Menu

Revised Highschool Plan. How does this look?

This is dd's highschool plan for the next 3 years. She thinks she wants to be a neonatel nurse. How does it look?

10th Grade

TOG Y2

-Theological Studies (1/2 credit)

-World History II (1 credit)

-Honors Classic Literature(1 credit)

-Composition II (1/2 credit)

-Government/Philosophy (1/2 credit)

TT Pre-Calculus (1 credit)

Apologia Chemistry (1 credit)

Spanish (1/2 credit)

Easy Grammar, Classical Roots Vocabulary

11th grade

TOG Y3(includes History, Literature, Government, Church History, and Philosophy)

Don't know what to do for math :confused:

Apologia Human Body

Critical Thinking

Easy Grammar, Classical Roots Vocab

12th grade

TOG Y4

Again don't know about math?

Apologia Physics

Elective TBD

Plus, she already has 9 credits from previous years...

:bigear:

Have you by chance looked at possible schools she may want to go to for her nursing schooling?

Maybe they could help with the science and math recommendations?

I've heard Latin might help. The Spanish is a definite plus! Is she fluent? Would she consider taking it the rest of the way through high school if not? I bet fluency in Spanish would be huge for a nursing career.

What a great goal!

I'd ditch Apologia for something way more rigorous, to be honest. We used it, and I like it, but ds isn't going for a science degree.

I'd take a placement test for calculus at the end of the TT course and see if she can take that. I'd also add in a stats course.

I'd do an advanced chem instead of physics, unless physics is recommended by the college of her choice.

I'd ditch Apologia for something way more rigorous, to be honest. We used it, and I like it, but ds isn't going for a science degree.

I'd take a placement test for calculus at the end of the TT course and see if she can take that. I'd also add in a stats course.

I'd do an advanced chem instead of physics, unless physics is recommended by the college of her choice.

:iagree: Except I would recommend taking anatomy and physiology as well as physics, so for one of her electives, I would make it science. I would look into Scanlon's A&P text and Campbell's biology.

Thanks!

We did think about doing Campbell's Biology. Would it work as an elective since she already did Apologia Biology? Does Campbell's cover phisiology?

She did Latin in 6th and 7th grade and HATED it so I let her off the hook but that probably would help her in the science area...

She just started Spanish so she is not fluent, we've done very little foriegn language so she's a little behind in that area.

We haven't researched schools yet, she just came up with this idea a few months ago so it's not set in stone.

What's recommended for Calculus and Statistics? I thought about Saxon.

Thanks for your ideas!

You've gotten some really good suggestions so far...

I would also second the need for a stats class. I've heard TT doesn't go as in depth as some of the other math curricula so you might want to double check her mad math skillz in Pre-Cal and Trig.

Anatomy and Physiology are great choices for science... Apologia wouldn't be my first choice though as it also seems to lack the depth needed for a career in nursing. I would also choose advanced Biology and Chemistry over physics. If you're still trying to fill a year with science and you've completed those I would go with a microbiology class or pathophysiology at a CC.

Spanish will prove beneficial if she does decide to go into nursing... (I'm a nurse... wish I knew more....):tongue_smilie:

HTH!!

What is best to use for Calculus and Stats? I've looked into Chalkdust, but they are to expensive. I've also looked into LOF, but I don't know if I would want it as a spine text... maybe a supplement. I've also looked at Saxon.

I'll probably have her finish the year with Apologia Chem since I already bought it and money is tight. I did look into getting CAmpbell's Bio or Scanlon's A&P from half.com and they were pretty affordable. Would these work as electives on the side of Apologia Chem?

Thanks for all the suggestions!