at the end of SOTW 3 ... which happened to end at the Gold Rush. Our state is California, so that worked.

I backtracked though to cover earlier explorers on the coastline, native peoples, etc. I think when I start SOTW 1 next year again for the second go-round, I'm going to cover California-specific as I come to it, which won't be that much really in 1. But I do want to cover native peoples again early on (covering the Alaskian land bridge and what is believed to be the origin of native peoples in america, etc). In the 1500s and 1600s in SOTW (2 I think, early SOTW3? I'm losing track), I'll go more into detail of explorers (Vizcaino, Cabrillo, etc) on the CA coast, which again I backtracked to cover.

It depends on how you want to do it. It was easy to backtrack, even with a state with a very rich native american and sea explorer history, but I think it would have been better to integrate it for my family.

A friend on the boards took SOTW 3, dived deeper into American History, spread it out to be ~1.5 school years and condensed SOTW 4 into a little over a semester. I am in the process of planning the same thing (literally... that's why I'm online and poking around this topic). I will omit a chapter here and there in SOTW 4 and cram and jam the last book so to speak.

This is pretty much what we do.