Menu

Pro-Life Resources???

IF YOU ARE NOT PRO-LIFE THEN THIS THREAD PROBABLY WON'T INTEREST YOU

I am not posting to discuss or argue. I am JUST looking for resources.

I am teaching a high school class right now at my school called "Values and Decision-Making" and the next chapter is on the abortion issue and defending pro-life (this is a christian school that is very strong in their pro-life stance).

So I am looking for the best resources I can find on the pro-life argument... Video clips, websites, articles, talking points... Whatever. I have some I have collected but I am looking for some really great ones I don't have that really pack a punch.

This school does NOT teach that abortion is an equally valid choice as carrying the baby to term so please do not argue that we should be. It is not going to happen.

But if you have a good pro-life resource I would really appreciate it. :D

Unplanned: The Dramatic True Story of a Former Planned Parenthood Leader's Eye-Opening Journey across the Life Line by Abby Johnson

She was the director of an abortion clinic in Bryan/College Station and talks here about how she got involved, etc. And what changed her mind.

Karen Kingsbury has a couple of books that address the issue grippingly too (but are fiction):

-Summer-

book3 of the Above the Line series -Take Three- I think -- and there is a lot more in the entire series about decision making, good and bad, as well

Also, Silent Scream

from the home page:

WARNING: THIS WEBSITE GRAPHICALLY SHOWS AN ABORTION 11 WEEKS AFTER CONCEPTION AND THEREFORE SHOULD NOT BE VIEWED BY CHILDREN.

IF YOU ARE A YOUNG PERSON AND HAVE ANY DOUBTS ON WHETHER YOU SHOULD VIEW THIS SITE OR NOT, PLEASE CHECK WITH YOUR PARENTS BEFORE PROCEEDING ANY FURTHER.

IF YOU ARE RESEARCHING THE TOPIC OF ABORTION OR POSSIBLY CONTEMPLATING AN ABORTION WE URGE YOU TO VIEW THE SITE SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY BEFORE PROCEEDING.

WE BELIEVE THAT ABORTION IS THE TAKING OF AN INNOCENT LIFE AND VIOLATES GOD'S COMMANDMENT "THOU SHALT NOT KILL" . SO PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO STUDY, THINK ABOUT, AND PRAY ABOUT ABORTION AND ITS EFFECT ON THE BABY SLEEPING IN IT'S MOTHER'S WOMB.

PLEASE, IF YOU THINK YOU ARE PREGNANT OR KNOW SOMEONE WHO MIGHT BE PREGNANT. CONTACT WWW.LIFECALL.ORG FOR ASSISTANCE. THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION IN THIS MATTER.

If you are looking for real life stories I'm glad to share mine. I have a couple of page detailed testimony about how God supernaturally intervened in my second child's delivery.

Summary:

At 14 weeks we were told if the complication they anticipated might happen did happen, there would be a 99% chance of her dying in utero and a 1% chance of her being born in a complete vegitative state. There was a 50% chance of me not surviving that complication. I had it and an additional potentially fatal complication with a 50% maternal death rate. It was complicated, crash c-section but she was born perfectly normal.

We don't believe in abortion under any circumstances. We believe it's better to die trying to keep a child alive than killing a child to save your own neck because we don't see a difference between a child in the womb and a child out of the womb.

Also, Silent Scream

from the home page:

WARNING: THIS WEBSITE GRAPHICALLY SHOWS AN ABORTION 11 WEEKS AFTER CONCEPTION AND THEREFORE SHOULD NOT BE VIEWED BY CHILDREN.

IF YOU ARE A YOUNG PERSON AND HAVE ANY DOUBTS ON WHETHER YOU SHOULD VIEW THIS SITE OR NOT, PLEASE CHECK WITH YOUR PARENTS BEFORE PROCEEDING ANY FURTHER.

IF YOU ARE RESEARCHING THE TOPIC OF ABORTION OR POSSIBLY CONTEMPLATING AN ABORTION WE URGE YOU TO VIEW THE SITE SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY BEFORE PROCEEDING.

WE BELIEVE THAT ABORTION IS THE TAKING OF AN INNOCENT LIFE AND VIOLATES GOD'S COMMANDMENT "THOU SHALT NOT KILL" . SO PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO STUDY, THINK ABOUT, AND PRAY ABOUT ABORTION AND ITS EFFECT ON THE BABY SLEEPING IN IT'S MOTHER'S WOMB.

PLEASE, IF YOU THINK YOU ARE PREGNANT OR KNOW SOMEONE WHO MIGHT BE PREGNANT. CONTACT WWW.LIFECALL.ORG FOR ASSISTANCE. THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION IN THIS MATTER.

If someone showed that kind of… stuff… to my children, I'd be seriously ticked and they'd be answering for it.

There are resources - supportive, kind, educational resources.

Then there are … things… that require those sorts of CAPSGONEWILD warnings.

If someone showed that kind of… stuff… to my children, I'd be seriously ticked and they'd be answering for it.

There are resources - supportive, kind, educational resources.

Then there are … things… that require those sorts of CAPSGONEWILD warnings.

This. I'd say that about both Silent Scream and 180. I do NOT think those are appropriate for minors. There is no way, if people didn't agree with the political point, that they'd want their children watching something with similar content.

I'm not politically "pro-life," but I am morally opposed to abortion. I've found the work of Fredericka Mathewes-Green (some of her essays on the topic here, here, and here) very accessible and persuasive. If the idea is to defend pro-life ideas in a way that will actually resonate with people who are pro-choice, I would highly recommend looking at Mathewes-Green, who seems to understand more than any pro-life author I've encountered that people who are pro-choice are not evil monsters who just love the idea of killing babies but people who genuinely believe that their position is the better for women and children, and so knows how to discuss the issue in ways that are civil and rational.

I very slowly came to the position that abortion is morally wrong, and Mathewes-Green's writings were a part of getting me there. I can say with certainty that something like the Silent Scream would not have persuaded me of anything except that the pro-life movement was just as bad as I'd thought.

Rachel McNair is a pro-life Quaker who also has some good writing on the subject. She also comes from a position where she understands and doesn't demonize those she disagrees with.

If you really want to challenge them, I'd consider Ron Sider's Completely Pro-Life.

Edited by twoforjoy

I would love to have your story!

If you are looking for real life stories I'm glad to share mine. I have a couple of page detailed testimony about how God supernaturally intervened in my second child's delivery.

Summary:

At 14 weeks we were told if the complication they anticipated might happen did happen, there would be a 99% chance of her dying in utero and a 1% chance of her being born in a complete vegitative state. There was a 50% chance of me not surviving that complication. I had it and an additional potentially fatal complication with a 50% maternal death rate. It was complicated, crash c-section but she was born perfectly normal.

We don't believe in abortion under any circumstances. We believe it's better to die trying to keep a child alive than killing a child to save your own neck because we don't see a difference between a child in the womb and a child out of the womb.

Have you seen "180"? It's about 1/2 hour long and quite unique in its approach. It's also highly controversial :)

http://180movie.com/

That was going to be my suggestion too. It is very convicting. It encouraged me to do more to help to vote in pro-life leaders, when they are available!!

The only issue is that there are scenes of concentration camps that are pretty bad and one picture of a baby that is upsetting. I didn't let my teens watch it but told them the arguments it made, though I've already discussed abortion as the current holocaust with them, so they knew that viewpoint.

There is also the lady Abby (I can't remember her last name) from Texas who switched to the pro-life side after being director of PP and seeing an abortion for the first time...the fact of her "waking up" to the reality of abortion is very compelling.