Menu

Scholastic... grr...

Farrar

On the one hand, I know I totally shouldn't complain about FREE cheap books. And none of the things I got with the deal and the $1 days offer were things that I absolutely felt like I had to have.

But on the other hand, despite the freeness, their cruddy, buggy site has pretty much guaranteed that I will never, ever order anything from them again - at least certainly not at full price. Certainly I can't be the only one who feels that way.

When I tried to download the first pdf, it just opened in my browser and I was like, huh? How do I save this? By the time I figured it out, the file had closed. Opening it twice more didn't get it to come up. And by then, all three of my "downloads" were gone. :thumbdown:

Now I'm trying to get other ones and I click on them, but only a couple of them actually open. Presumably each click, whether it opens or not, constitutes a "download" and I won't actually end up with most of these things. This is absurd, right? Why would I ever take the risk and buy from them after this experience? :confused: Why would anyone?

On the one hand, I know I totally shouldn't complain about FREE cheap books. And none of the things I got with the deal and the $1 days offer were things that I absolutely felt like I had to have.

But on the other hand, despite the freeness, their cruddy, buggy site has pretty much guaranteed that I will never, ever order anything from them again - at least certainly not at full price. Certainly I can't be the only one who feels that way.

When I tried to download the first pdf, it just opened in my browser and I was like, huh? How do I save this? By the time I figured it out, the file had closed. Opening it twice more didn't get it to come up. And by then, all three of my "downloads" were gone. :thumbdown:

Now I'm trying to get other ones and I click on them, but only a couple of them actually open. Presumably each click, whether it opens or not, constitutes a "download" and I won't actually end up with most of these things. This is absurd, right? Why would I ever take the risk and buy from them after this experience? :confused: Why would anyone?

Wow, I bought many books from them (too many :tongue_smilie:) but I had no problems with the downloads, other than when one book was downloading when they took their site down. I was fine on the second download though. We have already started using three of them and Adrian has been enjoying them on his "I am bored" times of the day. Hang in there! I would most definitely contact them to give you back the option of downloading again. The site was probably very busy when you tried. I would wait and download in the evening. I still feel it was money well spent. My son doesn't like when I call them school. He says they are his fun activities ;).

I had a horrible time getting mine to even download. I finally had to have someone else at a totally different area open them, save them and send them to me. It was a mess. The customer service still has yet to resolve the problem.

I was really not impressed at all.

On the ones you have downloads left, right click on the link and select "save target as". Save it to your drive.

I didn't have any problems but I knew how to save the .pdf file. It is a setting in your browser and not their site that causes it to pop open rather than prompting for a save.

I would email them and explain the problem. I'm sure they can reset the links for you.

I had no problems downloading and saving the 60-odd books I ordered (yeah, I know). :D I even have them sorted into subjects areas and categorized (e.g., Language Arts --> Grammar). It took me maybe 5-10 seconds per title to d/l and save. I have a very tech-savvy dh though who makes sure we have the latest and greatest programs running, and as we run a business from home we've got the super-powered internet stream. I'm sorry your experience was frustrating.

I'd give customer service a call or email (and keep bugging them) to get it resolved. I've had two friends who had some problems; one who said customer service solved their issue in less than 24 hours, one who said after 3 days she still hadn't heard back. As my first friend is one of those 'squeaky wheel gets the grease' people, that's why I suggest pestering (nicely) until resolved.

We too have already incorporated some of the materials into our homeschooling day, and my kids really like them.

I downloaded all mine with no problems. Do you have the newest adobe?

I also never open them up to save because the files are huge. I just right click and choose "save target." I do this with all pdf files. I really don't think it's their site, as I have the same problem when saving other pdf files if I try to open them first.

Oh, and Scholastic has always been so helpful when I've phoned. One time, my order didn't appear in my downloads, and the person took care of it immediately and stayed on the phone with me until it was fixed.

I had no problems downloading and saving the 60-odd books I ordered (yeah, I know). :D

I ended up with exactly 60 :D. OK, now I don't feel so bad :party:

ETA:

I even have them sorted into subjects areas and categorized (e.g., Language Arts --> Grammar).
...and did this too :).

On the ones you have downloads left, right click on the link and select "save target as". Save it to your drive.

I didn't have any problems but I knew how to save the .pdf file. It is a setting in your browser and not their site that causes it to pop open rather than prompting for a save.

I would email them and explain the problem. I'm sure they can reset the links for you.

:iagree:

Must be a Canadian thing. :tongue_smilie: (I'm in Calgary).

That was what I was thinking ;)! I even said that to my hubby. I remembered you from the thread where I was trying to post preview pages from the Donalda Dickie book, My First History of Canada :D but didn't know if you would mind my posting something referring to your location. We are in Lower Mainland, BC.

That was what I was thinking ;)! I even said that to my hubby. I remembered you from the thread where I was trying to post preview pages from the Donalda Dickie book, My First History of Canada :D but didn't know if you would mind my posting something referring to your location. We are in Lower Mainland, BC.

I lived in North Delta for about 4 years as a teen (we moved a LOT). 'Tis a lovely area, the Lower Mainland.

I lived in North Delta for about 4 years as a teen (we moved a LOT). 'Tis a lovely area, the Lower Mainland.

We are originally from Toronto but love it here. Different times, different needs/ likes. With a family, I prefer living here :D.

When dd was small 3-5 yrs I'd go to their book sales and found some good deals, but after that age group, most books are just tv series books and are a complete turnoff to me. Lots of twaddle, not worth even the cheapest price.

The Teacher Express section is totally different from the "Scholastic Book Sale" product section. These are teacher resources, not Arthur books ;).

I only ordered 10, but I didn't have any problems downloading them and saving them onto a flash drive. Of course, I did it at around 8am my time so all you Americans were sleeping. Maybe next year you need to get up at 2am when the site is slow and download then. :D

I had the same problem, with some how using all 3 of my downloads in the matter of a few seconds. I e-mailed them and within two days they sent me an additional download, and an e-mail explaining how to save downloads. By then my husband had already figured out how to save as a target! So definitely e-mail them!

Thanks, everyone. I did email, but I haven't heard back. And Chrome was the browser that was giving me trouble, so it seems strange to me that someone else had an easier time. To me, a link that says "DOWNLOAD PDF" should, you know, download and not open the pdf (or, try to in a blank window!) through the browser's quick pdf view, which can't always be saved. Saving target (which I also figured out) isn't intuitive to me these days - I think of that as an older way to do things. Oh well. Hopefully they'll reset the ones I didn't get.

I downloaded all mine with no problems. Do you have the newest adobe?

I also never open them up to save because the files are huge. I just right click and choose "save target." I do this with all pdf files. I really don't think it's their site, as I have the same problem when saving other pdf files if I try to open them first.

THANK YOU for this tip!!! I was having the exact same issues as the OP until I tried this! :thumbup: