Menu

Dr. Hive... unusual, immediate swelling of joint?

My ds 4 just tripped over a computer cord and fell on his knee. He tends to react pretty dramatically to injuries, but I rolled up his pant leg anyway to check on the state of his knee. It was ENORMOUS. Swollen to the size of a baseball. He quickly stopped fussing and was ready to move on but because of the size of the knee, I insisted on icing it. It seemed to help some but it is still huge. My dh doesn't think it could have swollen that fast from his fall, that maybe there was something pre-existing (dh was right here when it happened). What could cause this??? Ds seems fine now but his knee still looks bizarre, in an Elephant-man kind of way. Puffy, swollen, weird.

Ds doesn't have any other health issues except that he's not very active. I have noticed he rarely chooses the physical activity but would rather sit and talk, do a puzzle, play, etc. Different from my other boys, but I just figured it was "him." Now I'm wondering if there could be a bigger picture afoot. :confused:

That's an immediate dr's visit, IMO. A ligament injury or a fracture would cause immediate swelling like that. He may have fractured his knee cap. I hope not, though! Update when you find out what it is.

Wouldn't he be complaining if he fractured it? He's acting like nothing happened. He sits down/gets up a little gingerly but that's it. This is the boy who limps like a war vet when he has a tiny splinter.

I tore a ligament in my knee and didn't feel it.

I fell skiing and was very frustrated with myself on my next run because I just couldn't stay in control ofmy skiis. I decided to call it quits and by the time we walked to the car I realized that there was a problem because it had swollen to the point that I couldn't bend it to sit in the backseat.

Praying your little guy is okay!

ETA: I would bring in my child if they experienced what you are describing.

Edited by LibertyH

Wouldn't he be complaining if he fractured it? He's acting like nothing happened. He sits down/gets up a little gingerly but that's it. This is the boy who limps like a war vet when he has a tiny splinter.

Read about bursitis resulting from a fall/impact. He could use a dr. appt to diagnose and possibly a steroid injection... HTH!