Menu

Buying from someone on Etsy?

How do I know I can trust someone from Etsy? It would be a custom made scarf, knitted. The seller doesn't have any feedback or pictures of finished products. I'm worried because I have to pay up front before she even makes it, which seems to be the standard at least among the posts I've been reading. How do I know if I should take a chance? We're talking about something that will be about $150. I'm kind of nervous!

It's a customized version of the 4th Doctor Who's scarf, so it isn't a small project, hence the price. :tongue_smilie:

Could you check out some other sellers who are knitters and ask them if they'd be able to do custom work like that? You could probably find someone to do it who has feedback. Not that I'm trying to take a sale from this girl, whoever she is. (But she could build up her feedback with smaller sales.)

Or, you could ask to pay only half up front, and half upon delivery, or something like that.

I don't think I"d commission a piece that big/expensive from someone with no track record. New sellers need time to learn, and starting small is the best way to do it. There's a lot that could go wrong if neither you nor the seller have any experience. There are many, many sellers on etsy. Look some more - you don't need someone who's done the Doc before, just someone with a track record of knitting, ideally with larger projects.

(And you know, knitting scarves is actually quite simple... You could pick up the stix yourself....)

I don't think I"d commission a piece that big/expensive from someone with no track record. New sellers need time to learn, and starting small is the best way to do it. There's a lot that could go wrong if neither you nor the seller have any experience. There are many, many sellers on etsy. Look some more - you don't need someone who's done the Doc before, just someone with a track record of knitting, ideally with larger projects.

(And you know, knitting scarves is actually quite simple... You could pick up the stix yourself....)

:iagree:No pics of ANY finished projects? Nope, sorry. I had many finished projects (with pics) before I even dared to knit for friends, let alone giant customs for strangers.

Ooh.. I have no interest in learning to knit. My dd13 was learning about a year ago and it looked tedious and boring. I'm not a big person on hobbies like that. :)

I didn't get a response from the first 2 people I've contacted. I don't know how long I should wait for a response but I think 3 days is time enough for me to send an email to someone else. She was the first person to email me back and we've exchanged a few emails today.

Ugh. What do I say to her now? I'd hate to hurt her feelings but I only just realized she had no feedback and that I would be the first person to buy from her. I realize she has to start somewhere but that's a lot of money. :(

Maybe: "I so appreciate the time you've spent emailing me today. I noticed that you don't yet have any Etsy feedback. Under those conditions, I prefer to commission projects worth no more than $20. If you upload some finished projects soon, I'd love to take a look at them!"

And then try to find someone else. If you really feel guilty, you could always think of a much smaller project for her!

She can't help if she has no feedback yet, but there is no good reason not to have pictures of finished products. If she is able to do an elaborate project, then she must have other things lying around the house that she has done in the past. This sounds like a scam to me, but if it's not, then you are doing her a favor in letting her know what will help her improve her business. I would say what GingerPoppy said.

Okay, I asked her for pictures and was honest in why I'm nervous about this. I also listed a top price I'm willing to pay that she might find too low anyway. But I still have not yet made a committment.

I was about to write that I don't know anyone who can knit but then realized I wasn't even thinking about my aunt! She sews, knits, crochets, quilts, and she's even in a spinning club and spins her own yarn! Egads!! I'm going to email her right now. :)

I was about to write that I don't know anyone who can knit but then realized I wasn't even thinking about my aunt! She sews, knits, crochets, quilts, and she's even in a spinning club and spins her own yarn! Egads!! I'm going to email her right now. :)

Even if your aunt can't do it, she can probably suggest someone who is more of a known quantity, KWIM?