Menu

Catholic/Orthodox Question

Here is one for Orthodox teachings: http://www.goarch.org/ourfaith/ourfaith7077 , and there are others I can look for. :)

And another one: http://www.orthodoxchristian.info/pages/Communion.htm

And one more: http://oca.org/OCChapter.asp?SID=2&ID=53

Hope that helps; if there is something more specific you want to know, ask--one of the knowledgeable Orthodox or Catholic ladies here will be sure to know! :D

Edited by Caitilin

In the sites that Clairelise posted, in the scriptures, Jesus didn't say "This is a symbol of my body. This is a symbol of my blood." Like when he spoke to Peter, he had a good grasp of language, he would have said that if that's what he meant.

Here's some writings from the Church Fathers on the Eucharist.

On Transubstantiation from the Church Fathers (it's on how Christ is present in the Eucharist)

Scott Hahn on the Eucharist (this is apologetics, not the Catechism)

Scott Hahn on the Sacrament of the Eucharist

This one is great, Father Barron on

, it's a five minute vid. He's SO good, such a scholar. (and, here's the flipping gorgeous song he mentioned,

A great book on it is THE MASS OF THE EARLY CHRISTIANS

Edited by justamouse

In the sites that Clairelise posted, in the scriptures, Jesus didn't say "This is a symbol of my body. This is a symbol of my blood." Like when he spoke to Peter, he had a good grasp of language, he would have said that if that's what he meant.

Absolutely. And that was honestly the first points of many that began my conversion to Catholicism.

:iagree: And what convinced me personally, and this was before I became Orthodox, was His reaction to those (in John 6) who walked away because they found His commandment to eat His flesh and drink His blood a hard teaching. He didn't go after them, or send one of His disciples after them, to explain that He only meant it metaphorically. No, He turned to His disciples and asked if any of them wanted to leave too. That tells me that it's more than symbolic, and that it's not optional.

My favorite resource for this discussion is "For The Life of The World" by Alexander Schmemman. I think you could read it a dozen times and still be amazed! It is pretty deep, but establishes a basis from which an understanding of the Presence of Christ in the Eucharist can be understood.

From the first review:

Schmemann states that we were created to live in a sacramental relationship with God and the creation, but this life was lost in the Fall of Adam and Eve. Christ, who gave his life "for the life of the world," came to restore this sacramental relationship, not only with God, but with all of Creation.

Schmemann writes that the purpose of the book "is to remind its readers that in Christ, life--life in all its totality--was returned to man, given again as sacrament and communion, made Eucharist."

:iagree: And what convinced me personally, and this was before I became Orthodox, was His reaction to those (in John 6) who walked away because they found His commandment to eat His flesh and drink His blood a hard teaching. He didn't go after them, or send one of His disciples after them, to explain that He only meant it metaphorically. No, He turned to His disciples and asked if any of them wanted to leave too. That tells me that it's more than symbolic, and that it's not optional.

:iagree:

Greta, that's exactly the scripture Father Barron goes into, explaining the historical context of how abhorrent it was to the Jews who were present with him. And then yes, he didn't correct himself, he turned to them and asked if they would leave, too.

It's a difficult thing to wrestle with.

:iagree:

Greta, that's exactly the scripture Father Barron goes into, explaining the historical context of how abhorrent it was to the Jews who were present with him. And then yes, he didn't correct himself, he turned to them and asked if they would leave, too.

It's a difficult thing to wrestle with.

Oh, I will have to check out that link! Sounds like an interesting read. :001_smile:

This isn't about doctrine, but it is about a miracle clearly showing that it isn't symbolic. :)

http://www.miraclerosarymission.org/lanciano.html

There's also a fascinating youtube series by a scientist who compared Lanciano with another Eucharistic miracle. I've posted it in the past, but can't find the right words to get it to come up in the search.

Thank you for posting this! I haven't seen his videos before and now I'm hooked. :D

Hooked is putting it mildly for me-as I was waiting for RCIA to start I watched his vids for weeks straight. He's an exceptional teacher. :-)

Oh, I will have to check out that link! Sounds like an interesting read. :001_smile:

It's the video I linked. :-)