Menu

when the "baby" grows up

Oh my. I've heard about it for years, but I've finally reached that point where I have to acknowledge it out loud. My 'baby' is growing up.

Dd13 is my youngest child. My baby. She was "mommy's girl" during the first couple of years of her life, and then she became Miss Independent. She has never wavered from that personality style. However, we have always been really close. We have so many in jokes that we can say a word and just start laughing. It's been fantabulous. But now, she is a teenager and doing the stereotypical teenage 'pulling away from the parents' kind of thing. Oh, she is super polite and still helpful. We can still enjoy time together. I'm just not the most important person in her life anymore. She's been that way for months now, but I'm only just now coming to terms with it. I have to accept it for what it is. I am so sad inside.

I am sure we'll always be close, but I am taking the 'back burner' place in her life now. She is in such a hurry to grow up. She was in a hormonal state last night (pms) and was in tears saying she just wanted to be older. She wants to be driving so she can leave the house and do things on her own. (She wanted to shop at Walmart, but I was too tired to go out.) She wants to be in college, living away from home. She wants to hurry and graduate college so she can pursue a career. She wants to move to England. She feels traveling in her bones and hates that we are stagnant in our home and lifestyle.

It doesn't really matter whether she moves far away or not. We all know that teenage thoughts/dreams can change as the child gets older. What is hurting me is watching her walk to the edge of the nest and desperately wanting to spread her wings and jump off. On her plan, she will graduate high school when she is 17 (spring time) and be in college that next August. She is self-motivated, independent, and determined. I'm very proud of her. But she isn't my 'baby' anymore. Where did the years go?