Menu

Having regrets re: SL with my 4th grader. Rethinking my History plans.

smilesonly

We have Core D-Intro to American History-and I have yet to actually follow the IG. Things that aren't working...

-Ds doesn't like hopping from book to book. He wants to read a book, finish it and go on to the next.

-He *strongly* dislikes the Story of the USA book. Absolutely refuses to do it.

-The mapping just isn't getting done.

-I didn't buy a new core, and own only some of the books. The rest I have been getting (or, trying to!) from the library. This has resulted in fines and long waits for a few ILL.

-As much as I really wanted to like the LA portion, it is a bad fit.

What we are currently doing is the read alouds and the lit. That's it.

As I look ahead, I don't see us continuing with SL. I'm sure we'll use the books, I just can't see us using it anywhere close to the way it is set up.

Now I find myself rethinking history. I NEED to simplify. Maybe I should reconsider how we will approach history both now and in the future. It is ONE subject, yet it feels so overwhelming. Maybe I was wrong to never start ds on a 4yr chronological history cycle.:confused:

What ds loves (so far) about "Social Studies" is Geography and listening to RAs of historical fiction.

Okay, well, I am certainly throwing it all out there in a not so neat and tidy way.:tongue_smilie:

Dare I ask for thoughts?

This is what is so hard. It is hard to say you don't like SL when you are missing componets of it.

Anyway I'll give some other thoughts down below.

We have Core D-Intro to American History-and I have yet to actually follow the IG. Things that aren't working...

Did you try to use it? How? Personally I use the IG as a guide not as a dictator on exactly what to do each day.

-Ds doesn't like hopping from book to book. He wants to read a book, finish it and go on to the next.Hoping through what books? Most people read everything to the child except the readers. So he for the way sl lays it out would only be reading one book.

so for the other hopping, that will happen, or well not. Some things you won't finish but others you can choose to do it if you want. I did usually just read one "novel" book at a time. I tried to read it quicker than the schedule but sometimes that didn't happen others it did. I also utilized books on audio too.

-He *strongly* dislikes the Story of the USA book. Absolutely refuses to do it.AH this is a strange addition to SL, It was put in more for people who felt they "needed" a workbookish book. I did it aloud with my boys, usually just reading the story, occasionally going over the questions but not usually.

ah mapping is difficult here too

-I didn't buy a new core, and own only some of the books. The rest I have been getting (or, trying to!) from the library. This has resulted in fines and long waits for a few ILL.

Sorry it is tough to do that. Have you looked for the books you don't have used? I always have overdue fines drives me crazy. It would probably be worth the sanity to have the books on hand. You only have to buy the ones that you are less likely to get easily from the library. I always bought the ones that had fewer than 3 options.

What year did you get. there were a few years where things were bad. that said I did little LA stuff until the boys were older. We did Winston Grammar in 4th/5th grade though

ARe you reading the history books?

As I look ahead, I don't see us continuing with SL. I'm sure we'll use the books, I just can't see us using it anywhere close to the way it is set up.

Now I find myself rethinking history. I NEED to simplify. Maybe I should reconsider how we will approach history both now and in the future. It is ONE subject, yet it feels so overwhelming. Maybe I was wrong to never start ds on a 4yr chronological history cycle.:confused:

What ds loves (so far) about "Social Studies" is Geography and listening to RAs of historical fiction.

Okay, well, I am certainly throwing it all out there in a not so neat and tidy way.:tongue_smilie:

Dare I ask for thoughts?

I'm not a big fan of Sonlight's way of doing things either. We spent a few months trying to do Core B this summer expecting to try to get through B and C in 2 summers + 1 school year. I didn't like being told to read a couple pages per day. The books ARE good choices, but I don't like the LA or the schedule. I ended up reading The Well Trained Mind and am sold on the 4 year history cycle (supplementing plenty of US history when appropriate throughout the cycle). So I dropped Sonlight this summer and started doing a US history program for 1 year with the intention of starting the 4 year cycle next year. Two full cycles is still a good, solid history program! I vote to move to the 4 year cycle either now or next year. Take it easy and enjoy the books :)

I'm not really loving my History Spine but use it when I like it and I add in plenty of library books to help cement what we are learning.

