Menu

Car insurance, son, girlfriend, oy....

So ds and girlfriend would like to buy a car together (not married). If ds is still on our insurance and his gf either on her parents on her own, how does insurance work when two people own a car together but are not married?

Do they both get separate policies and if one or the other causes an accident, that person's insurance pays???

Hoping there is an (undercover ;)) agent on this board who is willing to tell me the truth gently.

I am too afraid to call my insurance and send up red flags. I hate dealing with insurance of any kind because I always feel I am being taken to the cleaners. :glare:

That's a situation that's going to need a LOT of paperwork and signed agreements. Notarized. Witnessed. I know they're feeling very loving toward each other right now ("and will forever and ever and ever and ever").

But if they don't - you need some plan in place for who gets the car if they break up, or do they sell it, or can one party buy the other out of his/her share....

And yeah - boy needs his own insurance.

Gently asking. If he's buying a car, why isn't he getting his own insurance?

He was a student and was on our policy with his old truck which now has died a sudden death. He has a job and will now likely have to get his own insurance. I am wondering how the coverage would be working if two people are driving who are not on the same policy. I am also somewhat concerned about this co-ownership of a vehicle of two people who are not family. I have given him our rep's phone number...

So ds and girlfriend would like to buy a car together (not married). If ds is still on our insurance and his gf either on her parents on her own, how does insurance work when two people own a car together but are not married?

Do they both get separate policies and if one or the other causes an accident, that person's insurance pays???

Hoping there is an (undercover ;)) agent on this board who is willing to tell me the truth gently.

I am too afraid to call my insurance and send up red flags. I hate dealing with insurance of any kind because I always feel I am being taken to the cleaners. :glare:

Dh & I bought a car together before we got married. We insured it with dh's insurance company because my company quoted us higher rates. It was a joint policy with both of our names on it.

I would think that if the young people are at the level of commitment of buying a car together, they should have their own policy rather than being included on a parent's policy.

That's the best you can do. You can have other people on your policy without being married or even living together. They'll need to make arrangements about car ownership when they buy it. This is one of those areas where, if it were my son, I'd bite my lip and let him make his own choices. Of course, I'd probably suggest that we review the documents together before he signs them.

That's the best you can do. You can have other people on your policy without being married or even living together. They'll need to make arrangements about car ownership when they buy it. This is one of those areas where, if it were my son, I'd bite my lip and let him make his own choices. Of course, I'd probably suggest that we review the documents together before he signs them.

I am biting my lip...:001_smile:...he is 20, so it is his decision. Biting some more...

He was a student and was on our policy with his old truck which now has died a sudden death. He has a job and will now likely have to get his own insurance. I am wondering how the coverage would be working if two people are driving who are not on the same policy. I am also somewhat concerned about this co-ownership of a vehicle of two people who are not family. I have given him our rep's phone number...

Hubby and I were on a policy together before marriage. We paid a little higher premium because unmarried have a higher accident rate. I put him on my policy because when I was big and preggers, I rode in the back seat, not the front. I think I looked up stats on that once, and since MVA is a major cause of death in fetuses, I looked to trim my odds.

As for cars, I put each one in only one's name. If they trust each other that much, they should do that. Unless it is a loan they are taking together. Again, if one has enough credit, I'd still stick with one.

Perhaps they are playing grown up, and want everything "co". I remember doing that. :) I was never burned doing it either. I certainly had men fall out of love with me, but none ever ripped me off.