Menu

favorite geography book?

mytwomonkeys

Haven't found one we love yet. :-(

For curl-up-and-readability (I'm slightly into Charlotte Mason), I like her Elementary Geography, which is available free in various places around the Internet. I need to adapt it a bit because it was written for British children 100 years ago... but surprisingly little. I mean, a compass is still a compass, and the earth still IS shaped like an orange.

I'd love to find something like Apologia or Hillyer's Child's History of the World for Geography. I have heard that A Child's Geography is sort of like this (being based, loosely, on Hillyer's Geography text).

Meanwhile, for nitty-gritty hands-on, besides mapwork in SOTW, I use Evan-Moor's Beginning Geography, which is marked K-2. Some is easy, some is harder, but it certainly covers the basics. My dd loves geography, and looks forward to these worksheets even though I don't totally love them!

My favorite "geography" item I've used yet (and I've used a bunch because it's MY favorite subject) is Paddle-to-the Sea by Holling C Holling. Hands down! It doesn't sound like it's really what you are looking for but it's well worth the time to read it. Very enjoyable and interesting. So whatever else you choose, choose it, too.

I also just started using a vintage text called Home Geography for Primary Grades by Long and I really like it, too.

My favorite "geography" item I've used yet (and I've used a bunch because it's MY favorite subject) is Paddle-to-the Sea by Holling C Holling. Hands down! It doesn't sound like it's really what you are looking for but it's well worth the time to read it. Very enjoyable and interesting. So whatever else you choose, choose it, too.

:iagree:We read this over the summer and then at the end watched the little National Film Board of Canada animation from the 60s. We are right on Lake Ontario, and then went and vacationed near another lake and river system, and it felt so lovely and intimate to be reading about these waterways as animated entities with a life of their own.

I don't think of it as geography, BUT... believe me, for weeks afterwards, even my 3-year-old was walking around talking about Lake Huron (the trapper), Lake Superior (the wolf), Lake Erie (the coal) and Lake Ontario (the carrot). Ugh, which one was Michigan again? My kids could probably tell you!

We definitely have the other HCH books on our reading list for this year.

And I think, after thinking about it, that I will probably buy A Child's Geography, as well. :-)

i'm wondering if anyone has a favorite geography book (such as evan moor, spectrum, etc). there are too many to thumb through, so i thought i'd ask what your favorite one is. fwiw, i'm interested in grades 2 & 4. TIA.

The Complete Book of Maps and Geography is my all-time favorite for elementary! It actually goes up to 6th grade. There are definitely lessons your 2nd grader can do, even though it says grades 3-6. You can see a couple samples and the table of contents at Rainbow Resources. However, that is not the most current version.

Blessings,

Denise

We are currently using A Child's Geography Exploring the Holy Land as our Geography text. It includes so much... story like text, mapping activiites, a "travel log" and Field notes (similar to Narration exercises) and other activieis (recipes, art projects, music links, etc.) So far, we haven't been able to do any of the "other" exercises. But my son and I are both really enjoying geography this year.

We used My World and Globe when ds was in K, and liked it. You could amp it up for the fourth grader. We may be getting A Child's Geography next year, or go with Discovering The World of Geography put out by National Geographic. I'm not sure yet. We also enjoyed Kingfisher's Discoverers Series' Maps and Mapping in 1st grade. Geography is one of my pet subjects :)

The Complete Book of Maps and Geography is my all-time favorite for elementary! You can see a couple samples and the table of contents at Rainbow Resources. However, that is not the most current version.

Blessings,

Denise

Sorry to derail OP but this is a book I have looked at several times and really like. Neesy, is the new one just like the older edition in terms of actual content or have they changed a lot of it? There's no way to see content in the newer editions.

OP this looks to be a good book for beginning geography skills.

Sorry to derail OP but this is a book I have looked at several times and really like. Neesy, is the new one just like the older edition in terms of actual content or have they changed a lot of it? There's no way to see content in the newer editions.

Oh, great. Another book to add to my amazon cart. :tongue_smilie:

I'd love to find something like Apologia or Hillyer's Child's History of the World for Geography. I have heard that A Child's Geography is sort of like this (being based, loosely, on Hillyer's Geography text).

We are using this, but I have the books called Young People's Story of Our Heritage. They are rewrites by Hillyer and Huey, and include many pictures throughout the books. Granted, they are older books, but it's fun to see how places have changed through time. The history of a state or place doesn't change, and that is always interesting to read. I think the books have retained the *storybook-like* feel of the original Hillyer text.

You can find these books on the resale market or sometimes in thrift shops.