The hopping from book to book is one reason I did not continue with sonlight. For history we have been doing story of the world, love it. We listen to the audio then my son does a lapbook page, which is really just a written narration of what he learned and then we place that narration on a timeline.

In the past years I ordered only the readers, but didn't this year when it no longer came with a reading schedule you had to purchase the core. I am liking the veritas press books with literature guides. Hope this helps.

-Ds doesn't like hopping from book to book. He wants to read a book, finish it and go on to the next.

Dare I ask for thoughts?

Some people follow the IG horizontally. So instead of reading a little of each book during the week...they read all the pages of one book monday, all the pages of another book tuesday, etc.

We dont do Sonlights mapping either. For history we may just get out the globe or look on the wall map and point out were in history we just read about. Or if our literature book talks about a certain location we do the same thing. My kids have picked up a lot of geography from doing doing it casually and informally.

I am piecing our core together this year also. I am just buying what I need as we go. You might look at amazon, ebay, or half.com for cheap used books. I would never be able to rely on our library for books either.

As far as him refusing to do a book...I wouldn't allow that. Even at public school they sometimes have to read things they don't want to. When they grow up and start working they will also have to do things they don't want to. Education/work isn't always fun, but it sometimes has to get done anyways.

If you think Sonlight insn't going to work for you then I recommend History Odyssey. It looks amazing, and it is what I almost went with this year. Fifth grade and up is meant to be done independantly also. So that would be something to consider for next year. You can still add Sonlight read alouds to History Odyssey.

I'm thinking you are talking about core 3 or core 4?? I don't know their new designations. The way we did the American History core was this:

I glanced at the used IG that I bought for 10 or 15 dollars. I got most of my books practically free by trading in my old books and using the credit to buy them at the used book store. Also, our library has a used book sale in their basement. People just donate books. Paperbacks are 25 cents. I went down there once a week to see what they had.

Ok, then I ignored the IG.

I organized my books by time period and added extra ones that I had as well. My boys read VERY quickly. We made a notebook as we went. Sometimes it was paragraphs on a person we studied, sometimes it was a chart about a battle, sometimes it was pictures ( we travel a ton: went to Yorktown, Civil War battlesites, place where Star Spangled Banner was written) of where we had gone along with written descriptions.

We didn't do Story of the USA. The notebook worked instead of it. AS a far as maps, I just put one on the wall and refered to it now and then. We loved it all and had a ball.

If you search under choirfarm in the American History forum on Sonlight, I think I called it Core 3 plan and Core 4 plan. You should find my list of resources. I can't post anymore and don't have it because that computer is gone now. I hope that helps. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. I hated their schedule. It never worked. We just did things on our own pace, going until we were done. I read a history selection at snack time, the readaloud at lunch and then they read a lot on their own for fun. They had to work on their notebook every day for 20 or 30 minutes as well.

Christine

We're using SL for K here. I've basically created a new schedule for myself. We didn't like the jumping around either, so I would see what topic we were supposed to cover for the week, then schedule in the pages and reading. I felt we got a more thorough view of the time period this way, vs. doing bits and pieces of it over several weeks. We probably won't continue with SL for 1st, but will use the books.

We were happy SL users until we hit core D or 3 or whatever it is now. See responses below.

This was partially a problem here too. Ds was always ahead of the reader schedule even with the advanced readers. We use a book basket with extra books to read now.

My ds hated this book too. Actually, it felt very unSonlightish. We had used cores P4/5-2. We didn't like the workbook aspect.

After doing TOG now, I really don't like SL mapping. I really prefer the mapping from TOG. I also like how STOW does mapping. Much more useful, IMO if your going to spend your time mapping.

The LA didn't work here either. I prefer WWE and FLL. I like the hand holding that they do. SL was just too vague for us in the LA department.

