Menu

If I wanted to out-source math, but keep a high level of rigor, what are my options?

I need to think seriously about giving up on being DS's math teacher or it will harm our relationship irreparably. I don't know if it will be temporary or not.

He likes Singapore Math, and is actually liking Math Mammoth again, too. He was burned by MM when we first started it, so I can't try that as an independent math at the moment. FWIW, I am very much a proponent/believer in the Asian methods for math and would like to incorporate that into our math curriculum as much as possible.

Having said that.. do I have any options? An online program? DVDs? A math tutor?

I'm considering Teaching Textbooks, with Singapore CWP/IP. Has anyone done this?

Thank you in advance! :)

Once he gets to prealgebra, I highly recommend Derek Owens. I switched away from mom lessons with my younger son this year for this same reason. The bonus is that Mr Owens grades the tests and quizzes!

I'll second Derek Owens. Ds has taken several classes with him now (in person, but the classes include the same online components as the distance classes), and just loves him. I love how organized he is and the clear feedback and record-keeping.

I switched to TT at around the same age for the same reasons. It worked great! I took the parent role in math being supportive and helpful. We later added in Life of Fred that we worked through together.

I have some questions for you! :) Was this for your son or daughter? How long did you do TT + LOF? And, finally, if this was for your DS- what math did he go to after TT? (I'm not sure when pre-algebra/algebra start....?)

Really loving the AOPS/Derek Owens suggestions-they look FANTASTIC! I will need to file those away for a while, though, as my kid is wonderfully average :) in math.

Any other suggestions/options for late elementary math, for an average math kid? :bigear:

We switched our daughter to TT. It definitely helped improve our "math relationship" as I was not the one doing the teaching. BUT, I do think TT is a bit behind. I would have her take the placement test (I believe it's on the TT website), she might be a grade or so ahead.