Menu

Best for Algebra REVIEW?

How old?

Dd did Algebra 2 last year, did well, but I am using Lial's Intermediate Algebra this year to reinforce algebra skills. I love how it is set up. First, each lesson has great explanations, then problems. Then next lesson. There is a chapter review that you can do either in addition to the lessons, or instead of lessons. And the chapter reviews are marked by lesson. So you could read the lesson, then move to that part of the chapter review (and skip the lesson problems). There are also tests in the book, so if there is a section that is well remembered, then you can use those to test out of some chapters.

I don't know if Lial's Introductory Algebra is set up the same way, but if it is, then I think it could be a good option.

I would look at getting Kinetic Books Algebra I and just doing the immediate feedback problems. Yes, it is a complete program and would certainly take longer than just 3 months to work through if he were doing it for the first time, but since he should be able to skip a lot of the instruction, he can work through it a lot quicker.

In fact, what I'd have him do is work through the summary and practice chapter test for each chapter and not mess with any of the work actually inside the chapter unless he makes less than 90% on the practice chapter test. Any chapter test he makes less than 90% on, he would have to work through all the immediate feedback problems (not the end-of-unit problems).