Menu

Reading Pollyanna

We're reading Pollyanna right now, and while we're all enjoying it, I REALLY wish the author had kept a thesaurus handy. I'm having a hard time keeping a straight face and reading "ejacul*ted" 2 or 3 times a chapter! :svengo:

It seems to have been her favorite word for a forceful exclamation--clearly it didn't have the connotation then that it does now! And my kids are the type to pick up vocabulary from books, especially words they hear a lot. Guess we might need to have a conversation about that . . . :eek:

Do your dc read along? I have a tendency to "substitute" words.... my dc are little, so we can have a chat later what "queer" meant then verse now, for now I substitute weird or strange and they are none the wiser... Yes, yes, I know, heresy to maim classic literature... :tongue_smilie:

We're reading Pollyanna right now, and while we're all enjoying it, I REALLY wish the author had kept a thesaurus handy. I'm having a hard time keeping a straight face and reading "ejacul*ted" 2 or 3 times a chapter! :svengo:

It seems to have been her favorite word for a forceful exclamation--clearly it didn't have the connotation then that it does now! And my kids are the type to pick up vocabulary from books, especially words they hear a lot. Guess we might need to have a conversation about that . . . :eek:

LOL I remember reading that to my daughter when she was 7. I had to have a dictionary on hand for some of the words. I loved that book though, and it still brings back wonderful memories to my daughter as well!

I explained to my kids last night why I tried to change the name of one of the main characters in Swallows and Amazons from Titty to Kitty as I read it. I didn't get away with it because I'd said Titty a couple of times -- they were on to me. :lol:

Once my youngest was happily yelling for joy when standing on the stairs. His elder brother explained to me, "youngest is so gay he is ejaculating all over the stairs."

Yup, to much old literature.

My 6th grade spelling teacher had us pick our own spelling/vocab words from our silent reading books. We had to look them up in the dictionary and write out the definitions. Thanks to Anne of Green Gables I learned more than one definition of that word!:001_huh: Fortunately I knew which definition the author intended!

Pick a word that can be easily substituted and use it while you read the story or are they reading it themselves? :lol:

Once my youngest was happily yelling for joy when standing on the stairs. His elder brother explained to me, "youngest is so gay he is ejaculating all over the stairs."

Yup, to much old literature.

Oh, my!!! That's one to save up and share with future girlfriends! ;)