Menu

Aidan (a puppy) will not eat!

He won't eat any variety of Taste of the Wild canned or dry, 4Health, Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lovers Soul canned or dry, Merrick dry or canned food.

I think he is holding out for real food. He won't eat the dry dog food even with scrambled eggs or real meat or Parmesan, cheddar, or mozzarella cheese or yogurt or canned pumpkin mixed in. He will eat all that stuff as long as dog food doesn't share space in the bowl with it.

Now what? Do I starve my baby?

I mean, if I were giving advice, I'd say put the food down 2x a day for 20 minutes, and eventually dog will be hungry enough to eat it.

But this is my baby, and I want him to Love and Enjoy his food.

He is not sick. He is eating his limited ingredient treats and enthusiastically playing with his new frog.

no treats or real food right now unless you are going to change to a BARF diet.

measured out food in a bowl for 15-20 minutes 2-3 times a day. during that time if he does not eat remove the food bowl. Same thing later. BUT no treats except the water in between either. No chewies/biscuits/table food or anything.

You know, my sister went through this with her wheaten when he was puppy. I think he was younger at the time though. She tried a variety of foods too, but no luck. She ended up spoon feeding him for a while. Then he started eating again. :tongue_smilie: I don't remember how long it lasted, or what happened that he started eating on his own again. Hopefully Aidan gives up soon.

She ended up spoon feeding him for a while.

I fed him his dinner from a spoon last night. It's the only way he would eat it. I didn't mind, but the boys thought I was nuts.

Soon after I posted, while I was on the phone, Aidan opened the door to the dog food container and was eating the very food he has refused to eat out of his bowl. I see now why that door has a place to put a padlock on it.

Also, sometime between then and killing a mouse, he ate his dinner all by himself.

Edited by RoughCollie

I disagree w/ the put it down for 20 minutes and then take it up. Put dry food in his bowl, and leave it there. No treats. He will eat when he is hungry. When we got our lab pups sometimes they were just too busy (can you say ad/hd) to slow down to eat. Now, at 3, the bowls get emptied almost immediately.

When our puppy wasn't eating, all I needed to do was add about one teaspoon of whatever we were eating... a tiny amount of gravy, or sauce, etc. It got him eating again, and over time I was able to eliminate even the teaspoon-ful of extra flavor.

He won't eat any variety of Taste of the Wild canned or dry, 4Health, Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lovers Soul canned or dry, Merrick dry or canned food.

I think he is holding out for real food. He won't eat the dry dog food even with scrambled eggs or real meat or Parmesan, cheddar, or mozzarella cheese or yogurt or canned pumpkin mixed in. He will eat all that stuff as long as dog food doesn't share space in the bowl with it.

Now what? Do I starve my baby?

I mean, if I were giving advice, I'd say put the food down 2x a day for 20 minutes, and eventually dog will be hungry enough to eat it.

But this is my baby, and I want him to Love and Enjoy his food.

He is not sick. He is eating his limited ingredient treats and enthusiastically playing with his new frog.

Um...isn't he full of mouse?

Oh, and ill-gotten dog food?

:lol::auto::lol::auto:

Edited by Cheryl in NM

I disagree w/ the put it down for 20 minutes and then take it up. Put dry food in his bowl, and leave it there. No treats. He will eat when he is hungry. When we got our lab pups sometimes they were just too busy (can you say ad/hd) to slow down to eat. Now, at 3, the bowls get emptied almost immediately.

Many people successfully free feed their dogs and cats but their are also downsides to doing that as well.

I normally recommend feeding at regular times as it makes it much easier to

1) notice if they are feeling ill

2) give medication with food

3) determine how much an animal is eating at a time

4) cleanliness. it allows you to properly clean the bowls after meals. Bacteria that settles in the bowl from eating can cause potential health issues.

When our puppy wasn't eating, all I needed to do was add about one teaspoon of whatever we were eating... a tiny amount of gravy, or sauce, etc. It got him eating again, and over time I was able to eliminate even the teaspoon-ful of extra flavor.

I recall one dog that the owners had to pick up the bowl, make clomping sounds, and put it down. Then the dog would eat. We joked about it being the reincarnation of a Roman emperor, needing a taster and all.

Just so you know what you are dealing with: I am a proponent of "real" food. How about a little ground beef with some veggies, pasta, rice or bread?

My big boy eats like this every day and is ever so happy and sleek looking.

Your guy is too cute for words. That expression on his face...:lol:

Just so you know what you are dealing with: I am a proponent of "real" food. How about a little ground beef with some veggies, pasta, rice or bread?

My big boy eats like this every day and is ever so happy and sleek looking.

Your guy is too cute for words. That expression on his face...:lol:

Aidan gets real food, too, which I mix in with his dog food. He gets eggs, cheese, plain organic yogurt, plain pumpkin, raw carrots, chicken, and beef. So far, carrots are the only vegetable he likes.

I have to be careful about what I feed him because many Wheatens are allergic to soy, wheat, rice, corn, beef, and chicken. I'm careful about what he eats, both to make sure he doesn't have an allergic reaction to food I can't identify specifically, and to make sure he gets all the nutrients he needs.