Menu

Ds got his glasses in today

and they are driving him nuts. Having them on his ears and nose constantly is not good. He has sensory processing disorder and sensory integration dysfunction and this is like rubbing sandpaper on him. We have been giving him small breaks but he has to get used to them. Any tips on how to do this?

BTW: He looks so handsome in his glasses!! :001_wub:

Hang in there, mama. :grouphug:

It took a few weeks for our son to get used to his glasses and he REALLY needed the prescription. Seeing better was not enough to balance the irritation of wearing the frames. He broke 6 pair his first year (not out of malice). We're only on our 2nd pair this year. I highly recommend zenni optical.

Hang in there, mama. :grouphug:

It took a few weeks for our son to get used to his glasses and he REALLY needed the prescription. Seeing better was not enough to balance the irritation of wearing the frames. He broke 6 pair his first year (not out of malice). We're only on our 2nd pair this year. I highly recommend zenni optical.

6 pair in 1 year times the $217 + $45 for scratch proof lenses = :blink: :svengo:

What is Zenni Optical? He has a very funky prescription with Prism lenses.

We buy the kids pack with the warranty so that if they break, we get free ones for a year. Saves lots of money. Now we don't have that trouble as much.

I don't think we did that but I REALLY wish we did. Yesterday (day number 2) he stepped on them which bent them and popped a lens :glare: I really hope there is some warranty with them. I know I bought the scratch resistant lenses but I guess I didn't think about him stepping on them :confused:

Been there, done that with the glasses. DS15 was nearly blind when little and absolutely HAD to wear them to keep from walking into walls and such. But he is an aspie and the feel of the glasses was miserable for him.

We bought them at Lenscrafters because they had a replacement program at the time that repaired/replaced kids glasses for whatever reason the first year - no questions asked. We went thru lots of glasses (more than 10 pairs!) that year.

Also, take him in to have them adjusted again after a few days. Having them slightly out of balance put pressure on the ear/nose - even a little bit drove DS crazy.

My son has bifocals to help correct esotropia--on eye always wanders in when his glasses are off.

It was a battle to get him to wear glasses when little---but we got there. It was a battle to keep little brother's and (now sister's) hands off---but we're getting there. Had to take numerous frames in for repairs. sigh.

My son has some sensory issues--but his lenses darken outside and he hates sunlight more than anything so he learned to love them real fast!! :001_smile:

There are two kinds of glasses: The wire kind with the nose pads and the kind that are just plastic. The wire kind with the nose pads drive my kid nuts. If that's the case with your kid, try the plastic kind. It limits your choices, but it might make the difference.

About Lenscrafters, while they have a 90 day unconditional guarantee, read the 1 year guarantee plan carefully. There are a lot of "in our discretions" in there... http://www.lenscrafters.com/eyeglasses/6/1-year-eyewear-protection-plan/ Back when the replacement plan was free, we were told that we would have to pay 1/2 price to get them replaced after the third time we were there. You never know when a manager will use their discretion.

I'm sorry they were broken already. Zenni does not do prisms. :(

I'm not sure if they make these for kids or how well they would hold up, but I just got a pair of ultra-lights that have no framing around the lenses. They are so light that I thought at first I'd break them from constant handling as I always fiddle with my glasses. They seem - delicate. However, they are so light and stay in place so well that I really hardly ever touch them during the day. I really don't feel them at all! And I think they must be more sturdy than I first imagined. I don't feel them on my nose or on my ears....

The breaks you're giving him sound like a good way to help him get accustomed to them. If that just doesn't work, however, and you have to try another pair at some point, then I'd ask about the lightest thing they have available....

I'm not sure if they make these for kids or how well they would hold up, but I just got a pair of ultra-lights that have no framing around the lenses. They are so light that I thought at first I'd break them from constant handling as I always fiddle with my glasses. They seem - delicate. However, they are so light and stay in place so well that I really hardly ever touch them during the day. I really don't feel them at all! And I think they must be more sturdy than I first imagined. I don't feel them on my nose or on my ears....

The breaks you're giving him sound like a good way to help him get accustomed to them. If that just doesn't work, however, and you have to try another pair at some point, then I'd ask about the lightest thing they have available....

I will look for those! Thank you. He is starting to... kinda... get used to them. I still find him without them because he has taken them off and set them somewhere (where he thought he would get away with it ;)) and forgot to put them back on, but that is happening less and less. I told him if he needs a break occasionally that's fine but bring them to me so they do not get lost or broken.