Menu

I think something is wrong with my iMac

Can anyone help me?

I have called tech support twice. I have been on the phone with them each time for over an hour.

For some very strange reason, my internet is VERY glitchy on this computer. If I am streaming a show for example, it will let me get into the show about 3 to 5 minutes, will then stop and then the entire video will re-start from the beginning. It will do this over and over again.

The internet is the same. Sometimes it will be lightning fast and other times it will glitch and hiccup and I will have to close the browser and start over.

I would say this is an internet problem but I can have my MacBook sitting right next to my iMac and it doesn't do any of those things.

I just got this at the end of Aug and am wondering what Apple does in a case like this.....do they take it in and fix it or will they exchange it?

I am quite sure they will not take the time to play a full 5 min. of something to see what the problem is and am afraid they will try a few seconds and think I am nuts because it "works just fine."

Anyone here ever had a problem with an Apple product? What did they do?

Dawn

No answers? I count on you all to know EVERYTHING~! :D

Ok, a 3rd call to APPLE today and yes, I am buying Applecare!

Anyway, this last guy was VERY helpful and I think this is a LION/SAFARI update glitch.

Doesn't help though.

Not sure if this will help, but we had a similar problem when we got our new iMac a couple of years ago. We found that *all accounts* other than the one you are using need to be logged out (not just sleeping) in order for streaming video to work smoothly. The only other thing I can think of that would cause that sort of problem is a firewall or adblock or some sort of parental screening. (Yes, I know you've probably already thought of that, but I just thought I would toss it out there!)

Ah, well, if everything else has to be closed out I am going to cry. The whole reason I LOVE the 27" screen is because I can surf while streaming!

It works just fine on my small screen MacBookPro but it is hard to have two screens open at once.

I did close all the firewall stuff.

ARGH!

Dawn

Not sure if this will help, but we had a similar problem when we got our new iMac a couple of years ago. We found that *all accounts* other than the one you are using need to be logged out (not just sleeping) in order for streaming video to work smoothly. The only other thing I can think of that would cause that sort of problem is a firewall or adblock or some sort of parental screening. (Yes, I know you've probably already thought of that, but I just thought I would toss it out there!)

He did also say that it could be that the flashdrive needs updating to go with the Mac updates but that since that is a 3rd party company he can't help me with that! :glare:

An outdated flash will cause problems. Go here and see if you have the latest. If not, download the update and see if that helps.

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Also, you should be able to find Flash in your system preferences. Open it and set the preferences to automatically check for updates if you haven't already.

No, we shut it down completely at night.

Dawn

Do you shut it down at night? Dumb question (maybe everyone does this) but I was just shutting the screen of my MacBook and not actually shutting it down, and it also got "glitchy." Actually shutting down helped.

I plan to take it in when we get back from vacation.

Thanks,

Dawn

Have you checked the forums on the Apple website? Or just google the problem you're having?

How close is the nearest Apple store? I'd take it to the genius bar. Make an appointment.

Wendi

Unfortunately it is doing that in Firefox as well.

I really think this is a LION issue.

Dawn

I've only had a macbook, so I'm not too sure what's happening with yours... Can you try downloading a different internet browser, like Firefox, and see if that helps things?