Menu

Highschool Math Program

Hey there, I decided not to use an online course for math. I first thought that I would use teaching textbooks but with all the bad reviews saying its behind I am not sure. So I was wondering what you reccomend.:bigear:

Things I need

-an independent program

-Algebra 2 and Pre-Calculus

-I am an auditory and visual learner

i'm a saxon fan. a local math teacher's opinion that i value greatly, suggests saxon. i will warn you that there is no fluff. book is plain jane, no color or pictures so don't be shocked. i think the program is awesome. we use the dvd's by art reed. you can google it. art is a seasoned saxon math teacher. he has a book too that i suggest you get on how to use the system. he writes a newsletter too on his website. we are doing algebra I right now. good luck in your search.

I wouldn't discount TT if you learn from it. My guys used it and did extremely well on the ACT math portion (upper 90 percentiles) and tested easily into Calc as per our local cc placement testing.

It does go slower and delays some topics, but I don't consider that "bad" personally.

You can always get a Lial's College Algebra book to look through after finishing Pre-Calc. Older editions are very inexpensive online. Lial's will go into some more depth in certain areas. When I had my middle son go through it he didn't find anything he couldn't do based upon what he'd learned from TT.

I did supplement matrices with TT (it's in Pre-Calc) as they don't teach how to do them on the graphing calculator. I wanted my guys to know how to solve them with the graphing calculator after they'd learned to manipulate them (solve them) by hand.

I am not a Saxon lover, so you aren't alone if you don't like it. That said, use whatever works for you as people are different. There is no "one" program that will work well for all. The important thing is that you truly know the math you are doing (understand the concepts).

Middle son is currently using Thinkwell for Calculus. He likes that course far better than older son's Chalkdust and Thinkwell isn't as expensive as Chalkdust, so it's another online consideration for you - he has earlier courses too.

Edited by creekland

Lial's has very clear teaching in the text itself, and also has DVTs you can buy. It's also available very inexpensively if you get the previous edition, and you can also easily get the full solutions manual. They have AlgII and PreCalc.

Foersters has videos through Math without Borders, but I don't think they go through PreCalc?

My ds has used Thinkwell for Algebra and Geometry. It is an online program, meaning you access the lessons via the internet, but it is not associated with any school or teacher.

It consists of online video lectures, followed by a problem set which is automatically graded by the system. The teacher explains things very well and is a bit light-hearted. The equations and examples are on an on-screen whiteboard next to the video of the lecture, so you are listening to the explanation as you watch the problems being worked out on the board, just as you would in a real classroom.

There are also chapter tests, mid-term and final exams, also graded automatically. Their customer service is great. You can contact them if you don't understand something and they will email you back with an explanation.

It costs about $130, but Homeschool Buyers Co-op has sales several times a year so I have bought it through them for around $65.

It is truly independent due to the automatic grading, as opposed to a textbook with accompanying CD. Teaching Textbooks is similar, except you don't see the teacher, it is not a true lecture, but a verbal explanation of the lesson. TT is a great program for someone who needs math broken down into very small chunks and explained thoroughly at every step, but it can be quite boring for someone who catches on more quickly. If you don't have particular trouble with math and want a program that will prepare you for the lecture-style presentation of a college classroom, I would look into Thinkwell.

Good luck!

I really like Kinetic books, but right now they only go up to Algebra II, so you'd have to switch programs after that.

You should take a look at Lial's. InterAct Math is a free program and it coordinates with Lial's.

http://interactmath.com/home.aspx

It has a bunch of problems online and they all have "help me" buttons to assist you in reaching the solution when you can't figure out how to do the problem. It also has a "similar problem" button so you can work a similar problem on your own after you've needed help.

I am so sorry I have not replied sooner but my internet was down.:glare: None of the other programs seem to work for me. I was half asleep before it was over. They seemed amazingly detailed but I really wan't something that teaches me what I need to in the quickest possible way. TT caught my attention because of this and now I am also looking at Thinkwell. Its nice that this one has automatic grading and a midterm and final and the man is pretty easy to understand. Does anybody know if thinkwell covers more than TT and if so how much?

If you like the looks of TT, there's nothing really wrong with it other than being slightly slower-paced than other math programs.

It would be difficult to go from TT alg 2 into another precalculus, because they haven't introduced trig, functions, logs. For example, compare thinkwell/tt algebra 2. But their precalc covers everything I'd expect an average precalc to cover.

If you learned and actually *understood* their precalc, as opposed to something more difficult that you didn't understand as well, it would be superior. The best math program is the one that teaches you so that you understand it, remember it, and can apply it in your other classes such as chemistry/physics.