I love the 4 year cycle. If you like it, you just need to figure how to make it work for you. There are lots of good ways to accomplish it.

Dare I ask for thoughts?

Hope you find what works.

Here are some ideas we do:

Skip the Story of the USA - it's really not that important.

We just go easy on the mapping - if we think to look it up, great; if not, we just do it later; and if we really don't get to it, I don't sweat it.

I have to admit, I adore having all the books on hand - we bought used and were missing a few books but not many. It's cheaper for me than all the library fines. :)

LA didn't work for us though I really like it. We just weren't on the right level.

The way our day works with SL is to do the core history reading during our "history" time during the day. They have their own reader to take and read at their leisure so long as its done each day. We do (usually) the read-aloud every night after dinner. This has broke it up and made it not seem quite so scattered for us.

I did try making up my own excel spreadsheet that put everything into a more chronological order with the core history readings and then the books that went along with it and we wouldn't move on to the next section until we were finished with whatever books we read. However, it wasn't getting done this way so I went back to the schedule/IG and I'm more comfortable with it now.

One thing I'd recommend is using a timeline to tie events together too. That way if you read something out of "order" its not a problem to place it visually within the timeline. In addition to regular timeline figures, I make copies of the books on our scanner and then print it out and paste it on the timeline so they know when it took place.

I think like others said, you need to let it work for you instead of you work for it. It's just guidelines. :)

Dare I ask for thoughts?

Is this your first year of SL? If so, I would suggest slightly more time. It took some getting used to for me. It did work for several years for us though, and the part 1 of American History was a favorite for my son.

The Story of the USA book - this has very little to do with the *teaching* of the history IMHO. We used it as part of his LA basically, a read the passage and answer questions based on what you read. He does standardized testing, so I saw it as test prep. It is an odd choice though for SL, which tends to be living books.

The hopping from book to book has its advantages honestly. I didn't like it at first, and hate it still in science, but as I read about it in Charlotte Mason philosophy especially, it does have some merits. In which books are you hopping a lot? Are you using the Landmark spine? There is no way obviously you can read that in one continuous thing, so it has to be broken, and then you have the historical fiction in chunks and a reader he is reading himself usually?

You can easily let him read more of his reader (my DS chugged those out in a day or two each time when it was scheduled for weeks). Same with the read-aloud if that is what you prefer, and then take a day separate for geography/mapping when your RA is done, add another RA or whatever. Chunking them in bigger chunks also helps when they are library, and I did that for the books we didn't own.

In Sonlight though, they really do use their spines the whole year. If you don't own those, you might look into getting them used if possible and take the pressure off yourself. If your library doesn't have the recommended RA, and you aren't using the IG anyway, why not just pick another one from the time period and go with it? ;)

The LA, that is another topic. We scrapped that, I have to admit. I actually found the redo a couple years ago worse than the original for my current 4th grader. Suddenly all the grammar was supposed to be picked up through osmosis of the reading apparently. That did not work with him, so we left the SL LA early on. It does work with some kids though.

As others mentioned, if it doesn't fit you, use the books you like and do that. If your DC and you like history at the core (i.e. the history being the focus of your curriculum), the 4-year cycle is probably a good fit for you, if not SL exactly.

Good Evening :)

We're using Sonlight for American History I and Reading. So far, I'm not loving it either. I really like all of the book selections, but I'm not overly impressed with the discussion questions, mapping and timelines. We're only in Week 4 so I'm hoping this will change. I feel like the questions just aren't clicking for us (it's hard to explain) and we do better discussing it on our own, which is fine, I just feel like I'm losing out on that value. Also, I feel lost with regards to the mapping and timelines. There seems to be a lack of direction/instruction to go along with the mapwork and timelines. I can figure it out on my own eventually, but it's taking time that I thought I'd save by purchasing the program. I also find map references that don't seem in line with the story. I don't know. Like I said, I'm hoping it will get better as we move further into it. I definitely don't feel like it's as pick up and go as Story of the World, which we use for World History, but I want to give it a little more time.

