Menu

religion angst..

And it really is just angst, or a bit of sorrow. My best friend in the whole world is being married in a bit over a week. She is R.Catholic, and there will be a wedding mass. I went through RCIA years ago, and became CAtholic. But when I was divorced I ended up back at the Episcopal church I grew up in. I petitioned for and recieved permission from the appropirate Episcopalian Bishop to be remarried in that faith, but never had the first marriage annulled in the Catholic Church. The money always seemed like an obstacle, and I never followed through, despite being told by two priests that I would almost certainly qualify, I was in fact a poster case for why they have annulments. Anyway, although I'm very happy in the Episcopal Church, I am sure I will be a bit meloncholy when I can't recieve communion at her wedding mass. :001_unsure:

I can't talk about it with her, as I don't want to bum her out. It isn't her fault I left the church, obviously. And dh doesn't get it. But it makes me sad that she comes to my religious events and can participate, but I can't in hers. She is my daughter's godmother, but I couldn't be her daughter's godmother. Stuff like that.

Oh well. I need to remind myself of the things I like about the Episcopal church, like paedocommunion. I love that my toddler will grow up always having had communion. And I know my husband and son will never convert to R.C. We are where we need to be. But I will still be a bit sad.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. I need to move on, as it is her day, and not about me in the least.

Wow, thanks! Having people offer sympathy actually made me tear up. I'm sniffling at the computer. No one in my actual life would understand this, other than my best friend, whom I obviously am not going to bother with this. I really appreciate the support.

:grouphug:

It probably won't help now, but you *could* be godmother to her kids as long as the other godparent chosen is a Catholic in good standing.

Attending religious events and not receiving communion is hard, but you can pray and do a spiritual act of communion instead.

:grouphug: again.

:grouphug:

It probably won't help now, but you *could* be godmother to her kids as long as the other godparent chosen is a Catholic in good standing.

Attending religious events and not receiving communion is hard, but you can pray and do a spiritual act of communion instead.

:grouphug: again.

Oh, you are right! I'd forgotten that only one had to be a Catholic in good standing! I don't know that that will ever be an issue, as she has a large italian family that will want to all be god parents, but good to know!!!

And thank you. I believe I may go up for a blessing at least.

Wow, thanks! Having people offer sympathy actually made me tear up. I'm sniffling at the computer. No one in my actual life would understand this, other than my best friend, whom I obviously am not going to bother with this. I really appreciate the support.

I get it. My BFF has been to my baptist church many times and we have taken communion together but when I go to her Lutheran church I am not allowed. It shouldn't be a big deal to me but it still hurts.

The more I think about it, the more I think I was upset about the Godparent thing, more than just not being able to have communion. Which is silly, as she isn't even married yet, let alone having a baby. She may never want me as God mother. But it helps to know I could be, and that we can attend services together as we wish, even if I can't fully participate. Maybe someday that will change, or my family will change, but for now, that will have to be enough. I'll focus on what i love about my church now, instead. Like baptisms that are at regular services, rather than private, so the whole congregation can enjoy them. Small parishes. The lovely prayers in the prayer book, etc.

Thanks everyone.