Menu

Book suggestions for 17y/o girl? (No sci-fi)...

I enjoyed some of the Brother Caedfel mysteries(I read 5 or so). Also the earlier Mrs. Pollifax books by Gilman. The Unexpected Mrs. Poillifax is the first one I think. My sons loved Three Men in a Boat and To Say Nothing of the Dog. To Say Nothing of the Dog is even more fun if you have read some Jeeves stories by Wodehouse(short stories), The Moonstone by Collins, and Three Men in a Boat by Jerome (I think there are some others as well, but these will do) That said, my husband and I enjoyed it without reading those first.

I recently read and liked The Housekeeper and the Professor.

Kendall

Gene Stratton Porter's novels : Girl of Limberlost, Freddie, Laddie, etc

Georgette Heyer's novels: Frederica, Regency Buck, The Grand Sophy, etc.

Francine River's novels : The Mark of the Lion series, Redeeming Love, etc

Catherine Marshall's novels like Julie, Christy, etc

My daughter likes all of the "Nerdfighter" authors: John Green, Libba Bray, Maureen Johnson. Some of Bray's stuff might be considered sci-fi, although it's more fantasy. (I'm thinking of the Gemma Doyle trilogy, specifically.)

A word of warning: I don't know how careful you are about content, but many of these books contain things that more conservative readers would find problematic. If that's a concern for you, please find some reviews and/or pre-read?

She also loves Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series, but those are probably too sci-fi and definitely not for everyone. If she's a classics fan, though, your daughter might like them. They take place in a world in which people can go into books, and there is a government agency devoted to making sure no one changes anything in important works of literature.

These are written for adults, and therefore might also contain "mature" content. It's been a while since I read any, and I can't remember off the top of my head.

is even more fun if you have read some Jeeves stories by Wodehouse(short stories)

Oh, yes! Wodehouse is a blast! My daughter likes those, too.

We don't need "classics" suggestions, as she has either already read them or knows of them. What do your teen girls read for fun? Thanks!

I've really been enjoying the Jane Austen mysteries from Stephanie Barron. The series has Jane Austen traveling around England with her family, encountering various murders. It's fun to try to catch the locations and people that are later used in Austen's stories.

The Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters is good.

I only have DSs, BUT... here are a few titles just for fun that I (a female ;) ) have enjoyed over the years:

MYSTERY

- Cadfael series (Ellis Peters)

- No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series (Smith)

- Picture Miss Seeton; Miss Seeton Draws the Line; Witch Miss Seeton; Miss Seeton Sings; Odds on Miss Seeton (Carvic) -- there are others by other authors, but they are NOT good

- Murder on the Orient Express (Christie)

- Hercule Poirot Casebook (Christie) -- short story collection

- Father Brown short stories (Chesterton)

- The Club of Queer Trades (Chesterton)

- Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries (Sayers)

- Roland March mysteries (Bertrand)

SPOOKY

- Something Wicked This Way Comes (Bradbury)

HUMOR

- Crocodile on the Sandbank (Elizabeth Peters) -- romance/mystery/historical setting; I thought the sequels were trashy, but this was fun and well-written

- books by PG Wodehouse

- My Family and Other Animals (Durrell)

- All Creatures Great and Small (and sequels) (Herriot)

- A Year in Provence (Mayle)

- Cheaper by the Dozen (Gilbraith)

- Uncle Boris in the Yukon (Pinkwater)

FANTASY

- Earthsea trilogy: Wizard of Earthsea; Tombs of Atuan; Farthest Shore (LeGuin) -- I do NOT recommend the the 4th book "Tehanu" to teens; mature themes

- The Hobbit (Tolkien)

- Lord of the Rings trilogy (Tolkien)

- Children of Hurin (Tolkien) -- tragic epic

- Farmer Giles of Ham; Smith of Wooten Major; Leaf by Niggle (Tolkien) -- short stories

- Aurelia's Colors; Cyndere's Midnight; Raven's Ladder; Aleboy's Feast (Overstreet)

- Watership Down (Adams)

- The Last Unicorn (Beagle)

MISC.

- Till We Have Faces (Lewis)

- The Man Who Was Thursday (Chesterton)

- Ben Hur (Wallace) -- I really enjoyed this as a teen!

- Christie (Marshall)

YOUNG ADULT

- Mara Daughter of the Nile (McGraw)

- Ella Enchanted (Levine)

- Rumplestiltskin Problem (Velde)

- The Great Good Thing (Townley)

- The Hero and the Crown; The Blue Sword (McKinley) -- and others by this author

- Beauty (McKinley)

- The Great and Terrible Quest (Lovett)

- Camelot (Yolen) -- collection of short stories

- Howl's Moving Castle (Jones) -- and others by this author

- Alphabet of Thorn (McKillip) -- and others by this author

- The Changling Sea (McKillip)

- Dark is Rising series (Cooper) -- while ultimately I didn't "buy into" the author's worldview, these are creative and well-written

- Below the Root; And All Between; Until the Celebration (Snyder) -- again, I didn't "buy into" the author's worldview, and the third book is flat and unsatisfying; but a very creative world

- Circus Sequins (Friermood) -- OOP teen romance/adventure I remember enjoying many MANY years ago

Edited by Lori D.

Guest AlligatorQueen

I love the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead. It isn't the typical vampire book and there are six or seven with more coming out every year.