Menu

inspiring article about partially h-sed teen who stutters at community college

This is an inspiring article about a teen boy who has been both homeschooled and charter schooled who is attending a community college p/t. He stutters and his teacher reprimanded him for taking up class time. She feels his stuttering is intrusive and refuses to pick him to answer questions.

Interestingly, the national organization for stuttering (can't recall the name) said that the reason this problem isn't seen frequently is simply because most stutterers won't speak up in class. But this brave teen does, and is, despite an unsupportive teacher-and he's only 16!

James Earl Jones is/was a stutterer. (that marvolous voice) His HS english teacher didn't belive (after all, stutterers must be stupid /sarc.) he wrote a poem and demanded he come and recite it for the class. He was terrified, but because he didn't have to "think" about what he was saying - he was reciting what he'd written - he didn't stutter. One of the reasons he ended up in acting - what he was saying was scripted and he didn't have to think about it.

Thank you! I passed this on to my ds' speech therapist. He

Ds had a rough time with stuttering and blocks since 3rd grade, but has made incredible progress with his wonderful therapist. He hasn't had a block in the past two years and is currently in a Speech and Debate class at his enrichment school.

Stuttering can be an incredible disability and I am so glad this student is standing up for his right to be a part of the classroom.

Excellent article.

I am aghast at the teacher's response. I'm not a college professor, but I can think of 2-3 ways off the top of my head to help him to participate in the class. Not that I'm all that and a slice of bread, but I think the issue could easily have been addressed in a way that's encouraging rather than insulting.

Cat

James Earl Jones is/was a stutterer. (that marvolous voice) His HS english teacher didn't belive (after all, stutterers must be stupid /sarc.) he wrote a poem and demanded he come and recite it for the class. He was terrified, but because he didn't have to "think" about what he was saying - he was reciting what he'd written - he didn't stutter. One of the reasons he ended up in acting - what he was saying was scripted and he didn't have to think about it.

How inspiring. I'm glad he figured that out. This student is inspiring, too, as are his parents. They have obviously done something right if he is not afraid to speak up.