Menu

Anne Frank question.

srainbow

I just would appreciate some input here. My 6th grade daughter is 11. We are studying modern times this year. I am afraid to introduce The Diary of Anne Frank but I also want her to know the seriousness of the world. It impacted my life greatly but I can not remember how old I was when I read it, plus I had seen more of the world as a child than my lovely homeschooled child of a christian two parent home has. Just some thoughts? Thank you.

My daughter is 11 and I know that she wouldn't be ready for Anne Frank yet. I think I was probably 12 or 13 when I read it, but I'm not comfortable introducing DD11 to it yet.

There are some other wonderful stories that deal with the topic, but are a bit more gentle about the specifics and the horrors than TDOAF. Maybe she'd enjoy those instead? My daughter has read several this year.

I would think that if you have been reading any OT Bible stories you would be able to read Anne Frank together. If you read and discuss the book together it will be a great opportunity to deal with the reality of sin and evil in the world but also Romans 8:28. I would also keep in mind that reading is better than watching. The images on screen would be too disturbing imho but reading it doesn't have the same impact.

Anne Frank is kind of tedious, IMO, and more about living cramped up with a bunch of people than it is about the Holocaust.

If your daughter is sensitive, consider "Number the Stars". It is tame, and deals more directly with the subject of the Holocaust.

For the more mature student I would probably go straight to "Night" by Elie Wiesel. This book way more appropriately captures the emotional reality of the Holocaust.

The Diary of Anne Frank is worth reading, but not as a stand-alone literary overview of the Holocaust, I don't think.

I would think that if you have been reading any OT Bible stories you would be able to read Anne Frank together. If you read and discuss the book together it will be a great opportunity to deal with the reality of sin and evil in the world but also Romans 8:28. I would also keep in mind that reading is better than watching. The images on screen would be too disturbing imho but reading it doesn't have the same impact.

I should add that I said read together on purpose because that way you could tone down some of the more detailed descriptions of horrible things as you are reading.

I was about 13 when I read Anne Frank translated in Greek (I was living in Greece at the time). I remember it was right after watching the Holocaust (it had just made it to Greek television :tongue_smilie:) and I wanted to live in my mind what it must have been like for a girl my age to be living through those difficult times. Had I known about it at 11, I more than likely would have read it then. All that to say that, when your child is ready, will not be the same for every child. You know your child best. If you feel she is not ready yet, then she most likely is not ;).

Anne Frank is kind of tedious, IMO, and more about living cramped up with a bunch of people than it is about the Holocaust.

If your daughter is sensitive, consider "Number the Stars". It is tame, and deals more directly with the subject of the Holocaust.

For the more mature student I would probably go straight to "Night" by Elie Wiesel. This book way more appropriately captures the emotional reality of the Holocaust.

The Diary of Anne Frank is worth reading, but not as a stand-alone literary overview of the Holocaust, I don't think.

I agree with DoAF and Number the Stars, but please preread Night. I found it highly disturbing. It certainly belongs in modern studies, but I would recommend it for a high school study not elementary.

We had an opportunity to go the Amsterdam last March (and couldn't pass up seeing the Anne Frank House). DD was 9 at the time and we made her diary a required prereq. before seeing the house. She read it without any nightmares but didn't necessarily understand all elements. There are some fantastic children's biographies out there. Have you considered starting with one of those as a lead up to the Diary?

I agree with DoAF and Number the Stars, but please preread Night. I found it highly disturbing. It certainly belongs in modern studies, but I would recommend it for a high school study not elementary.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit and Number the Stars are both (IMO) good. And I would wait to read Anne Frank until at least 13 or 14. It's a slow moving book and so incredibly sad to find out what happens to her.

I would not suggest Night to anyone under 15 with 16, 17, or 18 being my preference. A book that probably should be read, but NOT easy to read. (Not the words or sentence structure, but rather the content.)

HTH

Edited by MicheleinMN
Added Anne Frank comment

I think I was 11 or very close to it when I read Anne Frank. I did find it incredibly sad. As others have said, it depends on the child. I think my 12 yo DS wouldn't be too disturbed by the content, but he would hate the slow pace.