It sounds like Turthquest would be a perfect fit for you.

I have to agree with this comment that you might like TruthQuest. The list of books is amazingly thorough, and it's totally up to you which ones you do. The author lists some spine-type books, but we aren't using those b/c my ds is wiggly and dislikes that style. Instead, we're 2 1/2 months into American History (exploration to 1800) reading amazing historical fiction and other books that have my son riveted! He actually asks to have me read more--and history is the first thing he asks to do most days. He is soaking it up.

The list of TQ books is quite extensive and it's done by grade level, so you can pick harder ones to read aloud and/or easier ones to have your kiddo read alone.

Now TQ is pretty much the opposite of Sonlight b/c there's no IG at all. But if you join their Yahoo group (called something like Historyquesters), you can find files that others have created to help get you started re: which books to choose or how long to spend on the various periods/sections. And once you do a bit of planning up front, you are all set to just read through these wonderful books at the pace you set. You can spend a week on the Pilgrims or a month.

TQ covers American History in three years for the grade-school set. It also goes from Beginnings (ancient history) all the way through modern history and then goes over Am History again for the last three years of high school. So you've got loads of options and flexibility. Their Web site is quite helpful and the author posts almost daily on the Yahoo group.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

christina

For what it's worth, we tried the SL Condensed American History last year for ds 4th grade and we lasted about two weeks with it. I had such high hopes. I was looking for a very structured checklist program and we both rebelled. We switched to Veritas history and we love it, along with Saxon/Hake Grammar and IEW.

Hope you find peace with whatever you choose. The resale value of the SL IG's seems very high.

Remember to try Paperback Swap for the SL books if you stick with it.

I'm not sure what to do.:confused:

Someone asked if I have used SL before. Yes, I have. I disliked the IG then but it has since been revised. I still don't like it! I don't feel it is necessary to even use the discussion questions, so I am now using it as a timeline guide.

I feel I am in a tricky situation, as ds does like History and I do not want to kill that. I just don't want to get any further into it, or invest anymore $$ unless I am sure I will continue.

I appreciate all the replies. Thanks!

This is exactly why I changed from Sonlight to TOG. The Sonlight IG was useless to me whereas the TOG manual was invaluable. I did Core 3, 4 and 5 with Sonlight. Well, sort of... didn't use the IG as it was useless.

Good Evening :)

We're using Sonlight for American History I and Reading. So far, I'm not loving it either. I really like all of the book selections, but I'm not overly impressed with the discussion questions, mapping and timelines. We're only in Week 4 so I'm hoping this will change. I feel like the questions just aren't clicking for us (it's hard to explain) and we do better discussing it on our own, which is fine, I just feel like I'm losing out on that value. Also, I feel lost with regards to the mapping and timelines. There seems to be a lack of direction/instruction to go along with the mapwork and timelines. I can figure it out on my own eventually, but it's taking time that I thought I'd save by purchasing the program. I also find map references that don't seem in line with the story. I don't know. Like I said, I'm hoping it will get better as we move further into it. I definitely don't feel like it's as pick up and go as Story of the World, which we use for World History, but I want to give it a little more time.

Hello :)

This is exactly why I changed from Sonlight to TOG. The Sonlight IG was useless to me whereas the TOG manual was invaluable. I did Core 3, 4 and 5 with Sonlight. Well, sort of... didn't use the IG as it was useless.

Does TOG give an in-depth study of American History?

Thanks in advance :)

How is your library? Does it have a great selection of books for American History? If so, you could use the What your x grader needs to know books. They have SOcial Studies, WOrld History, Geography, and American History. Start with the first grsde books and see what you need to study, use it as a spine and get books to go with your study from the library. If would be free. Keep a notebooks with narration, book lists, drawings, mapping and whatever else you feel should go in it. This is what I am doing with my dd for American History (we are using SOTW for World History). It is easy to impliment and I can spend as much or as little on an event/person as I want.

Hello :)

Does TOG give an in-depth study of American History?

