Menu

Possibly touchy question about Apologia Biology

Is this course enough for a high school credit? My son (9th grade) is finishing his lessons in about half an hour per day. Labs take a little longer, of course. He's on the fourth module and has yet to need to deliberately study for the tests. He doesn't think it is much more rigorous than General Science, which he did in 8th grade.

Should I do something to beef this up? Or can I let this be an easy "A" for him? I was under the impression that a one-credit course should take about an hour per day. Can we adjust that for fast readers?

He's not very interested in Biology, so I think he's glad this course is easy. He's studying science-y subjects in his spare time; his current stack of library books include works on aerospace, string theory, chemistry, and geology.

I'm guessing we'll need something other than Apologia for Chemistry and Physics, because he is very interested in those.

Thoughts?

OH my gosh!!! How is he spending so little time!!!!!! My son had to go back and reread module 3 because he blew it all. He wasn't ready for the test. He doesn't understand all of the pictures and then this chapter has I think 30 terms or more to memorize plus all of those pictures of the protista he has to memorize. You son must have a photographic memory if he is honestly able to read all of module 3, do the entire study guide and study for a test in 30 minutes a day!!!!!!!!!!

Christine

Is this course enough for a high school credit? My son (9th grade) is finishing his lessons in about half an hour per day. Labs take a little longer, of course. He's on the fourth module and has yet to need to deliberately study for the tests. He doesn't think it is much more rigorous than General Science, which he did in 8th grade.

Should I do something to beef this up? Or can I let this be an easy "A" for him? I was under the impression that a one-credit course should take about an hour per day. Can we adjust that for fast readers?

He's not very interested in Biology, so I think he's glad this course is easy. He's studying science-y subjects in his spare time; his current stack of library books include works on aerospace, string theory, chemistry, and geology.

I'm guessing we'll need something other than Apologia for Chemistry and Physics, because he is very interested in those.

Thoughts?

Now my oldest didn't have nearly as hard a time, but even he took more than 30 minutes. For your child I guess you might think of having him do Apologia Chem and advanced chem in one year with doing a module a week. We have a really hard time doing more than a module in 2 weeks here.

Christine

Thoughts?

Youngest (my ps guy) compared the two for me last year since he took Bio at ps with one of our best teachers. He said Apologia was the better, more in-depth book (compared to Glencoe). Apologia also did more labs than he did in ps. Therefore, I have no issues with Apologia being a high school credit.

That said, since this is my bio loving guy I bought him Campbell's "Biology" book (the one recommended for AP classes) for this year (outside of ps) and he's loving reading that. If you want to step up, consider going with the AP book and following it up with the AP test (you can't call it an AP course without permission, but you can take the AP test without permission). Get a study guide for the AP test prior to taking it just to be certain you've covered all the bases.

if he is a fast reader and quick learner.... it is still doing a year long text, so it's a credit. time of day is one way to measure. but not the only way.

Here is a bit more on that....

http://www.hslda.org/highschool/docs/EvaluatingCredits.asp

however, If you want, you can beef it up and do both the regular bio and advanced bio in one year with the DIVE syllabus and materials. here....

http://www.diveintomath.com/clipart/7616AuWn.pdf

or other supplements that you'd prefer to use.

-crystal

Wow! That's quick. Are you requiring formal lab reports also? We use redwagontutorials for Apologia sciences and my son took the Honors Biology last year and it was quite a bit of work. Really quite a bit. My daughter did general science and it was a lot as well. Perhaps it is because Mr. R adds in more, but there is no way that either of mine could have finished in 30 minutes a day, not with doing all of the labs, OYO's, Study guides etc.... and watching the multimedia presentations on the cd. I couldn't do it and I was a science major. Is he truly doing ALL of the work? Complete sentences, good understanding? Keeping a detailed lab notebook? Does he use the bookextras site to explore more in depth? Also, there are some recommended books for reading from the Apologia website for student who desire more or who need more of a challenge.

For what it's worth, we have only used apologia and my son scored in the 99th percentile in science on the standardized tests.

Sandra

OH my gosh!!! How is he spending so little time!!!!!! My son had to go back and reread module 3 because he blew it all. He wasn't ready for the test. He doesn't understand all of the pictures and then this chapter has I think 30 terms or more to memorize plus all of those pictures of the protista he has to memorize. You son must have a photographic memory if he is honestly able to read all of module 3, do the entire study guide and study for a test in 30 minutes a day!!!!!!!!!!

Christine

Well, I'm sure you agree that kids are all so different! Book learning has always come very easily to my son. I'm not quite sure how his mind operates, actually.

Youngest (my ps guy) compared the two for me last year since he took Bio at ps with one of our best teachers. He said Apologia was the better, more in-depth book (compared to Glencoe). Apologia also did more labs than he did in ps. Therefore, I have no issues with Apologia being a high school credit.

That said, since this is my bio loving guy I bought him Campbell's "Biology" book (the one recommended for AP classes) for this year (outside of ps) and he's loving reading that. If you want to step up, consider going with the AP book and following it up with the AP test (you can't call it an AP course without permission, but you can take the AP test without permission). Get a study guide for the AP test prior to taking it just to be certain you've covered all the bases.

Thank you for the opinion on Apologia vs. Glencoe. That is very helpful. I think it is probably OK for some of his courses to feel lightweight to him, as long as they really do satisfy the requirement. We'll probably both be happier if he digs deeper into the subjects that he cares about rather than having him go full bore for everything just because he can.

At least that's the theory I'm working with today. :lol: So much to learn!

I don't think he wants to make the extra moves to go AP, but I went to find the Campbell Biology book anyway so we can think it over. Is this it?

I definitely don't know as much about AP courses for homeschoolers as I should. I'll add that to my research list.

if he is a fast reader and quick learner.... it is still doing a year long text, so it's a credit. time of day is one way to measure. but not the only way.

Here is a bit more on that....

http://www.hslda.org/highschool/docs/EvaluatingCredits.asp

however, If you want, you can beef it up and do both the regular bio and advanced bio in one year with the DIVE syllabus and materials. here....

http://www.diveintomath.com/clipart/7616AuWn.pdf

or other supplements that you'd prefer to use.

-crystal

Thank you! I hadn't seen that link about evaluating credits. Also thank you for suggesting the advanced bio + DIVE option. Now I have two choices for ds to beef up this course and possibly prepare for the AP test if we decide we should do that.

Thank you all very, very much!

Wow! That's quick. Are you requiring formal lab reports also? We use redwagontutorials for Apologia sciences and my son took the Honors Biology last year and it was quite a bit of work. Really quite a bit. My daughter did general science and it was a lot as well. Perhaps it is because Mr. R adds in more, but there is no way that either of mine could have finished in 30 minutes a day, not with doing all of the labs, OYO's, Study guides etc.... and watching the multimedia presentations on the cd. I couldn't do it and I was a science major. Is he truly doing ALL of the work? Complete sentences, good understanding? Keeping a detailed lab notebook? Does he use the bookextras site to explore more in depth? Also, there are some recommended books for reading from the Apologia website for student who desire more or who need more of a challenge.

For what it's worth, we have only used apologia and my son scored in the 99th percentile in science on the standardized tests.

Sandra

Well, yes he does it all. He does the labs, on-your-owns, vocabulary on flash cards, study guides and summaries, and very precise lab reports. DH insists on excellent lab reports. He never misses a question on the study guide, and he aces the tests.

He hasn't used the bookextras site or done the extra recommended reading.

I think this is going well for him because he was interested in Biology when he was 8 and he did the old Sonlight Science 3 at that time. It included John Holzmann's Biology textbook, and my son practically memorized that at age 8. He carried it everywhere! His third grade science curriculum also included the first two volumes of Lyrical Life Science. My son memorized almost all of those songs and played them on his guitar. Between Holzmann's Biology and Lyrical Life Science, that's an awful lot of Biology facts crammed into his mind at the moment he was interested.

Honestly, I do it by what is completed not by how long it took. For example, my oldest loves Chalkdust math. He generally watches the video and does ALL of the odd problems in 1 day. He typically completes a Chalkdust textbook by March for sure. Some years he has finished in Feb. I have him do some other math like SAT math or last year he had AP Stats which kept up the math skills. But I see no reason to penalize him because he can do a section in 1 day. It takes my middle child 3 days to do a section in Chalkdust and that is only doing some of the odd problems.

Christine

I don't think he wants to make the extra moves to go AP, but I went to find the Campbell Biology book anyway so we can think it over. Is this it?

Yes, that's it except that I bought the 7th edition in order to save $$. ;) It's not THAT old. They just update editions fairly often to make more money off college students IMO.

My son was like this with Apologia Biology last year, although we did add in the redwagon tutorials for more depth (and the alternate tests add more essay questions which I really like!). Ds aced all the tests and did all labs, as well as 4 formal lab reports (more like research papers). Ds finished Apologia Biology in March last year, so we went ahead and started Apologia Chemistry (again, using the redwagon tutorials). Chemistry is not quite as easy as biology, but ds is doing well (still acing all the tests). I plan to start the next chemistry book when he is finished (he should finish around the end of February). Some kids just retain the information better. Ds can memorize like crazy!! So because memorizing is so easy, he can spend more time synthesizing the information. So, yes, you can count it as a credit. And then you could move onto another science or the advanced biology book (which contains all of the anatomy).

