Menu

If you want to feel like you've accomplished something

MeghanL

put all your lesson plans in a 3-ring binder and divide them into 9 week sessions. We are completing the first 9 week binder tomorrow, and I have to say I have never felt more accomplished at homeschooling!

I did that...we are finishing up week 4:tongue_smilie:

Ummmm....we are 10 weeks in.

BUT, They have been doing school everyday....just not always what is in the plan book. I am shooting for 18 full weeks...LOL. It is Sonlight Core W which is all of world history in one year...and we have been draaaagggggiiiing out Egypt and Greece because it is so much fun...and we jus want to read ONE. MORE. BOOK.

Sigh,

Faithe

I would love to do that! I bought MP Kinder and loved the plan book but then I changed so much that we are not following it anymore. My biggest problem with pre-planning is that we change curriculum or before I finish writing it all out, we are past where the plans start or we skip around. I do have the dream of next year starting all our new books at the same time and having plans for that. SIGH! We shall see if that pans out.

I like the idea of a journal. That may work out better for us. I do have a plan page my dh made but I get busy and forget t write stuff in. It is a little hard to keep up with 3 sets of lesson plans everyday. Yeah, I'm making excuses. I would be more on top of it if I lived in a state where I had to do the record keeping thing for an outside source. Texas is just wonderful for homeschooling.

Last year I did the plan for the whole year thing. It was great until we decided to break up the monotony and do a unit study, or DD was sick over and over again.

This year I am doing it differently and loving it. I, too, am doing a journal and writing what we do each day along with briefly noting any difficulties (so that I know we need to keep reviewing that) or successes (so that we can keep trying to do things that way).

put all your lesson plans in a 3-ring binder and divide them into 9 week sessions. We are completing the first 9 week binder tomorrow, and I have to say I have never felt more accomplished at homeschooling!
I do the reverse. I keep a journal and write down everything we did. I fill up at least a one subject notebook each year. It feels satisfying to go back and read all that we did.

I do both, so I should feel doubly accomplished. :D

It is fun to see my lesson plan binder get thinner... But I love going back and reading over the year.

(I keep both because my lesson plans do not always go as planned. :tongue_smilie:)

Do you keep these details for fun, because your state requires it, or some other reason?
I'm not required by state law to keep records.

I keep because

1.) It is fun to look back and it is a nice way to record our school days. I make my son a yearbook at the end of our school year and use our records for details. (Which zoo did we go to in the spring? When did we go to that museum? When was that big ice storm?)

2.) In case anything happens that someone else must step in and educate my child, either temp or ongoing. I know several instances where a husband got ill and a grandparent or a friend stepped in while the mother was unable to, plus one case where the mother passed away. I want someone to be able to come behind me and know what my child has been doing educationally.

I just marked where the quarters start in my TM, and it was, indeed, quite encouraging! I had been feeling like we've been creeping along, but it's not quite as slowly as I'd thought ;).