Menu

Credit cards

I don't have one. I want one. Just a small one to build my credit. Right now, I have only one thing on my credit report and that's a small medical bill that I'm paying off.

Where do I start? I've seen ads for Orchard Bank and Capital One, but I've also seen horror stories about them.

Any suggestions or experience to share?

You can get a secured credit card to build your credit. With a secured card, you put some amount of money into a bank CD and they give you a credit card with an credit limit that matches the amount you have saved. The money in the CD is collateral; if you default on the credit card, the bank will keep the money you put in the CD.

Be wise with credit card use, though. Only buy what you are positive you can definitely pay off at the end of the billing cycle. Pay the card in full every month. Do not carry a balance. If you do it this way, the card will be a useful tool, but if you treat the card as if it were extra money to pay back whenever, it will turn into a trap!

You can get a secured credit card to build your credit. With a secured card, you put some amount of money into a bank CD and they give you a credit card with an credit limit that matches the amount you have saved. The money in the CD is collateral; if you default on the credit card, the bank will keep the money you put in the CD.

Be wise with credit card use, though. Only buy what you are positive you can definitely pay off at the end of the billing cycle. Pay the card in full every month. Do not carry a balance. If you do it this way, the card will be a useful tool, but if you treat the card as if it were extra money to pay back whenever, it will turn into a trap!

Yes, I definitely want a small one. I don't want to go out and buy a lot of stuff; just mostly use it for gas or groceries and pay it off to get my score higher. I watched my EX abuse CC's all through our marriage and there is NO way I want to get into the bind he put our family in with his reckless spending. But, I do want to boost my score and I think the only way I can really do that is to build my own positive credit history. (None of those cards had my name on them and he was given those debts entirely in our divorce).

I'll check out the secured cards. Thanks!

I really like our Chase Freedom, if you decide to go the traditional credit card route. They give 1% cash back on all purchases and 5% cash back on rotating categories. During the summer months gas purchases earn 5% cash back. The current categories are dining, department stores, and charities.

There's no annual fee, and we pay it off each month, so it's kind of like being paid to use it :001_smile:.

:iagree:

I belong to a credit union. It never occurred to me to ask them about it! I just don't want a bunch of CC companies doing checks and lowering my score more if they don't approve me. I'll talk to someone at my credit union, too. I do have a Visa debit card, but that obviously doesn't do much for me, credit-wise.

I love Discover, and got it, to develop credit in my name. Then, when the VISA got so many fees, etc., we just started using the Discover all the time and getting all these cash-back things. Also, lots of benefit to using it on Amazon.

Good luck.