Menu

Anyone else seeing the Northern Lights tonight?

We can't see them anymore either! They were crazy. I had never seen red lights before. According to the local news station's meteorologist:

"A rare compression of the Earths magnetic field is letting the Northern US see an Aurora (Northern Lights) at this hour. A CME hit the Earths atmosphere at 2PM. With the compaction of the magnetic field it is allowing the display to be seen far south. Earth orbiting spacecraft could have been directly exposed to solar wind plasma between 2:06PM and 2:11PM."

And again from the meteorologist:

"This is not like a normal northern lights that will last for hours. It is more likely to pulse strong and then fade. Goddard Space center recommends checking periodically if they faded in your area."

Ahhhh. It's a childhood dream of mine. Enjoy, you guys :)

Rosie

Aww, Rosie. I wish we could send some down to you...or you could just come visit!

We are in Knoxville, TN. So close, yet so far away :glare:. Our meteorologist says the southern boundary for viewing is basically the northern TN border. Just missed it! My boys JUST asked me this weekend to take them to Alaska so they could see the northern lights! Like that's an easy order! :D Wish we could've seen them tonight!