Careful what threads you open on the WTM boards. You'll usually end up opening your wallet too. :w00t:

Don't I know it. Unfortunately I have a terrible book buying addiction, and often come here to post my favorites, so that I don't feel so alone with my "problem".

I haven't ordered the new one yet, because my little guys aren't old enough for it. I know the new one has a poster and stickers (woohoo lol!). I guess with geography, unless its historical geography, I always want the newest, since it seems things/places/names, etc. seem to change so often in this crazy world. Sorry I am not more help on this. I would imagine samples of this newest version will show up online soon, but if you are needing it now, I guess if it were me, I'd go ahead and oder the newest one:glare:. Just my opinion, though.

We are currently using A Child's Geography Exploring the Holy Land as our Geography text. It includes so much... story like text, mapping activiites, a "travel log" and Field notes (similar to Narration exercises) and other activieis (recipes, art projects, music links, etc.) So far, we haven't been able to do any of the "other" exercises. But my son and I are both really enjoying geography this year.

We also have and used this. It is WONDERFUL and unlike any other geography book you will find out there. It also has some science as well. I didn't recommend it because it took us so much time and I got so wrapped up in doing the projects with the kids and I made forms to go with them...and to go with the books...sigh. It also seemed that some of the text was geared for a 5 year old and some of the concepts were geared for a 12 year old?? I don't know, maybe it was just me! I suppose that is done purposely, so it can be used with a variety of ages, maybe. We (or should I say, "I" lol!) loved the "Reaching Out to His World" at the end of each unit and the postcard writing, the books, and the projects! This book truly is remarkable. One thing I have to remember though, is I went through this curriculum with my most difficult, most stubborn, most "do I HAVE to!?" child...the child that just wanted to get it done and check it off the list. LOL! This is NOT that type of geography curriculum (especially not the way is "intended" to be used). It has Bible, science, language arts (including narration and copywork), service projects/studies, art, speech, and of course....geography ;). I would say, using this would depend on how much you are already doing and how much time you have in your week for "Geography"?

If anyone wants those forms and can tell me how to attach them here:confused:...or I could email them. I would be glad to share. They are: Geography Book Report Forms (one informational and one for fiction), a simple Atmosphere Layers Puzzle to make, a Reaching Out to His World form, Our Weekly Schedule (what to do each day), the continents, Rules for Neat Maps (kids can keep in their notebook), world outline map, the pages of Geography Copywork from the guide, Living Geography Book List, and the Atmosphere Layer Cookie mixes I created for our dd when she did the curriculum. She has since used that twice as speech/demonstrations and still makes the cookies often. ;)

Ok....TOO MUCH information, right? LOL! Feel free to contact me with any questions. My book is put away right now, but.....hopefully I will remember without digging it out! LOL

Blessings,

:)Denise

OOOOPS!!! :ack2::ohmy::blushing: Read that WRONG!! So sorry!

We actually used A Child's Geography Exploring His Earth (the first book, written before Holy Land).

Edited by Neesy
fixing my mistake

OOOOPS!!! :ack2::ohmy::blushing: Read that WRONG!! So sorry!

We actually used A Child's Geography Exploring His Earth (the first book, written before Holy Land).

I will go edit my post!:leaving:

i'm wondering if anyone has a favorite geography book (such as evan moor, spectrum, etc). there are too many to thumb through, so i thought i'd ask what your favorite one is. fwiw, i'm interested in grades 2 & 4. TIA.

At the risk of all of you wanting to strangle me for mentioning yet another geography book.... I have to mention one of the things we did with our oldest two when they were younger. Check out sample pages of the book Geography from A to Z: A Picture Glossary here. Amazon has it also with free shipping. Anyway, I had art notebooks for each of our dc that had a blank space at the top and lines at the bottom. They would draw and color the "archipelago", the "atoll", the "badlands", the "bay", the "butte", the "canyon", the "cape", "continental shelf", "crevasse", "delta", etc...one or two per page, at the top and THEN...for copywork, they would write the definition at the bottom on the lines. The booklets they made turned out really nice, and they never forgot what those geography terms meant!

I just found a couple pictures we took from their art books, but since they are in Picasa, I can only email them, not link them. :glare:

Anywaaaay.....just wanted to share. If anyone is REALLY interested, I can email you the pics from our dc's books.

Blessings,

:)Denise

thanks everyone! i will definitely check out these suggestions! we are currently using HOD bigger with my daughter, so we incorporate that (but so far, it is just review of stuff she knows). we also use the free BCP lessons at the coreknowledge website, and those are very good. i am just looking for something a little more open & go. i will check out these suggestions for sure! :) thank you again!