Menu

would it be weird to have the sink off center in the kitchen?

We had a flood, and need to redo the whole kitchen:svengo:

We have a smallish kitchen, and the kitchen sink is on the half wall that divides the kitchen from the family room. The sink is in the middle, as is normal, with the dishwasher to one side. The problems with this are that you can't put things into the bottom cabinet on the right wall if the dishwasher is open, which is a bit annoying when putting away the dishes. You can't open the drawer with the spatulas and such when the top rack of the dishwasher is pulled out. And more importantly, I have a small amount of counter top on either side of the sink. If I switched the sink and the dishwasher around, the sink would be off center, but I'd have a lot of counterspace on the left side, nearer to the wall with the stove.

However, I'm pretty sure it would look too weird.

The left wall, with the stove area, is 6'9" from the pantry to the half wall. If we replace the pantry with something different I guess that gives us a bit more room there. The side with the sink is 11' 11" from wall to wall. The remaining side is 5'2" from the half wall to the refrigerator.

Anyone seen a kitchen where the sink isn't centered on the wall? I'll try to upload a picture or a link to a picture to show you the kitchen as it is now.

post-17065-13535085616_thumb.jpg

post-17065-13535085616465_thumb.jpg

post-17065-13535085617025_thumb.jpg

post-17065-13535085617587_thumb.jpg

post-17065-13535085618078_thumb.jpg

post-17065-13535085616_thumb.jpg

post-17065-13535085616465_thumb.jpg

post-17065-13535085617025_thumb.jpg

post-17065-13535085617587_thumb.jpg

post-17065-13535085618078_thumb.jpg

Edited by ktgrok
adding photos

I used to be a kitchen designer and believe that it is more important to have a functional kitchen than a show kitchen. I would have no problem moving a sink off center to make the other cabinets more functional. Is the sink centered under a window? That makes it a little more tricky...

I LOVE kitchen design!

ETA: I see it's on the half wall...I would have NO problem moving it off center. You should post a pic and dimensions of the wall.

Edited by mom2l&j

Nothing is centered in my kitchen ;). and My kitchen is a triangle, not a cooking triangle, the floorplan is a triangle. Really weird, but it works well and everyone who visits likes it (or they're just being nice :tongue_smilie:). I say lay it our however is most convenient, as long as it still looks nice. Off center isn't necessarily bad.

Good luck with the redo, flood sounds bad but new kitchen sounds good.

Ok, I uploaded pictures, and added them to the first post. Give me your best ideas to make that the most efficient space possible. I love to cook, and I like to bake. I'd like to have an area where I have room to spread out and do that. Oh, and that big pantry sized cabinet is coming out as well.

Does the range need to stay in the same place? Can it move down further away from the sink wall?

Do you have dimensions?

Hmm. Right now it is about a foot away from the pantry area. I guess we could move it flush against it, but that would be awkward I would think, when using big pots and such. Maybe?

Hmm. Right now it is about a foot away from the pantry area. I guess we could move it flush against it, but that would be awkward I would think, when using big pots and such. Maybe?

I don't think I'd go that close to the wall but moving it a little might help. Presonally, I like to get the range further away from the corner so that the counter space is easier to use.

Ok, I broke out the measuring tape. I HATE those things, they scare me!! But here you go:

The left wall, with the stove area, is 6'9" from the pantry to the half wall. If we replace the pantry with something different I guess that gives us a bit more room there. The side with the sink is 11' 11" from wall to wall. The remaining side is 5'2" from the half wall to the refrigerator.

Another thought my hubby had was to put the sink next to the refrigerator, on that wall. That leaves the entire half wall area free for counter space to work. NOt sure how I feel about that....lots of space, but NO space on one side of the sink. And I wouldn't be able to do things at the sink and look out over into the family room to keep an eye on kids.

My sink is in the 96" island. There's only the dishwasher on one side, and cabinets/overhang for seating on the other. It's off center within the island and compared to the stove across the aisle. Doesn't bother me in the least. And I'm the kind of persnickety that saw that the bulkhead was 1/8 of an inch off across a 10' span walking through the door when my husband was framing it. ;)