Menu

Is Rosetta Stone really that bad?

Dd wants to use Rosetta Stone French for next year, the new homeschool version. After all that I've read on this board about how bad it is, I'm really worried about what she will learn, or not, from it. She's looked at all the of the samples of every French program I could find, and likes it the best. I'm torn. Is there something I can add to it, to make it worthy of a high school credit, or is it just a lost cause? A tutor is not a possibility here.

TIA!

I think that Rosetta Stone can help with developing proper punctuation, but I don't think they do a good job of explaining the grammar, and the students become confused about the rules. What about using RS and adding a high-school french text book on the side? I found plenty of high school texts for a few bucks apiece (Some titles: Quoi de neuf, Vis-a-vis) which I found by searching places like Follett Educational Services. HTH

IMHO, not bad at all. I've used it for Italian, and my dd tried it for French a while ago. Dd hated the French because she hated using special characters to type all the accents, and thought it was way too repetitious. Also not fond of the time it takes any computer program to start up and run.

I like it for Italian as I think the picture association really works to cement words in your mind. I, too, find it repetitious, however. What I have done is do the first section of each lesson, then just do the tests for the other sections until I get to the writing/spelling portion. then I usually have to slow down a bit to get all the spelling right.

What dd also found frustrating was the lack of grammar explanations. If your student gets interested in learning the why of how something is said, she may want to go into a grammar program and there are many available (including mine, shameless promo).

The student's enthusiasm is the best tool in learning. If Rosetta Stone is what she wants to begin with, I'd go with it. It doesn't coordinate well with the National French Exam or standard high school expectations, because of the lack of grammar. What about trying it over the summer as an intro, then doing something like French in Action for a superb high school level program?

Danielle

Well, I can say that for less-commonly taught languages (Turkish) it is great! We used it very successfully in our elementary years. But it is true that the writing/grammar parts are lacking. However I would say that it is a fine way to begin to establish a working vocabularly and familiarity with a language, so go for it, if you think it might work for your family. My kids loved it and did learn a lot from it.

No Rosettastone is not bad at all. You just need to use it appropriately. It is NOT designed for systematic grammar instruction. It is good for giving a student an ear for the language, and the method they use is a good complement to a text. However, for high school, I really would recommend a traditional text alongside of RS. Then you'll have a very solid program.

Where RS gets its "bad" rep is from people using it as a stand-alone in high school. (I think it's great for elementary as the primary learning vehicle. We've used it through 4 kids)

I've never heard bad things about Rosetta Stone. My older son used it to review last summer before he began Spanish II in a private school setting and it served him well. It does not include reading, writing, or a really organized grammar program, so I think you would have to combine some other things with it. One book he also used that might help you fill out some in those other areas was Barron's Spanish Now!

We've been using this for German. I don't think it's BAD for a number of languages at all; it's a great introduction to a language because the kids are learning the vocabulary without translating. I think that's great. As a stand-alone language program for high school, it's not enough. Once dd had finished Level II of the German, we'll get a grammar based program and really get to studying it. Of course, German is a relatively closely related language.

I have heard caution about using it for Chinese due to the tones that require one on one tutoring, but we haven't studied Chinese.

We'll use Rosetta Stone Spanish through elementary and middle school, but I'll probably enroll my daughter in a college course when she gets to high school age because I don't think Rosetta Stone gives enough instruction to count as a legitimate high school credit. Of course, I haven't used the second level of RS Spanish yet. We'll see.