Menu

I stand corrected: iPad > Wii for hsing

We got a Wii last year and up until now I've said it was the most awesome thing for homeschooling -- kids begging to do math at 7am so they can get on the Wii sooner, and that to play games like "Blue World" where dd learned to identify over 100 fish on sight, navigate by compass, world geography, and planning (how to get the most missions in X days of game time). :lol:

But now I've found something even better -- the iPad. AMAZING how much more fun math is when they can mark up a PDF on the screen rather than a boring old pencil and paper! The first day we got it, dd6 spent TWO hours doing her MM worksheets! An actual argument yesterday went like this, "Mom! Is it my turn to do my learning? She already did hers and it's MY turn!" And so far I've only spent $3 on apps.

And Pocket Frogs on our iPod touch got 3yo thru his well-check at the Drs office (his mood was dicey when we first walked into the office, but then I remembered I had the iPod in my pocket). BTW, cool that iphone/ipodTouch apps run on the iPad as well.

Anyway, I'm just chagrinned that these little electronic devices actually make my life easier, even when *I *don't use them. :D Still think they are totally unnecessary...but...nice to have. :p

I'm just sharing this since you nice iPad-owning folks helped convince me to let dh have his iPad and not wait for the 3 (and go for the 32GB, with I think will be just right for us). NOT that dh has gotten to use it much yet. hahaha

Edited by ChandlerMom

How do they write on your screen? Dry erase???

Tell me!

Faithe

I got the free app neu.Annotation PDF. From the iTunes app screen, below the list of apps there is a File Sharing box and when I click on neu.Annotation and the "add" button, I can navigate to any PDF files and then they will get loaded into the iPad. Then when I open the app on the iPad, I see the first page of each PDF, open, and there are all sorts of pens/stamps/shapes to use, I zoom in to the point it's easy for the kids to write (with their finger). They can change colors, erase, etc. And I like that the right-hand bar (you use to move thru the pages of a PDF) the page numbers are RED if the page has been annotated, so I can see right away which pages were done. Then you can e-mail the document or page back to yourself if you want. So far I just look thru them on the iPad.

The one app I bought so far is Easy Writer which has full-screen letters and numbers to trace (both printing and cursive). They have the uppercase version for free. It saves me paper and I noticed when my 6yo goes thru her numbers and letters on it before her other learning she doesn't reverse any.

Anyone have suggestions on how to spend my $85 credit at the App store? [i also bought another season of Go Diego Go for my toddler to watch while I'm working with his sisters.] :D

Spend it on a stand and keyboard for desktop setup and a stylus. :)

Can't use it for hardware. I am still waiting for my smart cover (RED) which should act as a stand (apparently sent on an even SLOWER boat form China). I already have 2 wireless Apple keyboards, so was already planning on stealing the one from the kids computer for the iPad. :lol: I will probably end up getting a 3rd, if we use it a lot. It's just sooo nice to be able to put the keyboard up on the shelf when the 3yo is trying to start up *another* episode of Diego. :D

I keep thinking there's a reason Apple doesn't make a stylus, but not sure what it is :confused: (aside from the fact they know users like me would just lose it -- haven't lost my finger...yet :tongue_smilie: ). I think I'd lose my mind if it wasn't attached. :D

But good ideas! I'm amazed how much the tracing helps my kids though (the older with cursive, the younger with printing). Is there anything for cursive words (instead of letters)? Only things I don't like about Easy Writer is it's only letters and the cursive b looks like a cursive "le". :confused:

We got a Wii last year and up until now I've said it was the most awesome thing for homeschooling -- kids begging to do math at 7am so they can get on the Wii sooner, and that to play games like "Blue World" where dd learned to identify over 100 fish on sight, navigate by compass, world geography, and planning (how to get the most missions in X days of game time). :lol:

But now I've found something even better -- the iPad. AMAZING how much more fun math is when they can mark up a PDF on the screen rather than a boring old pencil and paper! The first day we got it, dd6 spent TWO hours doing her MM worksheets! An actual argument yesterday went like this, "Mom! Is it my turn to do my learning? She already did hers and it's MY turn!" And so far I've only spent $3 on apps.

Would LOVE to hear more about the iPad apps you are using and the Wii games. We have both, but not using much for ed right now and would appreciate the info!!!

TIA!

Can't use it for hardware. I am still waiting for my smart cover (RED) which should act as a stand (apparently sent on an even SLOWER boat form China). I already have 2 wireless Apple keyboards, so was already planning on stealing the one from the kids computer for the iPad. :lol: I will probably end up getting a 3rd, if we use it a lot. It's just sooo nice to be able to put the keyboard up on the shelf when the 3yo is trying to start up *another* episode of Diego. :D

I keep thinking there's a reason Apple doesn't make a stylus, but not sure what it is :confused: (aside from the fact they know users like me would just lose it -- haven't lost my finger...yet :tongue_smilie: ). I think I'd lose my mind if it wasn't attached. :D

But good ideas! I'm amazed how much the tracing helps my kids though (the older with cursive, the younger with printing). Is there anything for cursive words (instead of letters)? Only things I don't like about Easy Writer is it's only letters and the cursive b looks like a cursive "le". :confused:

Apple doesn't have a stylus? Well, in the event that you choose a full coverage case or screen protectors, you can use any stylus. :lol:

I just looked through the Apple Store, and I think that you may be right (or they have cleverly hidden this tool).

You can get any of a number of different ones on Amazon, which will improve handwriting and allow for easier completion of worksheets. LOL

Edit: Speaking of writing ... I use Startwrite as you all know. Well, I created my copywork in the software, printed to PDF, and loaded to the tablet for a friend. Using the PDF apps, copywork is a breeze. I thought that I should toss this in to mix when considering software, apps, and general interoperability.

Edited by ChrissySC

:

We bought the first stylus for our iPad at best buy for $20 and lost it in 2 days :001_huh: then I wisely ordered these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HO86P6/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details

They have a cord to plug in to headphone jack to attach stylus to iPad. So far we haven't lost this one but I ordered 2 just in case.

I love my iPad so much more than I thought I would. I can't wait to get dd and dh their own!

I use noterize to write on pdf's and dd loves doing her math on the iPad. Sometimes we do it on pdf's and other times we just use th doodle app...ifnindon't feel like I need to keep the worksheet.

I could definately spend $85 on apps, books and/or renting movies. Search previous threads because there have been several good lists recently of apps to buy.