Menu

Does this quote sound reasonable?

We just had new cabinets put in, and need to have our laminate flooring extended to fit the new measurments of the cabinets (there's an inch to two inch gap between where the new cabinets end and the flooring ends.)

There are 5 boards that will need to be changed out for longer boards, and the first quote we've gotten was $150 for the first board, plus $50 for each additional board.

Is this typical? I'm DH is grumbling that it's all a racket. :tongue_smilie:

(and this is just our first quote, we'll be getting at least one more tomorrow)

I have no idea if they are trying to scam you, but at that price, I'd get quotes from multiple people. Or maybe you have some handy friends that have put in a laminate floor and you can work on it together? Or maybe you could put in a bigger piece of moulding near the floor to cover it up without needing more flooring?

We're looking into a quote for a handiman now. This isn't just *installing* flooring, it's removing boards from above other boards, and because they're interlocking it's a bit tricky to do (from what I've read online). I was expecting it to be high, but not THAT high.

And yes, this is through a flooring company, the same one we bought the floors from 6 years ago.

We just had new cabinets put in, and need to have our laminate flooring extended to fit the new measurments of the cabinets (there's an inch to two inch gap between where the new cabinets end and the flooring ends.)

There are 5 boards that will need to be changed out for longer boards, and the first quote we've gotten was $150 for the first board, plus $50 for each additional board.

Is this typical? I'm DH is grumbling that it's all a racket. :tongue_smilie:

(and this is just our first quote, we'll be getting at least one more tomorrow)

I have something similar that needs to be done... I'd be happy if it's that low. I've put off getting quotes out of fear of the price.

)

do you have the laminate, or do they have to match it? get more bids.

Around here, getting someone to come out for a small job costs nearly as much as a larger one. I usually look for a reasonably priced handyman (here, $50 per hour) and then batch my jobs to come up with the customary 4 hour minimum. Could you put this repair together with some other things--replace light fixtures, faucets, etc. and perhaps at least get more work done for the same money?

The price sounds a little high, but not too reasonable to me. They will have to take up boards and do a lot of cutting and adjusting to make sure that you don't have a weird line showing where the flooring used to end. You have to be really careful with the laminate to make sure you don't damage it when doing adjustments like that. If you were happy with their initial job, then you should just go ahead and have them do it, IMO.