Menu

What would you do--reading question

LAmom

My dd is 7.5 and loves to read. She constantly is reading and goes rather quickly through books (always wondered if she was reading it all). Anyways, I have neglected having her read aloud to me and this school year started a little more. She seems to stumble and trip over a lot of words (bigger ones). She says she just skips words in books that she can't read.

Do I have her just read aloud more to me or should I implement a reading program like CLE or R&S or ______?

Does she have word attack skills (phonics)? If she does, I would have her read aloud regularly, and sound out the words as she comes across them. I still have my 10yo read aloud regularly, although not as often as my 7yo.

If she learned to read sight words, I would find a way to teach phonics. My oldest dd, who pretty much taught herself to read, eventually learned many rules through her spelling program.

I find this too with my 7.5 ds. He reads well and reads a lot on his own but when he reads out loud to me he reads very choppy and misses some words. He knows how to sound out words but his fluency was a struggle and he would skip words a lot. Now I actually have him read out loud to me every day (just a few pages - but every day). What I started doing was giving him a book at bedtime (each night I read to them and then they get 30 minutes of independant reading time) to read and then having him read that same book to me the next day. He would get a lot more read on his own at night - I would just have him read a few pages of it to me the next day. I really found that by doing this his fluency has really improved and he is more motivated to try to sound out words when he is reading on his own becuase he knows he will have to read it to me the next day (and wants to avoid me stopping him and having him try to read it again.

I nnoticed same thing about my eight yr old. His comprehension wasn't the greatest, so I had him read aloud to me, that's when I observed him skipping words, lines and just humbling a word that was too hard. It all has improved since I have been making him read aloud again.

I find this too with my 7.5 ds. He reads well and reads a lot on his own but when he reads out loud to me he reads very choppy and misses some words. He knows how to sound out words but his fluency was a struggle and he would skip words a lot. Now I actually have him read out loud to me every day (just a few pages - but every day). What I started doing was giving him a book at bedtime (each night I read to them and then they get 30 minutes of independant reading time) to read and then having him read that same book to me the next day. He would get a lot more read on his own at night - I would just have him read a few pages of it to me the next day. I really found that by doing this his fluency has really improved and he is more motivated to try to sound out words when he is reading on his own becuase he knows he will have to read it to me the next day (and wants to avoid me stopping him and having him try to read it again.

I like this! :thumbup: Am adding this to my list right now. I'm so new at this, and I'm always gleaning ideas from this board.

I would work on the phonics with something that includes syllable division and teaches all the phonics you need to be able to sound out any word.

You can try a quick review of the things linked at the end of my how to tutor page, reading and spelling just a few words of each type that are easy, but doing all if there is a problem. I would be sure to do all the syllable division exercises, and also some nonsense words with my phonics concentration game.

The new version of Phonics Pathways has syllable division work and spelling rules. Also, Megawords has syllable work. (You need to start with Megawords one, this is where the syllable division starts, they cover things in book 1 that are not in later books.)

Also, I like Marcia Henry's Words, it combines phonics, spelling, and root study with syllable division.

I would keep having her read aloud and make sure she learns to stop skipping words, it is important to emphasize sounding out every word from left to right without skipping or guessing.

Thanks everyone! I guess I will have her read more to me aloud and take a peak at my Phonics Pathways book (using it with ds right now). See if we could pick up some phonics review. She only did MFW 1st phonics and since she did so well, etc., I didn't do phonics in 2nd grade. I guess I didn't think it was needed?

Thanks everyone! I guess I will have her read more to me aloud and take a peak at my Phonics Pathways book (using it with ds right now). See if we could pick up some phonics review. She only did MFW 1st phonics and since she did so well, etc., I didn't do phonics in 2nd grade. I guess I didn't think it was needed?

It's needed until they can sound out anything easily.

Reading is such a foundational skill, it's important to make sure it's fully learned. You can teach phonics to a 12th grade level when you add in syllables and schwa.

Phonics Pathways teaches to about a 4th grade level. You want to continue past that with something like Megawords or Marcia Henry's words or my syllable division exercises and Webster's Speller. PP is a great place to start finishing up with phonics instruction. You can then cover the rest through your spelling program.

It's needed until they can sound out anything easily.

Reading is such a foundational skill, it's important to make sure it's fully learned. You can teach phonics to a 12th grade level when you add in syllables and schwa.

Phonics Pathways teaches to about a 4th grade level. You want to continue past that with something like Megawords or Marcia Henry's words or my syllable division exercises and Webster's Speller. PP is a great place to start finishing up with phonics instruction. You can then cover the rest through your spelling program.

I checked out Megawords. What grade is this intended for? Looks very helpful. It is just a phonics program? Not spelling, etc, right?

I checked out Megawords. What grade is this intended for? Looks very helpful. It is just a phonics program? Not spelling, etc, right?

Megawords is intended mainly for spelling. But, the syllable work is also helpful for reading. I would guess maybe 2nd to 4th grade level for the first book. The book states grades 4 - 12, but someone taught with phonics can start the first book sooner.

Reading aloud takes a lot of practice. My 6 year old reads his grammar lesson to me daily. This in his independent reading level. When I read him a book in his instructional level, I have him read the first paragraph of each chapter, sometimes two. He also does musicals, he reads aloud from a script regularly.

Daily practice leads to fluidity and eventually, story telling abilities. Mix it up with the level. You will get more personality in reading an easy book and mote struggle with a hard book. Both are important to developing read aloud skills. This also helps with public speaking.