Menu

Precious Moments NKJ or VeggieTales NIV for AWANAS? (take 2)

VeggieTales NIV or Precious Moments NKJ?  

1. 1. VeggieTales NIV or Precious Moments NKJ?

• VeggieTales NIV; it shouldn't confuse him
    • Precious Moments NKJ; better safe than sorry
    • I have a better idea and I will post a comment about it
    • An other option that the OP is to frazzled to think of

I want to get ds 4.5 a bible for AWANAS. I LOVE the VeggieTales Bible, but it's NIV. I don't have a problem with NIV, I use it as my own personal Bible version, and I think it is more likely to be understood by a kid. But the point of having a Bible for AWANAS is to be able to look up and read it in the Bible, and they memorize the verses in NKJ.

Would two different versions confuse ds or will it add to his comprehension? Keep in mind that this kid knew his letters perfectly, but heard his friend call "f" "v" ONCE and now says it wrong :glare:

My very first poll attempt to follow...

Well, in my experience with Awana (as a former Sparks leader), the children seldom looked up verses in their Bible and read them--too few of them could actually read, or could not read well enough/loud enough for a large group to hear if during devotion time. During memory time, the children use their handbooks, with a pre-printed version. I'd go with the Bible you like best and would also use outside Awana, and not worry about confusion.

Well, in my experience with Awana (as a former Sparks leader), the children seldom looked up verses in their Bible and read them--too few of them could actually read, or could not read well enough/loud enough for a large group to hear if during devotion time. During memory time, the children use their handbooks, with a pre-printed version. I'd go with the Bible you like best and would also use outside Awana, and not worry about confusion.

I wasn't going to have him read it, I was going to read it to him, so that he associated verses with the Bible.

I wasn't going to have him read it, I was going to read it to him, so that he associated verses with the Bible.

If this is your plan, I'd go with the version that matches his handbook. I think it would be less confusing for a younger one. And you won't get any, "That's not the way we said it at Awana."

I just read a blog post about the Veggie Tales NIV bible. The woman didn't like the words used for some of the adult themes. She preferred more of the KJV words that are a little more vague (harlot, seed, etc.) I guess she expected a kid's bible to not have those words but it is the NIV so that's what she got.

So, if that may be an issue for you, check out those verses in the NIV.

What is the difference between "harlot" and "prostitute" and why is "harlot" better?

Edited by Sis

I just went through this. Awana uses KJV and our church uses NIV, mostly, but sometimes other versions, but I've never heard KJV at our church. I decided to go with NIV. I do read the verses in context for him, sometimes changing the one verse to KJV for him to memorize. Does that make sense? Since our church does not use KJV, I wanted something that he could use at our church.

Awana uses KJV

Just for general info, a particular Awana club may choose to use only one version, but Awana materials are available in KJV, NKJV, and NIV. Our club allows the parent to choose which version when they're signing up their kids. Except for Cubbies--they're expected to use NIV.

Our Awana defaults to the NKJV, although you can request NIV if you prefer. We got our 5-year-old a Living Bible because we liked the extras (Adventure Bible), but I really wish we had gone with the NIrV. She loves reading her Bible, and the NIrV would have been much more understandable.