Menu

What did you use for 20th Century history?

My son asked to study Modern History last year (he was an older 10th grader). I started the year using bits and pieces from Ambleside Online, but by the end of his first 12 weeks of school I was slowly adding more and more from the AO Year 11 (modern history).

He did AO Year 11 *lite* instead of the regular Year 11. There's just TOO much reading in the regular year.

Here's what he used...

-main spine: A History of the Twentieth Century: The Concise Edition of the Acclaimed World History by Martin Gilbert

-Biographies:

Black Boy by Richard Wright (from Year 11's regular schedule)

The Men Behind Hitler by Bernhard Schreiber (online here)

The Trial at Nuremberg (one short essay online here)

The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom

When Character Was King by Peggy Noonan (20 chapters)

-speeches and documents: ALL from the Y11 *lite*...links to read them and/or listen to them online are at the AO website

-Literature:

The Chosen by Chaim Potok

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (3 parts)

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Lord of the Flies by William Golding (from Y11's regular schedule

-short stories: ALL of Y11 *lite* selections (links to them online at the AO website)

-Essays: Both of the Y11 *lite* selections (again, there are links to these on the AO website)

He did not read "Amusing Ourselves to Death" by Neil Postman, but I wish I had scheduled that. I do plan to have him read it at some point either this year or next. This is a worldview book.

I must share that he enjoyed that AO year sooo much that we decided to do their Year 9 and 10 for his last two years of highschool. So far, he's LOVING year 9 this year as much as he did Year 11 last year. (Oh, and we are doing year 9 *lite* just like we did with year 11).

I highly recommended using the reading schedule at the AO website also. That makes planning SO easy. They have done a wonderful job of corresponding the readings (MUCH better than Sonlight does. We used Core 100 and some of the readings in lit. didn't correspond to what they were reading in history...frustrating for my ds).

http://www.amblesideonline.org/b11bks.shtml

http://www.amblesideonline.org/b11Sch.shtml

We used TOG year 4 last year along with documentaries. Here is what we did:

20th Century World History

This world history course begins with U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt and continues through the most recent president, covering major events of the 1900’s and early 2000’s. Students will focus on and follow developments relating to World War I, the Roaring Twenties, the Depression, the rise of Totalitarianism, World War II, the Cold War, the Korean War, the Vietnam conflict, and the Gulf War. Countries surveyed include Germany, Italy, Japan, Israel, India, China, and Africa. Changes in the family structure, medical advancements, the Space Race, and other revolutionary topics will be explored. Students will earn one full credit upon completion of this course.

Books, Materials List, Resources: ( Entire resource used unless otherwise noted.)

America in the 1900s and 1910s Jim Callan

Imperialism a History in Documents Bonnie G Smith

DK World War I H.P.Willmot

American Presidency Edited by Alan Brinkley and Davis Dyer: Teddy Roosevelt through George W. Bush

Three “Whys†of the Russian Revolution by Richard Pipes

Only Yesterday: An Informal History of the 1920’s by Frederick Lewis Allen

Stalin: Russia’s Man of Steel by Albert Marrin

Hitler by Albert Marrin

America in the 1930’s by Jim Callan

The Good Fight: How World War II was Won

by Stephen E. Ambrose

The Cold War: A History in Documents Allan M. Winkler

A Young Person’s History of Israel by David Bamberger

Ghandi and India by Gianni Sofri

Mao Zedong by Maurice Meisner

America in the 1950’s by Charles Wills

America in the 1960’s by Jim Callan

America in the 1970’s

Eyewitness to Power by David Gergen

America in the 1990’s

A Charge Kept

Movies/Documentaries:

American Experience: Influenza 1918

90 Degrees South

Teaching Company DVD’s : Churchill taught by Professor J. Rufus Fears, University of Oklahoma

Teaching Company DVd’s: A History of Hitler’s Empire, 2nd edition taught by Professor Thomas Childres, University of Pennsylvania

