Menu

Anyone use an IPAD with homeschooling ?

jam4him

I use the ipad app Penultimate as a dry and erase marker board. The ipad can be connected to a large tv screen and viewed that way. I love Daily Notes and made tabs that include our daily, even/odd, weekday, 1-31 memory tabs which organizes our Scripture, hymn, poetry, literature memory work. The entire family can see our hymns of the day from the tv screen. I use a bluetooth keyboard and type things into the daily notes efficiently. The daily notes app is great for homeschool, housework, journals, etc. Khan academy has an algebra app for videos that can be downloaded and viewed offline. HomeRoutine is another app I looked at that was specifically designed to organize routines and cleaning zones flylady style...dailynotes is working for me right now. PDF expert is used here too for our free google Latin book (can be viewed as a group using the tv screen) and Math Mammoth. i also love my timer app that allows multiple timers. I saw an app called ReadMore that organizes reading plans. My favorite app of course is iBooks. We love that we can use the apps offline (we don't have internet connected at home) and still stay organized.

no...the stylus is to replace your finger. The tip is a special material that acts like a current from your finger. The surface of the iPad is designed to ignore "stray points" and a pointed stylus would just look like a stray point. Your finger on the other hand has multiple points which it needs for the screen to recognize it. The Boxwave stylus seems to work the best (IMHO). I like that the tip is more rubber...the cheap ones use foam.

If you notice, Apple does not manufacturer a stylus. :)

Here is a pointy stylus. The reviews are horrible though. I have a few different styluses and they all have different points of sensitivity and some are better than others.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032J1NM0?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1

If I were to buy the $499 iPad that only has 16GB, could I transfer some books/curricula and other items to my PC and vice versa whenever I need them again? Is it similar to the way iPod works with iTunes where I can remove some audiobooks from my iPod and leave them in iTunes until needed?

Do apps take a lot of space?

Basically, I don't want to buy the $499 iPad only to regret in a year that I should have spent an extra $100 to get the extra space, but if it's possible for me to transfer items back and forth, I would rather go with the cheapest iPad.

If I were to buy the $499 iPad that only has 16GB, could I transfer some books/curricula and other items to my PC and vice versa whenever I need them again? Is it similar to the way iPod works with iTunes where I can remove some audiobooks from my iPod and leave them in iTunes until needed?

Do apps take a lot of space?

Basically, I don't want to buy the $499 iPad only to regret in a year that I should have spent an extra $100 to get the extra space, but if it's possible for me to transfer items back and forth, I would rather go with the cheapest iPad.

In a few more days, they will release IOS5 which will include iCloud. iCloud will allow all your Apple devices to sync up without having to connect to a computer. It will also allow us virtual storage place so that we won't need the iPad or iPhone with the bigger amount of storage.

In a few more days, they will release IOS5 which will include iCloud. iCloud will allow all your Apple devices to sync up without having to connect to a computer. It will also allow us virtual storage place so that we won't need the iPad or iPhone with the bigger amount of storage.

Thank you for this information. I'm really behind on this but are you saying that it's fine for me to buy the $499 this week then? :D

Thank you for this information. I'm really behind on this but are you saying that it's fine for me to buy the $499 this week then? :D

You should be fine with the 16 GB. I have a 16 GB for my children. They have a TON of apps (at least 6 pages) and it's not full yet.

Does anyone know if we will be able to use the Kindle Fire in a similar way? I know it won't have the apple apps., but it will have android apps. I like the price so much better on the Fire, and I definitely want to be able to read books on it.

If you just want to read books, surf the Internet, and don't care that you have a limited amount of apps on Android, the the Fire is a great idea.

We have 3 iPads in our house and I will definitely be buying the Fire on release. It looks great and is more compact for my purse. I don't like taking my iPad out though. It's too expensive and I'm just scared! Lol

Seriously - there aren't enough people paying for Android apps to make it worth while for developers to release a lot on that platform I'm afraid. You can read books on the iPad :).

We bought the 32 GB just to avoid switching so much back and forth, but I actually keep our app library on an external hard drive (all our iTunes files actually) so it doesn't take up all our hard drive space on the laptop.

I know several people who have one and on one has run out of space with the 16gb. You can transfer files back & forth to your computer and/or use the cloud options from amazon or apple when it comes out. I use the iPad for business & school stuff and have been downloading one app after another and haven't even put a dent in the storage space.

downloading one app after another and haven't even put a dent in the storage space.

Just educational apps? I wonder if there are any apps for me, rather than just for homeschooling purposes. And, I'm not even sure what apps I would be looking for.

One question for anyone here: Can we listen to audiobooks on the iPad if it's connected to speakers? I don't mean the Kindle voice where it's a robotic voice, but an audiobook in mp3 or mp4 format.

I haven't tried it but I'm pretty sure audiobooks would work. I downloaded mp3 files which iTunes converted & they work. There are plenty of apps I've downloaded that aren't for education. I've downloaded apps for tracking calories, recipes, taking notes, accessing my home computer remotely while I'm away from home, and tracking the financial markets. I will probably download apps for saving web articles to read later and many other things when I have time tondo a little more research. There are an unbelievable amount of apps in the app store to go through. Most of them have nothing to do with homeschool.

I wasn't sure what to look for either at first and just kind of searched and googled to get ideas and I'm finding new stuff daily. There is a "genius" tool you can turn on which suggests apps based on one's you have already downloaded.

Just educational apps? I wonder if there are any apps for me, rather than just for homeschooling purposes. And, I'm not even sure what apps I would be looking for.

One question for anyone here: Can we listen to audiobooks on the iPad if it's connected to speakers? I don't mean the Kindle voice where it's a robotic voice, but an audiobook in mp3 or mp4 format.

I LOVE my ipad. This thread has given me a ton of good ideas once my kids are bigger (and some for now lol). I use mine for myself constantly, and I'm pretty much "just" a sahm, although I do co-own a small business. Besides all the education apps for Preschook, PK and K I have the following:

-Mealboard (menu planning and grocery shopping)

-Pages (word processor)

-HomeRoutines (mentioned by a pp. Awesome for setting up routines in your home, very customizeable. My favorite)

-Homebudget (pretty self explanatory. One of the easiest to understand and use imho)

-textplus (free app to text while in wifi range (if you have wifi). If you don't have a cell phone, it's handy)

-corkulous (I'm very visual and this is really fantastic to lay out ideas, preplan routines, curriculum, goals, christmas, holidays, trips etc. It's basically a corkboard, things to remember like birthday lists or passwords, complete with post it notes and pins, as well as nesting or sub-corkboards)

-Daily yoga (like this one cause it's free and has a 20 minute morning routine)

I also have basics like the contact book, calendar, calculator, timer, alarm clock, ipod, and lots of ereaders: kindle, kobo, ibooks, etc.

The ipad is EXACTLY what I want/needed. I would use the computer as a planner and would be frustrated because I couldn't take it with me. I would use a book as a planner and would be frustrated cause it was hard to edit and was usually only a year long (unless I made my own). This is big enough to be easy to use as an ereader, for browsing and working, but small enough to fit in my (larger) purse. Use it every day!

Seriously - there aren't enough people paying for Android apps to make it worth while for developers to release a lot on that platform I'm afraid. You can read books on the iPad :).

We bought the 32 GB just to avoid switching so much back and forth, but I actually keep our app library on an external hard drive (all our iTunes files actually) so it doesn't take up all our hard drive space on the laptop.

This may be changing though since about 50% of mobile devices are on the android platform:D Plus there are a lot of android think pads as well. I like ipad but we just brought a android as well as android phones. They were cheaper;) The ipad is definitely appealing though:)

This may be changing though since about 50% of mobile devices are on the android platform:D Plus there are a lot of android think pads as well. I like ipad but we just brought a android as well as android phones. They were cheaper;) The ipad is definitely appealing though:)

That COULD be...

it just isn't what I'm hearing from developers though. Even if there are a lot of Android devices coming out, from what I've heard even the top 10-15% of paid apps on Android are only making $1000-$2000/year in sales, and 80% of them only make $100-$200. Some developers are doing well on free apps that are ad supported, but most educational apps aren't set up that way (and I don't want ads in my kids apps in any case!)

So I still vote iPad - more educational apps being developed :).

Just discovered iTunes university and I'm downloading a few free classes to see if we might be able to use some of them. It seems like every day I fond another cool thing available on my iPad. This is the happiest I've been with a technology purchase in a long time.

2 cool new apps we downloaded recently

Sat vocabulary from lucidity. There are 1000 free words and for .99 cents you can add 1000 more when you learn those. There is a flashcard mode that pronounces the word audibly and has a sentence on the card for proper usage. There's also a quiz mode. Dd6 thinks it's a game :001_smile:

College board official sat question of the day iPhone app.

*bumping up this thread and this thread for more awesome app/etc chatter*

We got our iPad2 the other day and are in the midst of figuring it out and setting up apps…I've snagged a few from this thread and have more to check out.

dd14 is nuts about this game called "The Impossible Game" …I tried it - haven't got the attention span for stuff like that…she'd play it for hours. :p