Menu

Silly, very basic, question about communion

I am embarrassed about asking this, but this question is going to haunt me all weekend. If I ask my in-laws, they will probably not know the answer, but more than that, will probably feel that they are being questioned by the non-religious family anthropologist again, and I don't like making them feel that way.

We are going to a Baptism on Sunday, and my son (7) has a lot of questions about it. I am doing my best to answer, but since I'm not Catholic, it's difficult.

One of his questions is specific to his lifestyle. He has life-threatening allergies, and he is worried about other kids who might have allergies, who are old enough to take communion (and Catholic, obviously)... How do they know that the communion wafer is safe? I told him I would imagine that their mommies talk to the priest, and make sure.

But, my goodness, I'd never thought about this. Was that the right answer? What about people with celiac disease? Is there a special ... something ... for them?

See... I had good reason to be embarrassed about this one, didn't I?

And I hope this isn't offensive in any way, to anyone. ...Kiddo has a lot more questions, too... I'm counting on the in-laws to be pleased to answer some of these in person. :)

In the EO we have many celiacs that take communion. I will be honest and say that at some point they probably had to take the plunge and see how their body reacted, while being completely prepared for a negative outcome. That of course is the practical non-theological answer. :D

About this one, I would really have to ask a priest about it.

I would tell Ds that their moms would talk with the priest about it.

I do know that there is something special about Communion-- for example, I do know a person who is a recovered alcoholic and he can not drink a speck of wine, anytime, because it will start his downward spiral. Yet he can have communion (at our kind of church it is wine and bread mixed together) with no ill effects.

HTH and don't be embarrassed, it's not a silly question. :001_smile:

I am embarrassed about asking this question, but this is going to haunt me all weekend. If I ask my in-laws, they will probably not know the answer, but more than that, will probably feel that they are being questioned by the non-religious family anthropologist again, and I don't like making them feel that way.

I'm sure they would have known the answers to the questions below. It is pretty standard stuff.

We are going to a Baptism on Sunday, and my son (7) has a lot of questions about it. I am doing my best to answer, but since I'm not Catholic, it's difficult.

Understandable.

One of his questions is specific to his lifestyle. He has life-threatening allergies, and he is worried about other kids who might have allergies, who are old enough to take communion (and Catholic, obviously)... How do they know that the communion wafer is safe? I told him I would imagine that their mommies talk to the priest, and make sure.

This is probably how parents handle these types situations. Also one does not have receive Eucharist in both forms (bread and wine) to fully partake. Often people do not drink the wine. It could work the other way also - no bread but have the wine.

But, my goodness, I'd never thought about this. Was that the right answer? What about people with celiac disease? Is there a special ... something ... for them?

Some parishes are providing non-wheat bread. The small parish I attended a few years back has the people suffering from celiac disease to approach at the end so their bread was not confused with the wheat bread.

See... I had good reason to be embarrassed about this one, didn't I?

No, these are perfectly valid questions.

And I hope this isn't offensive in any way, to anyone. ...Kiddo has a lot more questions, too... I'm counting on the in-laws to be pleased to answer some of these in person. :)

Not offensive at all.

Thank you. And a bigger thank you for alleviating both the embarrassment and the fear of offending!

I will pass these answers along to DS, and I think it will help him to know it's not just an off-the-top-of-my-head answer.

After I posted, I remembered that one of DH's distant cousins has celiac. If she is there, I will encourage DS to talk to her about this, too.

Thanks again. :)