Sergeant York

Biography: Joseph Stalin: Red Terror

FDR: Presidency Revealed

Ken Burn’s The War

Good Night and Good Luck

American Experience: MacArthur

Ruby Bridges

American Experience: JFK

Civil Rights: Eye on the Prize Parts 1 & 2

Thirteen Days

American Experience RFK

American Experience: LBJ

American Experience: Carter

NBC News Presents: Ronald Reagan

American Experience: George HW Bush

CNN Election 2000

Field Trips

6th Floor Museum -Dallas, Texas

War Cabinet Rooms and Churchill Museum- London

Imperial War Museum – London

D- Day Beaches- France

Fort Doumount and Verdun battle sites- France

The Teaching Company: Interpreting the 20th Century: The Struggle Over Democracy.

A Short History of the 20th Century by Geoffrey Blainey

Original source documents and other books recommended in the Teaching Company Booklet.

We did this as part of a small 3-family co op. We watched the videos together - 2 - 3 a week. We read in the Blainey book as preparation. We also had our students pick a research topic for each quarter and they had to come up with a several page paper on that topic. They also read several books by the likes of Studs Terkel, Stephen Ambrose, Gandhi, etc. We watched movies and documentaries about that time as well. Our kids really liked this history study.

We used TOG year 4 last year along with documentaries. Here is what we did:

Field Trips

6th Floor Museum -Dallas, Texas

War Cabinet Rooms and Churchill Museum- London

Imperial War Museum – London

D- Day Beaches- France

Fort Doumount and Verdun battle sites- France

You were able to take field trips to England and France??!! :svengo:

You were able to take field trips to England and France??!! :svengo:

Yep, it was our last hoorrah for travel since the boys would be taking cc classes. We spent 4 nights in the Normandy area in a gite... spent 291 euros to spend those 4 nights in a gite... in our case a 15th century farmhouse. We took a Band of Brothers tour. It was awesome!! We only spent half a day at Verdun and I wish we had spent a whole weekend and skipped Paris and Versailles especially. OUr whole entire family hated Versailles...it was horribly crowded and so ostentatious. The villages that haven't been rebuilt and the craters that are EVERYWHERE are so much more moving... It was a fabulous opportunity. We used frequent flier miles that we earned through our credit card and checking account. We had saved them up.. So the flight to England only cost 12.50 cents total for the 5 of us!!! The flight home cost 600 dollars total because of the higher taxes.

Christine

Wow Christine! That's amazing. What a great opportunity.

Thanks everyone for your input. I have TOG 4, this kid went to school the year we used it home. TOG doesn't work well with him. The reading overwhelms and then there are discipline issues that we are constantly working on. I think I'm going to pull together something on my own using TOG, Ambleside online, the WTM suggestions, and TC. I have the Churchill video and I also have a great Childers audio called Europe and Western Civilization in the Modern Age. I like the idea of a Context page from the WTM.

Today will be teacher in-service. Thanks for helping me think this through.

Karen

For 12th grade dd2 is doing history, literature and culture (3 credits) from the French Revolution to the end of the Twentieth Century -- rather broader than you are looking for but for the history portion I'm using the relevant chapters of The Making of the West: Peoples and Cultures -- Lynn Hunt (it comes in many different formats) together with the Teaching company course Europe and Western Civilization in the Modern Age plus selected podcasts from BBC Radio 4's program In Our Time hosted by Melvyn Bragg.

hth

~Moira

Peacewalking and a little reading to go along with it. It wasn't comprehensive, but it did cover many issues, especially when combined with scifi reading and TWTM logic stage 8th grade history reading list. They read Spielvogel, which covered 20th cent. history along with everything else. The older one complained that it didn't cover it in enough depth, so I will probably have the youngest read the 20th century text in the same series. Youngest is also doing a French history program which will include 20th century. It includes geography, which includes many modern issues.

Nan

Edited by Nan in Mass