Menu

How long have I been hs'ing?

I started in '05, I know that for sure. That should be easy math.

We started oldest that year in K. He's in 5th grade now, & we spread 3rd over 2 yrs--still moving ahead in the basics, but taking an extra year for SOTW. Mainly because I'd started him at 4yo (winter bday), & I realized I could always let him go early at the end, but I could hardly convince him to stay home an extra year. I wanted to keep my options open.

So 5th g + K = 6yrs. 2011-2005 = 6 yrs. Where did the extra year of 3rd grade go? Do I need a poll? :lol:

And as long as we're at it, when do I earn my veteran hs'er star? Do I have to graduate one, or can I have it sooner? Do I get to add years that I was hs'd to earn the badge?

Apparently, hormones make me unable to add & deeply covetous of gold stars. And pb cookies. :lol:

5th grade will end in 2012....that makes 7 yrs.

2005-2006 k

2006-2007 1st #3 was born in May

2007-2008 2nd #4 was born in Aug...

2008-2010 3rd Aha! You skipped '09! Oh...no...you included it...oh, I see.

2010-2011 4th

2011-2012 5th

You have been homeschooling 6 years. When you finish 5th it will be 7.;)

But where's the extra year of 3rd grade? I don't think I dreamed it...

Ok. Got it. Six years. When you can't count to six, people start to wonder if you should be hs'ing. :001_huh:

I ask myself those questions all the time.

One thing I have to remember --- we school more or less year round, no clear "start in September, end in May, that's one school year" schedule. It's seriously messed me up, because sometimes a year started and ended and the next one began before a calendar year was over. So, maybe we schooled PreK in March to August of '01, then went right to K from Aug to whenever (April?), then 1st grade in June to Feb, and then 2nd grade from April to December, and so forth & so on.

So, my calendar years and my grade levels have never matched up well. Like you, we started early, slowed down in the middle (3rd grade here too!), etc. and I only hold in my head the fact we first ordered a curriculum in March 2001. And my oldest is an 8th grader right now. And I have no idea then how long we hs'ed, because 2001 was PreK, he also did 2 yrs of 3rd grade (slowing him back down to his age/grade), and we just did a non-year between 7th and 8th because we're trying to switch over to a US, Sep to May schedule after all so we're all lined up for high school.

I don't even have pregnancy hormones to blame it on......quick, find me an excuse for not being able to count.... ;)

I started in '05, I know that for sure. That should be easy math.

We started oldest that year in K. He's in 5th grade now, & we spread 3rd over 2 yrs--still moving ahead in the basics, but taking an extra year for SOTW. Mainly because I'd started him at 4yo (winter bday), & I realized I could always let him go early at the end, but I could hardly convince him to stay home an extra year. I wanted to keep my options open.

So 5th g + K = 6yrs. 2011-2005 = 6 yrs. Where did the extra year of 3rd grade go? Do I need a poll? :lol:

And as long as we're at it, when do I earn my veteran hs'er star? Do I have to graduate one, or can I have it sooner? Do I get to add years that I was hs'd to earn the badge?

Apparently, hormones make me unable to add & deeply covetous of gold stars. And pb cookies. :lol:

So when you were here in 2001 did you have children? Was your oldest born yet?

We started homeschooling in first grade, makes it easy to count the years of homeschooling. We're in our 8th year, 8th grade. But to determine the year we started I had to do backwards math. :lol:

My first question on stuff like that is, where were we living at the time.

I have an excellent memory, but for the life of me I can't remember how old our cat is. :lol:We got one cat, but he was a pain. We took him back to my mom's and exchanged for another kitten. I have no clue what year that was. I know my dog's exact birthdate though.

So when you were here in 2001 did you have children? Was your oldest born yet?

I lurked a little bit in the early 2000s when my oldest was very small. I didn't know people joined before they were really hs'ing, & I was too embarrassed to post anything. I'd read WTM twice & spent 10 years or more outlining how I wanted to hs, & I wanted nothing more than to be friends w/ some hs'ing mamas, but...I started actually posting...in 2005.

I couldn't figure out the old boards well enough to post & follow a thread at first, but some local WTM'ers had a park day & posted it to the WTM Yahoo group, which I was on. After talking to them for a few hrs, I gave the old boards another try. And that's what happened to the next six years of my life. :lol: