Menu

If you have visited Italy with Middle School-Aged Children.........

We did Rome, FLorence, Pompeii. They LOVED every minute. So much history, art, life! Mix up the active and passive activities, arm everyone with cameras, eat gelato and Nutella, do trip journaling in the evenings. Fantastic age to be traveling.

I would plan AT LEAST seven days for Rome (including one day for Vatican, if you intend to see it - I absolutely recommend, regardless of your personal religious feelings, it is BEAUTIFUL). I do not know where to begin to suggest what to see, since Rome is such a fantastic, multi-layer city, but:

- Forum, Coloseeum & Pantheon: a MUST!!!

- catacombe (some say it is creepy, but I would not miss out on the opportunity)

- Trastevere at evening / night, for the atmosphere :D

- La Piazza di Spagna at evening / night, for the atmosphere :D

- San Giovanni in Laterano

- Santa Maria Maggiore + Piazza Esquilino

- Piazza Navona

- Fontana di Trevi

- Piazza Venezia + Altare della Patria, a MUST

- Villa Borghese + Palazzo Barberini, an absolute must, but you have to reserve tickets in advance for Galleria Borghese

This is the minimum I guess. :lol: Weekly metro tickets. If you use cabs, make sure they are registered and metered, though you can negotiate the price of course. Avoid high heels as you will be walking most of the time.

You can go to Naples as a two-day adventure from Rome, I recommend it because of Pompeii, it truly is a unique sight, absolutely gorgeous and an experience you cannot get anywhere else. Read Pliny in advance with kids for better effect. And Naples as a city is just... amazing, so beautiful.

For Venice you need a day or two, it would maybe be useful to do it first, and then go to Rome, then Florence, then Naples if you intend to include it (or at least so I would do).

I would plan AT LEAST seven days for Rome (including one day for Vatican, if you intend to see it - I absolutely recommend, regardless of your personal religious feelings, it is BEAUTIFUL). I do not know where to begin to suggest what to see, since Rome is such a fantastic, multi-layer city, but:

- Forum, Coloseeum & Pantheon: a MUST!!!

- catacombe (some say it is creepy, but I would not miss out on the opportunity)

- Trastevere at evening / night, for the atmosphere :D

- La Piazza di Spagna at evening / night, for the atmosphere :D

- San Giovanni in Laterano

- Santa Maria Maggiore + Piazza Esquilino

- Piazza Navona

- Fontana di Trevi

- Piazza Venezia + Altare della Patria, a MUST

- Villa Borghese + Palazzo Barberini, an absolute must, but you have to reserve tickets in advance for Galleria Borghese

This is the minimum I guess. :lol: Weekly metro tickets. If you use cabs, make sure they are registered and metered, though you can negotiate the price of course. Avoid high heels as you will be walking most of the time.

You can go to Naples as a two-day adventure from Rome, I recommend it because of Pompeii, it truly is a unique sight, absolutely gorgeous and an experience you cannot get anywhere else. Read Pliny in advance with kids for better effect. And Naples as a city is just... amazing, so beautiful.

For Venice you need a day or two, it would maybe be useful to do it first, and then go to Rome, then Florence, then Naples if you intend to include it (or at least so I would do).

Thank you so much -- unbelievably helpful. Yes, the Vatican is definitely on our list -- I am RC -- the kids will have made their First Holy Communion by the time we travel so it is definitely on our list. Thank you again -- I am printing out your answer so dh and I can go over it this evening. Ciao!

Probably not in your plans, but if you want something other than the big cities & famous tourist attractions, I'd highly suggest heading to the Dolomite Mountains in northern Italy. Great for skiing in winter months, gorgeous hiking in the summer months. (This area is approx. 4-6 hours driving time from either Venice or Milan.)

This provides some info on one of the mountain areas:

http://www.valgardena.it/en/

Edited by Stacia

First decisions--

How many days, how many cities, what method of in-country transportation? (I'd avoid the summer months-crowded and hot.)

If I had to take it down to 3 destinations I would choose Rome, Florence and Naples. All 3 easily connected by train.

If I added a fourth city it would be Ravenna.

As beautiful as Venice is...it is way overpriced. It might be my 5th city though.

My number one recommendation is to get a Rick Steves travel book. It might not be useful on the trip but it will help you plan how to get to every destination and how to book museum tickets in advance. Booking museum admission can be pricy but wait times in good weather in the off season can still be 3 or more hours.

Ostia is close to Rome and can be an excellent substitute for Pompeii if you don't make it to the south.

Be sure to visit lots of churches. They are full of beautiful art.

Think of Naples as larger area-

you have the Amalfi coast, Mt. Vesuvius, Pompeii, Herculaneum, more palaces, Solfatara, Paestum, and Caserta.

Then there is Ravenna--beautiful Byzantine and Roman mosaics pop up in the oddest places.

Most importantly---have a wonderful time.

First decisions--

How many days, how many cities, what method of in-country transportation? (I'd avoid the summer months-crowded and hot.)

If I had to take it down to 3 destinations I would choose Rome, Florence and Naples. All 3 easily connected by train.

If I added a fourth city it would be Ravenna.

As beautiful as Venice is...it is way overpriced. It might be my 5th city though.

My number one recommendation is to get a Rick Steves travel book. It might not be useful on the trip but it will help you plan how to get to every destination and how to book museum tickets in advance. Booking museum admission can be pricy but wait times in good weather in the off season can still be 3 or more hours.

Ostia is close to Rome and can be an excellent substitute for Pompeii if you don't make it to the south.

Be sure to visit lots of churches. They are full of beautiful art.

Think of Naples as larger area-

you have the Amalfi coast, Mt. Vesuvius, Pompeii, Herculaneum, more palaces, Solfatara, Paestum, and Caserta.

Then there is Ravenna--beautiful Byzantine and Roman mosaics pop up in the oddest places.

Most importantly---have a wonderful time.

Thank you so much -- Excellent information -- I think we will need to stay for a month -- :D --

I would try to get to see the scavi underneath St. Peter's if possible. Techincally kids have to be 16 but perhaps there is a way for them to see it. I would see Rome, Florence, and Venice with a day trip to Pompeii:D We did this. If you can stay at JK Place in Florence as well as the Hassler in Rome and Metropol in Venice. We went in August so it was not the height of the tourist season but it was very hot. I recommend carrying bottles of water with every person and refilling them at the numerous fountains. I also recommend bringing a soft, larger cooler to use for storing food. We brought food at local groceries such as meat, cheese, and bread to eat in the hotel often to save on eating out all of the time.

Probably not in your plans, but if you want something other than the big cities & famous tourist attractions, I'd highly suggest heading to the Dolomite Mountains in northern Italy. Great for skiing in winter months, gorgeous hiking in the summer months. (This area is approx. 4-6 hours driving time from either Venice or Milan.)

This provides some info on one of the mountain areas:

http://www.valgardena.it/en/

My maternal grandfather is from northern Italy - it is a desire of mine to visit there.:)

I would try to get to see the scavi underneath St. Peter's if possible. Techincally kids have to be 16 but perhaps there is a way for them to see it. I would see Rome, Florence, and Venice with a day trip to Pompeii:D We did this. If you can stay at JK Place in Florence as well as the Hassler in Rome and Metropol in Venice. We went in August so it was not the height of the tourist season but it was very hot. I recommend carrying bottles of water with every person and refilling them at the numerous fountains. I also recommend bringing a soft, larger cooler to use for storing food. We brought food at local groceries such as meat, cheese, and bread to eat in the hotel often to save on eating out all of the time.

Fabulous suggestions -- thank you so much.

Priscilla: I love the local groceries idea -- we do want to really get a feel for life there -- thanks.

I had a weird moment when I was possessed by a version of Gomez Addams..."Mariann! That's Italian!"

:smilielol5:ROFL! If I was pg, my water would definitely break I am laughing so hard. That GOMEZ ADDAMS thing is precisely what I was thinking of when I was reading Ester Maria's answer to dh. He got that Gomez Addams look in his eyes -- that's why I told Ester Maria that dh was drooling.

SO FUNNY!

DD12 came home from the hospital in an infant outfit that my mom brought back from Milan. We could buy lots of chi-chi baby clothes.:D

I WANT THAT SMILEY WITH THE ITALIAN FLAG!!!!! :drool5:

Where is it? I cannot find it here? How do I reproduce it? I want it!!!!

http://freesmileyface.net/get/flags/italian-flag-54.html

Sono stato in grado di copiare e incollare l'immagine. Non ho fatto a trattare con il codice html.

I was able to copy and paste the image without having to do anything with the html code.

Well, technically yes, but I am going to use it frequently, so I need some kind of shortcut. :tongue_smilie:

If you are going to put it in your signature, then use the link I sent you and that will take care of the signature.

You can also use the link, save it on your computer, and then you will have access to it fairly easily -- hope this helps. That will also make it easy to use in your signature.

Will you have a car? If so, and you are planning on going to Florence anyway, I highly recommend doing a little tour around Tuscany, in particular San Gimignano, Monteriggioni & Siena. We were there earlier this year and stayed for nearly a week in an "Agriturismo" farm and it was the highlight of our time in Italy. My DS12 cried when we left.

I have a love-hate relationship with Venice. I have been there twice and would still go back but it's becoming more & more touristy. Our kids loved it. If you want some novels to get you in the mood for Venice, read Donna Leon's detective Brunetti series :)

Will you have a car? If so, and you are planning on going to Florence anyway, I highly recommend doing a little tour around Tuscany, in particular San Gimignano, Monteriggioni & Siena. We were there earlier this year and stayed for nearly a week in an "Agriturismo" farm and it was the highlight of our time in Italy. My DS12 cried when we left.

I have a love-hate relationship with Venice. I have been there twice and would still go back but it's becoming more & more touristy. Our kids loved it. If you want some novels to get you in the mood for Venice, read Donna Leon's detective Brunetti series :)

Thank you -- dh and I cannot imagine going all that distance and not including Tuscany.

I am back to add a few songs for you while you plan the trip. I limited myself to several random non-opera music choices, with opera there are just way too many choices.

Tarantella del Gargano, in the description of the video you have the dialectal lyrics and the Italian translation. I like this interpretation.

Then there is Lu passariellu, also dialectal, with a more melancholic touch.

By the same artist, the interpretation of Monteverdi's

and much more depressing and dark Landi,
(in the description you have the translation too).

And one of the pop culture "mythical" ones (though there are way too many to choose), Battisti's

. And Venditti's
, which is about Rome, of course. Not to be confused with his other song about Rome, which is about a football team. :lol:

While we are speaking of Rome... I often find it amazing how prophetic Horace was when he wrote:

alme Sol, curru nitido diem qui

promis et celas aliusque et idem

nasceris, possis nihil urbe Roma

visere maius.

(from Carmen saecolare, bold emphasis mine).

In other words, he wished for Sun (...) not to be ever able to behold anything greater than Rome. And, in my opinion, that is exactly how it was, is, will be. I have studied a thing or two in my life, but I have never come across a phenomenon which would fascinate me more than the miracle of Rome, from 753 BCE to these days on a micro level, or the incredible genesis and development of that whole land from Roman times to today on the macro level. Amazing place. :)

italian-flag-54.gif

I am back to add a few songs for you while you plan the trip. I limited myself to several random non-opera music choices, with opera there are just way too many choices.

Tarantella del Gargano, in the description of the video you have the dialectal lyrics and the Italian translation. I like this interpretation.

Then there is Lu passariellu, also dialectal, with a more melancholic touch.

By the same artist, the interpretation of Monteverdi's

and much more depressing and dark Landi,
(in the description you have the translation too).

And one of the pop culture "mythical" ones (though there are way too many to choose), Battisti's

. And Venditti's
, which is about Rome, of course. Not to be confused with his other song about Rome, which is about a football team. :lol:

While we are speaking of Rome... I often find it amazing how prophetic Horace was when he wrote:

alme Sol, curru nitido diem qui

promis et celas aliusque et idem

nasceris, possis nihil urbe Roma

visere maius.

(from Carmen saecolare, bold emphasis mine).

In other words, he wished for Sun (...) not to be ever able to behold anything greater than Rome. And, in my opinion, that is exactly how it was, is, will be. I have studied a thing or two in my life, but I have never come across a phenomenon which would fascinate me more than the miracle of Rome, from 753 BCE to these days on a micro level, or the incredible genesis and development of that whole land from Roman times to today on the macro level. Amazing place. :)

italian-flag-54.gif

WOW! Grazie! Dh will be home tomorrow and he will just adore this.

BTW, AMO la tua bandiera azienda smiley.

We did Rome-Florence-Vinci-Pisa - Pompeii-Sorrento-Rome.

Everything was a big hit, so friendly to kids! I would recommend stopping in Vinci. It was a little off the beaten path but it was amazing seeing where Leonardo da Vinci grew up, might have lived, his father's castle, etc.

- C

we went last march, and took a tent. we stayed in a campground IN Florence, overlooking the old city. it was fabulous. we made a day trip to Pisa.

we had planned to stay in a campground in venice, but it snowed. a lot. so we retreated to a hotel.

then, we camped 200 metres from the entrance to pompeii.... it was truly magical. we are doing cambridge latin, about caecilius who lived in pompeii, so it was an amazing thing to walk the streets that he had walked, and to see his house.

we stayed an hour outside rome, but the same company has a campground closer in. it will use up as much time as you give it.... simply wonderful.

i will try to find the link to the campgrounds....

it will be glorious.

ann

We visited Rome, Pompeii, Pisa/Florence, and Venice in 2009. We loved Rome and Venice the most.

Are you interested in hiring a tour guide in Rome? We did this while in Rome, and it worths every penny. Our guide knows Rome like the back of his hand and saved us a lot of time by avoiding the crowd. He also took us to the cleanest restrooms in Rome which is very important to me. Please PM me if you want our guide's information. I can't recommend him enough.