Ultimately, your ds will have more time for upper level sciences, which is a good thing :D.

I think it is always wise to consider how long it takes a student to complete the work but within the context of the student's natural aptitudes. My kids are ALL science talented. It comes very, very easily to them. DS is in Campbell's and we do labs and he does some (not all, I pick and choose the ones I think have the most educational value) of the online activities, keeps a detailed lab notebook, etc. The reality is that though it is an AP book, he can do it all in less than an hr. most days unless the lab is really extensive. He is talented in biological sciences, has an excellent memory, and reads at about 1000 words per minute with near perfect comprehension. I would not dream of witholding high school credit because the subject is easy for him.

When dd was in Apologia biology, she never took more than 30 minutes per day and kept a 95% average. Literature and history were the only subjects that slowed her down.

My middle boy rarely takes more than 30 -35 minutes per day to complete 40-50 algebra problems including difficult word problems. Math just comes so easily to him. Even if it only takes him a semester to complete the Lial's Introductory Algebra (algebra 1), he'll still receive a full credit. I don't believe in punishing a child for not struggling with the material. I'm more than willing to let them fly through, so long as they are getting it and completing the necessary work; I let them move on. There are LOTS of amazing college texts out there I can use to fill out high school while we wait for their emotional maturity to catch up so they'll be successful at university.

Same middle boy is in Apologia physical science and wants desperately to be promoted to biology so he can push through and have a year with a college zoology book I found. He's in module six (out of 16) and plans to be through module 9 by the end of the month. I'm sure he'll be ready for the Campbell book by January. His lowest test grade is 96% and his lab notebook is high quality...(We don't do the Apologia labs because our family has been rigorously pursuing science since the kids were little, many of the labs they encounter in Apologia General Science through Biology are similar to ones they've already completed in years past. It's a pain because dh and I have to come up with new ones. It's a nice pain though.:001_smile:)

So, again, I wouldn't worry about it. If the content and difficulty of tests is commensurate with an appropriate high school biology class or an introductory college biology text (especially a general biology class for non-science majors as opposed to biology for pre-med/pre-vet/pre-pharm/biology majors) then everything is fine as long as labs are being completed and the quality of lab notes does not suffer.

Faith

Thoughts?

ER has a photographic memory, so he had a fairly easy time with Apologia Biology, but he still spent a bit more that 30 minutes on it each day--more like 45 minutes per day most days. He didn't have to do much studying to prepare for tests, and still wound up with a high A average for the year. But even he--like most people--was slowed down a bit by Module 6.

Edited by ereks mom

When dd was in Apologia biology, she never took more than 30 minutes per day and kept a 95% average. Literature and history were the only subjects that slowed her down.

Faith

Grin.. the boy that is finding Biology impossible easily reads our novels in a day or two.... REads my college lit textbooks for fun and LOVES history. Math and science...not so much and they take him FOREVER!!!

Sure, as you see in this thread not every student skims along and does well in this course. Your son is blessed not to need to study the material to do well. If he was in a public or private school, he might have a similar experience, he'd still earn the credit and get the A.

Thoughts?

I would let him have this as his easy course. He is working with a High School level book and passing and he is pursuing other science interests along the way. I am not sure why people think subjects need to be hard and time consuming. If he was in college he would get the credit no matter how long he spent on the course as long as he passed his tests (and other required work). Of course if he is expressing a desire for a more harder class or more details on the subject of Biology then I would look for a supplemental book or changing the main book...if not, then let him enjoy the easy course.

Well, yes he does it all. He does the labs, on-your-owns, vocabulary on flash cards, study guides and summaries, and very precise lab reports. DH insists on excellent lab reports. He never misses a question on the study guide, and he aces the tests.

He hasn't used the bookextras site or done the extra recommended reading.

I think this is going well for him because he was interested in Biology when he was 8 and he did the old Sonlight Science 3 at that time. It included John Holzmann's Biology textbook, and my son practically memorized that at age 8. He carried it everywhere! His third grade science curriculum also included the first two volumes of Lyrical Life Science. My son memorized almost all of those songs and played them on his guitar. Between Holzmann's Biology and Lyrical Life Science, that's an awful lot of Biology facts crammed into his mind at the moment he was interested.

Honestly, I'd just double up and have him complete Bio and Advanced Bio this year. 30 minutes a day he could change to an hour and do both books!

then with a little extra study from an ap prep book, he could take the ap exam, or study a clep and take the clep exam.

Just my 2 cents.

Sandra