Thanks in advance :)

Yes. Now it does the world at the same time, however. That said, the emphasis on the grammar years is more on the American history. Last year my 10th grader had finished his 4th year of TOG. He did years 1 and 2 as dialectic and years 3 and 4 as rhetoric. I listed it as 19th Century World History and 20th Century World History on the transcript. However, I had him take the SAT 2 in American history. He scored a 730 out of 800!!! So I think he got his American History information!!! What I like about TOG is how you see things going on in the world at the same time as in the US. There were many, many times that I went, "Wow! I didn't realize that happened at the same time!!!" I knew about both events, but just didn't realize they were the same time period.

Chrisitne

Yes. Now it does the world at the same time, however. That said, the emphasis on the grammar years is more on the American history. Last year my 10th grader had finished his 4th year of TOG. He did years 1 and 2 as dialectic and years 3 and 4 as rhetoric. I listed it as 19th Century World History and 20th Century World History on the transcript. However, I had him take the SAT 2 in American history. He scored a 730 out of 800!!! So I think he got his American History information!!! What I like about TOG is how you see things going on in the world at the same time as in the US. There were many, many times that I went, "Wow! I didn't realize that happened at the same time!!!" I knew about both events, but just didn't realize they were the same time period.

Chrisitne

How is TOG different from Sonlight exactly? I didn't care for Sonlight so I had pretty much written off TOG.

Sonlight and TOG are very different.

1. Sonlight is laid out with daily plans.

2. TOG gives you what should be done for the week.

Plus TOG has history, history in depth, mapwork, timeline, projects, fine arts, philosophy/worldview or church history, government, etc. Too much to really do. It is a buffet. You must pick and choose what you are going to do. For the lower grammar, there are no questions as such just books and suggested activities. Since you are reading most of it with the children, you understand what they are learning. You can use books from the library instead of the books they recommend.

The best part of TOG is for dialectic and rhetoric levels. They have questions they answer as they read the books. Once again, they must schedule what they read when. Then you have a weekly discussion in literature and in history.

There is no comparison in the teacher's notes. I found Sonlight to be useless, but then again we didn't use the high school ones. They have pages from World Book to give you background and then they have a question and answer outline with answers to help you lead the discussion. They have a weekly map assignment to label things. I did buy the map aids supplement so I could just print the masters and the answer keys. To be honest, I never "graded" these and I heard there were little errors as in things left off that were in the assignment. I just checked that they did what they could and made an honest effort and then I had the key and we used it in our history discussion.

I loved TOG, but then I had to beef up Sonlight so much and look for movies, and more books and assignments. With TOG there was too much. I had to pick and choose. But what I also liked is the ability to jump between levels. For writing, I would let them pick from a topic given in level 8-12. Most of the time I chose 2 or 3 for them to choose from. Dialectic and rhetoric literature has worksheets and/or questions for discussion. There is a HUGE jump between the two levels. I did a mixture of rhetoric and dialectic one year to help the transition.

Christine

Here is a different idea in case you are interested. I read through a world history overview book for the first half-ish of the year. Once we get to Columbus, I switch to an American history overview book and read that for the second half of the year.

I pick various historical fiction and biographies which complement what we are currently reading in the overview book. These we read before bedtime.

I also do lapbooks once per quarter on a certain subject in history so that we can learn that subject in more depth. For example, we have ancient Egypt, ancient Greece, ancient Rome, Explorers, Jamestown, and Civil War lapbooks.

I also add in some memory and timeline work which takes about 5-10 minutes per day, and which the kids actually love doing. We are memorizing things like the 12 major U.S. wars, and parts of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution.

I love my history program. I know it is far different than what most people do on here, so it may not be what you are looking for. It is similar to Epi Kardia in case you are interested in looking at that. I love that we go through the big picture of history every year so that my kids will hopefully get good long-term retention of the material. It is also nice not to be jumping around in various books. Reading through a good overview book (such as CHOW) gives a nice anchor to the history studies.

Hope you find what you like!