Menu

teaching textbook question

jillian

So I was looking at TT online and looked at the year 3 placement test online and noticed that dd would be able to place into that if we were using TT (right now and we are only like 35 lessons into RSA). Is TT slower to introduce concepts? I just was surprised. She would still work the problems out with the abacus but she could do them, because the addition/subtraction/solve for the missing number is something we've already done in school.

• 1 month later...

they need more they are telling me.

They are 9 yrs old in 4th grade and doing TT5. We have been doubling the lessons so they can jump into TT6 but basically using it as review but I do have fourth grade Singapore ordered for them to work through over the summer.

• 2 weeks later...

I brought DD9 home in October from ps 4th grade. While I was researching math programs, I had her do placements for several different programs. With TT, she tested into TT6 (even though I could see there were things in TT5 she hadn't covered yet). With Singapore and MM, she couldn't test out of 3rd grade level - problems mainly in mental math, word problems, time & measurement, and geometry. I'm just pointing that out as an indication that either the placement tests, the programs, or both are at very different levels. Right now she's doing MM4A, which is just right - challenging conceptually, but just fine computationally. She needs help working through the logic of the word problems and coming up with the right "math problem" to solve - which she can then solve easily. She's also doing TT5 on days when I'm not available to help, and it is dead easy. So yes, I'd say they are *very* different programs, and at very different levels.

So I was looking at TT online and looked at the year 3 placement test online and noticed that dd would be able to place into that if we were using TT (right now and we are only like 35 lessons into RSA). Is TT slower to introduce concepts? I just was surprised. She would still work the problems out with the abacus but she could do them, because the addition/subtraction/solve for the missing number is something we've already done in school.

Yes, it is behind. It eventually catches up somewhere in high school, though. We have one of them and it's not what I'd call a rigourous program, nor am I personally impressed with how it's done overall, although there are people who are ardent fans of it. It hasn't been a hit with 2 of my dc, either.

What are you looking for in a math program & why have you decided to look into TT? Just curious. While there are certainly times when it seems to fit the bill for dc on the AL forum, it's not something I'd suggest for a mathy dc, and that's not because I'm a curriculum snob (believe me, some of my dc have used things that are not rigourous for various reasons) or because I think you have to be good at math to be accellerated in other areas.

I was just looking around at different programs to ensure that I was confident in my choice. I opted to go with Singapore though it seems like even my plans (got some stuff on sale) are getting shuffled lol.

Often Singapore is a much better choice for mathy dc than TT is. For a mathy dc I'd reserve TT for a dc who is rebelliously refusing to to any other math & it's the only way you can get it done, stay sane & teach your other dc.

Yeah dd is definitely more science/math/logic/how it works oriented. We started with Right Start A when she was 3.5 and now we are going through SM 1a because we were rapidly tiring of Right Start and we are over half way done after just a couple of days of 1a lol. It's mostly review so far.

Often Singapore is a much better choice for mathy dc than TT is. For a mathy dc I'd reserve TT for a dc who is rebelliously refusing to to any other math & it's the only way you can get it done, stay sane & teach your other dc.

I would add that I think TT is excellent for accelerating through material that the child already "gets" but needs to practice. We are using it this year for DD. She has a good grasp of Algebra, but isn't (quite) ready for the logic demands of Geometry and proofs. We are spending 6 months blasting thru TT Algebra 1 to keep her sharp while building up the logic skills.

I would add that I think TT is excellent for accelerating through material that the child already "gets" but needs to practice. We are using it this year for DD. She has a good grasp of Algebra, but isn't (quite) ready for the logic demands of Geometry and proofs. We are spending 6 months blasting thru TT Algebra 1 to keep her sharp while building up the logic skills.

Sure, that could also work, and it's different for different dc. My dds liked the humour in TT, but found that so much of TT Algebra 1 was pre-Algebra that it wasn't enough for that. What I found that worked well for my eldest when she was at that point was to redo Algebra 1 with a very rigourous text that used a different approach and that had some extra challenging things at the ends of each chapter.

You know, it's funny, I use TT for both my kids, and I like TT for different reasons for both of them. But we do supplement - not with anything formal, but with lots of problem solving and math exploration.

My truly accelerated child is my 6 yr old, 1st grade (technically), she's rolling through TT3, almost done with it. TT doesn't belabor topics, and for a child who gets it quickly, it is fantastic (IMO) for making sure their math education is well-rounded at the elementary level.

We have explored all manner of things that TT hasn't touched on yet, but and more in-depth exploration of things that TT does, but I like that TT is there every day making sure we don't miss any little lower elementary topics. We're studying ancient Greece and I started talking about Pythagoras.. she could follow me so we went into learning squares, right triangles, variables, etc.

Meanwhile there's trusty TT reviewing how to read an analog clock and a thermometer, as well as keeping her basic math operations sharp.

You know, it's funny, I use TT for both my kids, and I like TT for different reasons for both of them. But we do supplement - not with anything formal, but with lots of problem solving and math exploration.

My truly accelerated child is my 6 yr old, 1st grade (technically), she's rolling through TT3, almost done with it. TT doesn't belabor topics, and for a child who gets it quickly, it is fantastic (IMO) for making sure their math education is well-rounded at the elementary level.

We have explored all manner of things that TT hasn't touched on yet, but and more in-depth exploration of things that TT does, but I like that TT is there every day making sure we don't miss any little lower elementary topics. We're studying ancient Greece and I started talking about Pythagoras.. she could follow me so we went into learning squares, right triangles, variables, etc.

Meanwhile there's trusty TT reviewing how to read an analog clock and a thermometer, as well as keeping her basic math operations sharp.

This sounds like a great way to use TT for an accellerated dc, especially a young one :)! We did MUS along with SM, especially with my middle dd. We'd tried MUS after realizing Saxon was not a good fit, but MUS alone just wasn't enough. In the end, SM became our main one. There was no TT then.

We actually learned about SM on the old WTM AL boards.

There just isn't one way to teach all of our AL dc.

• 2 weeks later...