Menu

Verdict in: VERY happy with our soaking grain/bread making experiment

Cindy, when she says soak does she mean to mix up the ingredients and just pour the water over letting the dry ingredients soak up the water over the 12-24 hours, or am I supposed to stir the water in and then let it sit there?

Not Cindy, but you would include the whey or whatever acid you use; this is what starts breaking down the flour in a good way. (ETA -- just looked at the recipe; everything in step 1, including the acid medium).

Not Cindy, but you would include the whey or whatever acid you use; this is what starts breaking down the flour in a good way. (ETA -- just looked at the recipe; everything in step 1, including the acid medium).

Do you just pour the water over it and let it seep in on its own, or do you stir it and then let it sit?

Yep. Just stir up the ingredients that she lists (no extras) and let it sit. I mixed it up in my mixer, covered it, and let it sit over night. Also, I don't have any dough enhancer or lecithin. It's listed as optional, so I didn't worry about it. I do have flax seeds, so I put those in. But I didn't have any sunflower seeds on hand, so I just skipped those. The texture and flavor are better than any other recipe I've tried. It's a winner for us!

My daughter, Sara Maria, who is a freshman in college, is struggling to find healthy food in the cafeteria. She's stocking her fridge with Greek yogurt, salad stuff, and buying dried fruit. Anyway, we'll see her this weekend for the first time since we dropped her off and she's asked me to PLEASE bring her bread. She just about did cartwheels when I told her I'd try to bring a blender for her so that she can make smooothies in her room. :)

Do you just pour the water over it and let it seep in on its own, or do you stir it and then let it sit?

[smacks head.] I must score in the -32% or so when it comes to reading comprehension, musn't I? :tongue_smilie: Sorry, Kathleen.

Cindy, are you able to make this recipe in a Bosch type/sized mixer? One of the comments made it sound like it was too huge of a recipe for that, but it doesn't seem any bigger than my regular 5-loaf recipe.

[smacks head.] I must score in the -32% or so when it comes to reading comprehension, musn't I? :tongue_smilie: Sorry, Kathleen.

Cindy, are you able to make this recipe in a Bosch type/sized mixer? One of the comments made it sound like it was too huge of a recipe for that, but it doesn't seem any bigger than my regular 5-loaf recipe.

I can't imagine that it's too big for a Bosch. I have an Electrolux and I have put twice this amount in to make 8 loaves of bread. This recipe makes four. I'm sure the Bosch can handle it.

My husband and I are making this recipe tonight (well, starting it). We have had the worst luck with freshly ground wheat bread. We have a grinder, and have tried about 7 different recipes multiple times. Hope number 8 works! It does sound promising.

Oh, I hope it does! Follow the directions EXACTLY and let me know how it comes out. Our family is LOVING it.

'Tis quite all right, Milovany. I'm pretty sure I've done that countless times on these boards. Thanks for trying to answer my question. That matters, too.:)

Oh we love our soaked grains. We soak all our grains for everything. So, so good. And the corn bread we make after soaking freshly ground corn overnight in buttermilk is to die for. Of course, it always helps to add in a little extra honey to the batter. So yummy.

Thanks for sharing that recipe. One we'll have to try.

Oh we love our soaked grains. We soak all our grains for everything. So, so good. And the corn bread we make after soaking freshly ground corn overnight in buttermilk is to die for. Of course, it always helps to add in a little extra honey to the batter. So yummy.

Thanks for sharing that recipe. One we'll have to try.

Can you share your recipe for cornbread?:)

• 1 month later...
Oh, I hope it does! Follow the directions EXACTLY and let me know how it comes out. Our family is LOVING it.

It turned out ok but not great on the first try. We've seriously tried 8 or 9 homeground wheat bread recipes, and none of them worked. But this last week my husband realized that measuring our flour by the cup rather than by weight might be causing our density issues. So we tried that instead, and the bread turned out delicious! My husband just finished making his third loaf of this bread and all three have been beautiful and tasty. Thank you for sharing the recipe with me! It's a keeper!

ETA: I know this is a month later, but I still wanted to share.

Edited by MeaganS