Menu

Holding a child back a grade?

We recently had DS8 tested for a learning disability. He did not qualify, but he tested consistently just below average in every test. We had been thinking of holding him back a grade and now seems like the time. So instead of considering him 3rd grade, he would be 2nd.

He really is not doing any 3rd grade work, except math anyway. And I have decided to slow that way down and do lots of review so he can have mastery, since that is what was recommended. He will also get private reading tutoring in addition to what we are doing at home.

His maturity is more on par with a 2nd grader. He acts young for his age, so I think socially this will be better for him, as well. We are seriously considering putting our dc in school next year, so this issue becomes especially important.

In our state, we have to send a letter of intent (which identifies him as a 3rd grader) and do an eval/test at the end of the year. So how do I hold him back? Can I just give him the 2nd grade test at the end of this year? Do I send a letter to the district (our reporting agency) letting them know? Just looking for some BTDT advice. TIA!!

We recently had DS8 tested for a learning disability. He did not qualify, but he tested consistently just below average in every test. We had been thinking of holding him back a grade and now seems like the time. So instead of considering him 3rd grade, he would be 2nd.

He really is not doing any 3rd grade work, except math anyway. And I have decided to slow that way down and do lots of review so he can have mastery, since that is what was recommended. He will also get private reading tutoring in addition to what we are doing at home.

His maturity is more on par with a 2nd grader. He acts young for his age, so I think socially this will be better for him, as well. We are seriously considering putting our dc in school next year, so this issue becomes especially important.

In our state, we have to send a letter of intent (which identifies him as a 3rd grader) and do an eval/test at the end of the year. So how do I hold him back? Can I just give him the 2nd grade test at the end of this year? Do I send a letter to the district (our reporting agency) letting them know? Just looking for some BTDT advice. TIA!!

I wouldn't do it.

That he seems to be working below grade level *now* does not mean that he will always be working below grade level. And when he does catch up, then we'll be having the conversation about how you can move him ahead, except then it will be much messier.

Also, if you've had to list his grade level for the last three years, the district might give you grief over holding him back (or they might not; it's hard to know how closely those folks actually read the paperwork you take the trouble to fill out and submit :glare:).

I'd just leave him where he is, work on the things you've planned, and have this discussion with the school if you enroll him next year. Much could change in a year.

I did this for dd9 this year. Last year was 4th grade A. This year has become 4th grade B. But - I started dd in first grade when she was 5. This correction just allowed her to be with her age mates as well as allowing her time to catch up developmentally in a few areas. I had determined last year that we would be holding her back so we just gave her the 3rd grade test two years in a row. This year we'll give her the 4th grade test.

I'd just leave him where he is, work on the things you've planned, and have this discussion with the school if you enroll him next year. Much could change in a year.

I agree. You have a much better chance at getting him caught up to his school peers by homeschooling him because you can give him one-on-one attention and spend as much time on subjects as you need to. You cannot assume that because he is behind right now that he will be behind the same amount this time next year.

Will the school insist on testing him if you put him back in? My district does that. They wouldn't even look at the standardized test I had from just a few months earlier because we did it at home. They didn't care that it was graded by a test service. For all they knew, I was the one that bubbled in the answers.

I can see both sides. I did have my oldest son complete two years of kindergarten. It has been great for him and we believe that more maturity is better in grade school, middle school, high school, and entering college. He had some fine motor issues that needed extra work and the extra year cemented some other concepts for him.

Now he is a bright, above average child. He does the work he needs to do, and we are very happy with our decision. I don't think I would ever let him rush and "catch up."

I would try to determine the reaction of the school you are considering. That makes your choice a little more difficult.

Our thinking was- we expect our son to attend a college with a strong academic background, if at all possible. He was (as a young child) very verbal and we wanted the rest of his body to have time to match his intellectual

abilities. We could always challenge him more without harming his esteem, but it would be difficult to constantly make excuses and exceptions for him when he would understand.