My 10th grader is currently reading Night. He's pretty mature and well read for a 15 year old. I wouldn't have wanted him reading it before this year.

To be clear, I was recommending Night to consider for the 9th grader not the 6th grader.

I didn't find Night as difficult as most people claim, but maybe that's because I am Jewish and was told about the Holocaust a lot earlier and more frequently than most people, as it affected people in my family. So none of the content came as a surprise to me, really.

Edited by zenjenn

I just would appreciate some input here. My 6th grade daughter is 11. We are studying modern times this year. I am afraid to introduce The Diary of Anne Frank but I also want her to know the seriousness of the world. It impacted my life greatly but I can not remember how old I was when I read it, plus I had seen more of the world as a child than my lovely homeschooled child of a christian two parent home has. Just some thoughts? Thank you.

try this one -- http://www.amazon.com/Upstairs-Room-Trophy-Newbery-Paperback/dp/B0033XKSLC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1320796553&sr=8-3 it is a better story, imo, of the war and a bit less scary --

I read AF in Junior High -- i remember talking about it in the locker room, LOL

or this one

http://www.amazon.com/Number-Stars-Lois-Lowry/dp/0547577095/ref=pd_sim_b_6

My daughter is 11 and I know that she wouldn't be ready for Anne Frank yet. I think I was probably 12 or 13 when I read it, but I'm not comfortable introducing DD11 to it yet.

There are some other wonderful stories that deal with the topic, but are a bit more gentle about the specifics and the horrors than TDOAF. Maybe she'd enjoy those instead? My daughter has read several this year.

I appreciate so much responses from so many of you. I may wait for my 11 year old to read this book. Her older sister said... she should wait Mom. I have read Night. I am still debating if my older daughter should even read that one yet. I appreciate any other suggestions for gentle reading. I guess I just wanted my younger one to get a nonfiction introduction first but maybe that is not possible at her age. So far I've seen number the stars and boy in the pink pajamas? And The pink rabbit one?

I would add that my older girl will read Corrie Ten Boom's The Hiding Place.

I appreciate so much responses from so many of you. I may wait for my 11 year old to read this book. Her older sister said... she should wait Mom. I have read Night. I am still debating if my older daughter should even read that one yet. I appreciate any other suggestions for gentle reading. I guess I just wanted my younger one to get a nonfiction introduction first but maybe that is not possible at her age. So far I've seen number the stars and boy in the pink pajamas? And The pink rabbit one?

I would add that my older girl will read Corrie Ten Boom's The Hiding Place.

In addition to Number the Stars, my daughter also enjoyed Journey to America and Snow Treasure. Snow Treasure was based on a true story.

For the inverse of Anne Frank (starts out bad and ends well), you could try North to Freedom (now also known as I Am David), by Anne Holm, which is widely acclaimed and should be more appropriate for an eleven-year-old.

(I have never read either The Diary of Anne Frank nor North to Freedom, although it's certainly interesting me now. I did read The Hiding Place and Night in high school, however, and I have to say that Wiesel's philosophy makes the latter less useful for historical information than you might expect. Since I completely disagreed with his philosophy, I didn't get much from the book at all, in fact, which sounds kind of sad but remains the truth. I will agree that that one is definitely a high school book.)

I think I was 9 or 10 when my dad and I read AF together. I don't remember being disturbed by it, but I know I didn't totally understand it. I reread it in jr. high on my own and understood it a whole lot more.

Number the Stars is excellent - one of my favorite books from childhood. But of course anything by Lois Lowry is fantastic! (I actually red NTS later since it didn't come out until after we had read AF).

For the inverse of Anne Frank (starts out bad and ends well), you could try North to Freedom (now also known as I Am David), by Anne Holm, which is widely acclaimed and should be more appropriate for an eleven-year-old.

(I have never read either The Diary of Anne Frank nor North to Freedom, although it's certainly interesting me now. I did read The Hiding Place and Night in high school, however, and I have to say that Wiesel's philosophy makes the latter less useful for historical information than you might expect. Since I completely disagreed with his philosophy, I didn't get much from the book at all, in fact, which sounds kind of sad but remains the truth. I will agree that that one is definitely a high school book.)

can you explain that a bit, i have not read the book