Menu

Has anyone ever made a Roman centurion costume?

This is what my 7yo suddenly wants to be for Halloween! Yikes! :D

And since big sis wants to be one, my 3yo desperately wants to be one too.

I'm thinking I should throw a breastplate on the baby too and take my own mini-legion trick-or-treating this year. :lol:

The trouble is I don't really know how to go about this. I'm more-or-less DIY-competent (I can sew and make things, etc), but I'm not the most creative person on the planet. I need instructions and ideas to work from or I mostly just make a mess. ;) And it's much too last minute for me to be making messes and figuring it all out the hard way!

Has anybody ever made a Roman centurion costume or have any brilliantly creative ideas I can use as a jumping-off point? If your best idea is "convince her she really wants to be something simple that you can buy at the store", tell me the truth. I can take it. ;)

:bigear:

ETA: It's COLD here on Halloween (last year it snowed), so I have to be able to adapt a costume to go over sweaters and/or coats, if that makes a difference!

Edited by WarriorMama
the weather is against me

LOL. No advice on the costume, but my 6yo wants to be a Greek hoplite, and just as in your household, the 3yo of course wants to be the same thing, too (which is making the 6yo rather upset, but that's another story). DH is going to be Sisyphus and baby will be the rock.

I bought some inexpensive white fabric to make chitons and a sort of rope trim for belts. DS6 is adamant that his knight's helmet is All Wrong for a Greek hoplite, but I think I've managed to convince him to cover it with tinfoil and attach some kind of cardboard face thingie. He has already made the shield and sword himself out of old amazon.com boxes. The 3yo is fortunately rather less of a stickler for authenticity, so I think I can get away with just covering his construction worker's helmet with tinfoil and calling it good.

Gotta love those ancients!

As crazy as this may sound, I'm pretty sure I saw Roman Centurion costumes at Party City. I'm almost positive they had the breastplates and helmets that you could buy separately, too. I didn't notice the prices, though.

I've seen centurion costumes for adults EVERY year, but not anything I could get away with for my little guys...way too big. I haven't scoured yet this year though, so maybe we'll take a field trip to the party store tomorrow and keep our fingers crossed!

LOL. No advice on the costume, but my 6yo wants to be a Greek hoplite, and just as in your household, the 3yo of course wants to be the same thing, too (which is making the 6yo rather upset, but that's another story). DH is going to be Sisyphus and baby will be the rock.

I bought some inexpensive white fabric to make chitons and a sort of rope trim for belts. DS6 is adamant that his knight's helmet is All Wrong for a Greek hoplite, but I think I've managed to convince him to cover it with tinfoil and attach some kind of cardboard face thingie. He has already made the shield and sword himself out of old amazon.com boxes. The 3yo is fortunately rather less of a stickler for authenticity, so I think I can get away with just covering his construction worker's helmet with tinfoil and calling it good.

Gotta love those ancients!

:lol:

That's awesome!

I haven't, but my son, when he was 5, made a centurion hat by taping my hairbrush bristle side up to the back of a plastic fireman hat he had. :D

:D

I love history-loving kiddos! Awesome!

That's exactly the level of crafting/construction I actually have time for, too. Think I could convince my 7yo that's all we really need? :lol: