Menu

in how large of a house...

is the problem clutter vs. lots of people?

I guess the real question is how many square feet per person before it is a clutter/organizing problem and not just a physical limitation problem.

How small of a house do you live in without a clutter problem?

For those who live in small houses with little kids, how did you train them to keep their things in check?

Emily

Gosh, I am sure people have lived in tiny spaces as far as square footage per person goes but it doesn't mean it will work for you today.

I would start at looking at space and thinking how can every spare inch (really inch!) be used as storage or for functionality.

While I am all for decluttering, every little one or not so little one should have some possessions/toys and a place for them be it ever so small. When I grew up, my bed and the space immediately above it was it but it was ever so treasured.

We once lived in a single wide 5th wheel and it was TIGHT. I only had one son so we were not so crammed that it was impossible but shelving and cubbies left, right, top and center was key.

Do you have an IKEA nearby? Walk through that place and gather some ideas.

I have 2 children and we live in a 1075 sq. ft. home. My hubby is a real stickler for a neat house so it was just never an option for the kiddos to leave messes everywhere. When they were little, I kept a large basket in the living room and would help them pick it up and put a pretty throw on top whenever it was time to clean up.

As soon as they were old enough to pick up after themselves, they were taught to do so and it's just never been an issue. I didn't discipline them for not cleaning up-just taught them to do it and they did. My son is 16 and still keeps his room very neat. My daughter likes to keep her things out and handy so her room gets cluttered a lot but it's organized clutter. :001_smile:

Other than 1 hotspot (you know the place where everyone puts their papers, the mail, etc.) our house isn't cluttered. I purge very regularly. Clutter drives me nuts.

This is my new house. The pics are from before moving our stuff in but we don't have clutter with our stuff in it. Maybe tomorrow I'll take pics with our stuff in it. We have 2 people. I don't know the square footage for sure, but if I remember the measurements correctly it's 252 sq. feet.

post-6173-13535085506844_thumb.jpg

post-6173-13535085507163_thumb.jpg

post-6173-13535085507554_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sputterduck

I do not think it has anything to do with the size, because the bigger your house is, the more stuff you typically have.

I have lived in Europe where 1000 square feet is considered a really big apartment suitable for a large family. People have much less stuff. I am constantly amazed at how many things we have accumulated since we moved to the US and have a house. Before that, we lived with two kids in a 700 sq ft apartment and it was not cluttered at all.

This is my new house. The pics are from before moving our stuff in but we don't have clutter with our stuff in it. Maybe tomorrow I'll take pics with our stuff in it. We have 2 people. I don't know the square footage for sure, but if I remember the measurements correctly it's 252 sq. feet.

adorable. LOVE the exposed beams and tongue and groove ceiling. :001_smile:

That is adorable. I love the walls and the beams. The color of the beams...

Interesting house! Does the couch fold out for a bed?

We live in less than 900 square feet with three kids. Maybe it feels small because we formerly lived in a larger apartment complete with basement. I grew up in a family furniture company that specialized in organization, so our furniture is actually very functional.

Maybe part of the problem is how the space is laid out, with a lot of open space in the kids' room that they don't use and not so much space in the living room which is in constant use.

Emily

Interesting house! Does the couch fold out for a bed?

We live in less than 900 square feet with three kids. Maybe it feels small because we formerly lived in a larger apartment complete with basement. I grew up in a family furniture company that specialized in organization, so our furniture is actually very functional.

Maybe part of the problem is how the space is laid out, with a lot of open space in the kids' room that they don't use and not so much space in the living room which is in constant use.

Emily

Yes, it does, but my son is going to be sleeping on it folded up and I'm building a bunk to fit over it for my bed.

For those who live in small houses with little kids, how did you train them to keep their things in check?

We are in a smallish home. Not tiny by any means. We have about 1100 sf of actual living space (plus a small 1 car garage). We are 4.5 people. I say that because it is me, my husband, our two sons and a fair amount of time my dad stays with us.

The main way that we keep all of our things in check is by just not having too many of them. We have a small number of clothing items per person. My husband and I keep our hobbies limited in space. Our kids have a limited number of toys. We don't bring new things into the house without thinking about it first and often without getting rid of something else.

We also have furniture that is on the small side so as to the feeling of more space and to leave room for doing yoga and playing.

My brother's house is larger than ours, in the lower 2000 sf range and they just have so much stuff, it looks and is very, very cluttered. My nieces have a totally overstuffed, trashed playroom that is gigantic - as large as our LR, DR and kitchen combined. There are soooo many toys. I would lose my mind.