Menu

I'm pretty sure I have impetigo. And the dr's office is closed.

I've had a rash on my chin for about a week. I put moisturizer on it because I thought it was just a dry patch.

I was wrong.

Now it has those honey-colored crusty spots. I picked up some triple-antibiotic cream but it's not getting better. You should have seen how awful it looked when I tried to cover it with makeup to go out today! :glare:

Do you think those walk-in medical clinics would treat this?

It's itchy and really uncomfortable. And so ugly. :(

I've had a rash on my chin for about a week. I put moisturizer on it because I thought it was just a dry patch.

I was wrong.

Now it has those honey-colored crusty spots. I picked up some triple-antibiotic cream but it's not getting better. You should have seen how awful it looked when I tried to cover it with makeup to go out today! :glare:

Grapefruit Seed Extract is suppose to help. This is not an overnight solution (or, for you, maybe it will be), but something that should stop the impetigo at its root. I think you'd see a difference within a week or better after taking it. It comes in liquid form, but I'm not sure how to take that with impetigo.

ETA: Maybe you can add the liquid to a lotion (aloe) or sparingly straight on the infected area. Google it and check if you have a health food market around.

Edited by ChrisB

TEA TREE OIL!!! I did Melaleuca for years, and one thing I know is that tea tree oil has been shown to even kill MRSA. We use it for everything under the sun and it really, really works. You should be able to get it at a good drugstore ;)

...or Oil of Oregano mixed with coconut oil.

As a child, I remember Phisoderm liquid soap being part of the treatment. I looked it up online and found this information at http://www.mansfieldisd.org/departments/health/immun_docs/Impetigo.htm:

HOW TO TREAT

Early or mild impetigo (just a few sores) will usually clear with vigorous "local" treatment. This means scrubbing the sores 2-3 times a day with a strong soap (Phisoderm, Dial, etc.) and a soft brush or rough wash cloth. You must scrub hard enough to eventually remove the crusts. Be sure no one else uses the child's wash cloth or towel.

After scrubbing, pat dry and apply an antibacterial ointment such as Neosporin, Bacitracin, or Triple B.

Call your doctor if the impetigo infection is widespread or if the local treatment does not work within a few days. Oral antibiotics may be necessary.

Erica in OR

Guest jeffandjill

I was wrong.

We have used Manuka Honey directly on the sores & cover with a sterile gauze or bandage. Change every 24 hours. The honey has antibacterial/antiviral properties and will kill the infection and heal the skin. Alternatively, you could use raw, unpasturized honey with good results. Hope this helps.