Menu

What grade do I call her?

My daughter will be taking a class that asks her grade level. Typically I call her a kindergartener because that's what she is by age. This class is done via private instruction, though, so socially it doesn't matter. She has not been tested, but her brother was identified as gifted. While she is different from him, they are close enough that I can very comfortably assume she is as well. All the curricula we use is mostly for a range of grades: Miquon, FIAR, AAS, etc. The only one that has a specific grade on it is Singapore Math 1. I teach her church class on Sunday (so K age) and she is in a completely different spot than her peers there. Should I call her a first grader for the purpose of this instruction or should I just say she's K?

Unless she needs to be a 1st grader to get in, I'd stick with calling her grade by age-it's just plain easier to have the same grade for everything, and normally age is what people want to know. I do have my fall birthday DD one year ahead of her grade in school due to a PS grade skip-but since she only missed the cutoff by a few weeks (November birthday, September 30 cutoff), she isn't obviously younger than the rest.

I only bump dd6's grade if it's necessary to get her in to a particular class. When asked what grade she's in I normally answer with, "she's 6 and if she was in school she would be in first grade" and leave it at that. At a few classes we attend (AWANA's and a fine arts co-op) I do list her as 2nd grade because there is a difference between curriculum in the 1st & 2nd grade groups and she fits in better with the 2nd grade group. She is big for her age and socializes well with all age groups. If I were to place her where she actually is academically it would be much higher but as pp mentioned I keep her with the group where it's not obvious that she's the youngest/smallest. I imagine as she gets older and we start doing some additional co-op type things we'll have to make some adjustments but for now this is working.

So she'd be working one on one with a teacher? If so, I'd just call her K and let them meet a few times to let the teacher "discover" where's she's any weight. Any good teacher/tutor instructing this way will quickly come to know your child's abilities.