Menu

Has anyone ever bought a Heritage Turkey for Thanksgiving?

I'm assuming heritage just means one of any number of older breeds. I haven't tried turkeys but with chickens my rather limited experience has been that heritage or not, what really makes a difference in how they taste is how they lived. Otherwise the differences are pretty subtle and, IMO, not always worth the extra money.

Our free-ranged commercial broiler chickens that we raised this summer are fantastic. They're exactly the same kind of chicken you buy in the grocery store but letting them eat a more varied diet and run around all day made for a more flavourful and firmer meat. So I would pay more for that I guess. But heritage breeds? Not likely. It's important to remember that commercial breeds have been bred for some good qualities like fast growth (more tender meat when you can process them younger) and more meat and even, yes, flavour so as far as taste goes I tend to think it's a toss up.

If it's in your bidget, give it a try. If you're stretching your budget I think I'd go instead for commercial turkeys that have been raised ethically.

I'm not sure what that is, but one year we bought a local organic turkey. NEVER AGAIN! The turkey was WAY too small for us and there were hidden costs that were not disclosed up front. All I remember was paying $75 for a small turkey.

Since then we have found that the turkeys at Weis (I forget the brand) do not have MSG and they sell them as a loss leader the week before Thanksgiving. We can get a 25-lb. turkey for about $12. We usually buy two: one for Thanksgiving and a smaller one for later.

I do, each year, but as another poster noted, how they live is more important than the breed. I order from a local farm where I know the farmer and she only takes 30 orders a year to keep her flock small. I know how she raises them and where they pasture and such....I would not order from a store selling heritage birds though - they're pricey for one, but you also don't know if they're coming from a much larger farm and how they're being raised. How they're raised does matter!

I do!

Although I do care less about the "heritage" aspect and more about the free range/happy life/organic feed issues. So I don't know how much the breed matters with all the other factors for taste.

But yes, I do want my turkeys to be able to reproduce on their own. I want them to be able to run and play and do whatever else we've bred out of the commercial poultry. And many of the heritage breeds are also gorgeous. :)

I do!

Although I do care less about the "heritage" aspect and more about the free range/happy life/organic feed issues. So I don't know how much the breed matters with all the other factors for taste.

But yes, I do want my turkeys to be able to reproduce on their own. I want them to be able to run and play and do whatever else we've bred out of the commercial poultry. And many of the heritage breeds are also gorgeous. :)

This, exactly.:001_smile:

I do!

Just a note. I kept hearing about how Cornish X's (the commercial broiler chickens we raised) are lazy and un-chickeny beasts.

But again,I think it's how people choose to raise them. Certainly ours weren't as active as our commercial layers and heritage breeds but put outside to free range at 3-4 weeks our scoured our lawn for slugs (bless them) , chased each other, ran after us for treats and generally behaved VERY much like chickens. They were healthy, fit, active and fun birds and I still miss them (although they come out of freezer camp for occasional visits! :D) They don't breed true, being hybrids, but they aren't infertile.

I will agree that they aren't gorgeous like my Cochin or Polish but gosh, they have their own kind of cuteness and can give you the stink eye like NO other chicken. :D

We're trying commercial turkeys next year, I'm hoping I'm as happy with them as I was my beloved CX's.

Edited by WishboneDawn
changed they're to their. I do know which one to use!!!! I promise!!!

I do!

:)

So, do they really have more dark meat and a smaller breast? Do they take less time to cook? Are they juicy?

Thanks!

I watched the videos on a website that supposedly raises the best heritage turkeys...Mary's is the name. I certainly don't want to spend a lot of money on a turkey that is going to be the same as an organic free-range that is priced much less.

I don't have the option of getting a turkey from a local farm. I wish I did.

Thanks!

~Holly

I will agree that they aren't gorgeous like my Cochin or Polish but gosh, they have they're own kind of cuteness and can give you the stink eye like NO other chicken. :D

Stink eye! That's funny! Our local zoo has three Heritage Turkeys (the ones with the blue coloring on their heads) and, they also give us the stink eye!!

Smiles!

~Holly

So, do they really have more dark meat and a smaller breast? Do they take less time to cook? Are they juicy?

Thanks!

I watched the videos on a website that supposedly raises the best heritage turkeys...Mary's is the name. I certainly don't want to spend a lot of money on a turkey that is going to be the same as an organic free-range that is priced much less.

I don't have the option of getting a turkey from a local farm. I wish I did.

Thanks!

~Holly

I do think the turkeys and chickens I get have less breast meat, yes. And that does stink because that is my favorite part. :)

However in the chickes at least, the meat is more flavorful. I don't think there's more dark meat per se, but there is definitely less fatty stuff.

Taste wise, I think they are better although my caveat on the turkey thing is that I brine my bird in an apple cider and brine mix so there's a subtle flavor from that throughout the bird.

I'm going to be traveling for Thanksgiving this year and I've been thinking of getting one of the heritage turkeys from Williams Sonoma. I need to start checking around Grand Rapids since that's where we'll be celebrating Thanksgiving. I'm going to miss my local guy's birds up here.

I do think the turkeys and chickens I get have less breast meat, yes. And that does stink because that is my favorite part. :)

However in the chickes at least, the meat is more flavorful. I don't think there's more dark meat per se, but there is definitely less fatty stuff.

Taste wise, I think they are better although my caveat on the turkey thing is that I brine my bird in an apple cider and brine mix so there's a subtle flavor from that throughout the bird.

I'm going to be traveling for Thanksgiving this year and I've been thinking of getting one of the heritage turkeys from Williams Sonoma. I need to start checking around Grand Rapids since that's where we'll be celebrating Thanksgiving. I'm going to miss my local guy's birds up here.

Thanks!

~Holly

One thing you might notice is the colour will be different. Most commercial turkeys are white with white skin, and a heritage breed won't be.

I would go for a small farm raised organic bird over a commercial flock heritage bird, but I do like the use of heritage breeds. They have a lot to offer genetically but if people don't eat them, no one will raise them.

One thing you might notice is the colour will be different. Most commercial turkeys are white with white skin, and a heritage breed won't be.

I would go for a small farm raised organic bird over a commercial flock heritage bird, but I do like the use of heritage breeds. They have a lot to offer genetically but if people don't eat them, no one will raise them.

Thanks for the info. The heritage bird I am looking at is not from a commercial source. However, I am still going to consider an organic depending on the info I get at the store regarding the source.

~Holly

I saw those at my cousins this summer (he processed our CX's for us). They're what we're going to try raising next summer along wiht more Cornish X's. Not sure they'll be as loveable as my CX's were but then I wasn't expecting that the CX's would be loveable.

I just can't bring myself to pay the $5/pound for a heritage turkey. Last year I bought - if I remember correctly - an organic free-range turkey for $2/pound. Which was 3 times the price of most stores' turkeys. I was happy to do it, but I just can't go to $5/pound.

I called the Whole Foods store that is going to carry them and they are selling them for less than that. $5 a pound is a bit steep!

~Holly